• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warmest lining for gloves

langdon

Reaction score
I am looking to get a pair of gloves to replace ones I lost recently.
Being in the midwest it gets pretty cold with winds off Lake Michigan so I wanted to see what lining material best retains heat inside of leather gloves and wicks sufficient moisture away from the hands. Would you go with fleece, cashmere, silk, fur, or something synthetic like Thinsulate

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the thickness of the lining, but the cashmere lined Dents I have are good for fall weather (maybe down to 0 degrees Celsius). My fur lined and shearling gloves are much warmer, comfortable down to 20 below or so. The shearling ones are my favourites for harsh weather.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
I guess it depends on the thickness of the lining, but the cashmere lined Dents I have are good for fall weather (maybe down to 0 degrees Celsius). My fur lined and shearling gloves are much warmer, comfortable down to 20 below or so. The shearling ones are my favourites for harsh weather.

Any recommendations for brands or sellers of shearling gloves? I need a WARM pair of gloves for the season here.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a reference point, I have a pair of kidskin gloves from Madova lined with cashmere. They're fairly warm, but if the temperature drops down to blizzard-like conditions, I reach for gloves blessed by the power of technology.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
As a reference point, I have a pair of kidskin gloves lined with cashmere. They're fairly warm, but if the temperature drops down to blizzard-like conditions, I reach for gloves blessed by the power of technology.

I have yet to see an attractive pair of gloves made with synthetic tech-fabrics. If you're exploring the Arctic, go for it, but for city wear I would stick with shearling.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
I have yet to see an attractive pair of gloves made with synthetic tech-fabrics. If you're exploring the Arctic, go for it, but for city wear I would stick with shearling.

Yep, I agree.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by langdon
I am looking to get a pair of gloves to replace ones I lost recently. Being in the midwest it gets pretty cold with winds off Lake Michigan so I wanted to see what lining material best retains heat inside of leather gloves and wicks sufficient moisture away from the hands. Would you go with fleece, cashmere, silk, fur, or something synthetic like Thinsulate
I lived near Chicago for a lot of years so I know how cold it gets near the lake. You haven't experienced misery until you find yourself on N. Michigan Avenue when the temp is -15F or so with a nice gale coming straight off the lake. If you aren't going to be out in it for any length of time Filson makes a nice leather glove that's Merino wool lined. If you do have to be in it a bit then I would look for something made for Alpine use. This kind of glove is actually two pairs you use together. The inner glove is the wicking layer and makes for a nice cool weather glove on it's own. The outer glove is usually heavily insulated with thinsulate and is water/wind proof. If you have to work in conditions like that then it's another ball game altogether. Then you're looking at heavy mittens with about a half inch of insulation or you'll be stuffing hand warmers down your gloves to keep them warm. I do not miss Chicago Winters at all. You can keep them. LOL. There's also an old trick you need to keep in mind. If you got cold hands and feet cover your head. If you don't it won't matter what you wear you'll get cold.

Patek14

Reaction score
I agree that thickness and amount of insulation will play a major role in the overall heat loss resistance level.

speaking from my gut feel on material resistivity (i.e., insulative ability independant of thickness), synthetic material like thinsulate wins.

I have 2 pairs of gloves with thin linings, one has cashmere lining and one is thinsulate. Both are thin for maximum dexterity, but thinsulate feels the warmest to me. That said, I prefer cashmere lining because it feels nicer on my hands.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with some of these insulation materials is they do not insulate when wet or damp. Wool is one I know for sure insulates when wet. I'm not aware of any man made material that insulates when wet though that technology may have changed. Some furs do insulate when wet others do not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads