• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rammie
No, not really. I think the double to single tapering makes the shoe look front-heavy and also too heavy overall as it is applied on all kinds of styles that wheren't intended to be so heavy. It does make the shoe look "sturdy" though, but I think it's a stupid compromise as it ***** up the balance (and as fritzl said it makes the shoe look less refined) and that's why I would prefer going with a double sole all the way if I wanted a sturdier shoe. And since my body isn't too muscular or overweight (185 cm/80 kg) I'd imagine a 1.5 sole would be more than enough to give that overall solid feel to the shoe.

a man after my taste.
fing02[1].gif
bigstar[1].gif

@kolecho

as i said before, it's more evident for the smaller sizes in comparison to i.e. gdl or gnatty, period

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must have been living in a cave all this time. How does one order a pair of Vass, without travelling to Hungary?

Do they offer shoes by mail and phone? Or through an SF intermediary? Kolecho??

banis

Reaction score
You can order shoes directly from Vass. Just drop them e-mail. If anything is not in stock, it takes about 4-5 weeks to make a pair + shipping time.

888style

Reaction score
You should know your size in U and F last though....

Imperator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
You don't think it is elegant or you don't think it is inelegant?

Doesn't matter anyway as you just hate all shoes that aren't made by like three artisans around your place. I do like a lot of the shoes you post but I sure wouldn't trust your opinion on any other shoes but those...

+1

Fritzl and Sterling's condescension towards shoes not made by hand by old Austrian men is obnoxious.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imperator
+1

Fritzl and Sterling's condescension towards shoes not made by hand by old Austrian men is obnoxious.

uuuuh, strong words

especially, if you are calling out two persons whose enthusiasm is not merely based on theoretical experience.

show me yours and i show your mine.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
uuuuh, strong words especially, if you are calling out two persons whose enthusiasm is not merely based on theoretical experience. show me yours and i show your mine.
What we're saying is that we're happy about the knowledge you provide regarding those makers but that you tend to dismiss other well designed and more than decently made shoes. You suffer from shoevinism...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
What we're saying is that we're happy about the knowledge you provide regarding those makers but that you tend to dismiss other well designed and more than decently made shoes. You suffer from shoevinism...
who is we? ...and for the second part please give me one or more examples. thanks btw, is gemming the new black?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
who is we? ...and for the second part please give me one or more examples. thanks
we= I + what I assume the guy who agreed with me meant. I'm not going to go through your posts, you've done this several times, enough in fact for it to be one of your defining characteristics on the board. As I said I don't hate you or anything and the makers you discuss make really nice shoes, I just don't care about what you have to say about say, Corthay. I don't know what gemming means...

Imperator

Reaction score
uuuuh, strong words especially, if you are calling out two persons whose enthusiasm is not merely based on theoretical experience. show me yours and i show your mine.
I think you missed the point. Admittedly, you know far more than I know (or that I'd ever care to know) about shoes. I just tire of the constant swipes at shoes unlucky enough to have been made by someone other than "Mr. Kiss." We understand; the world would be a much better place if we all wore hand-made Austrian shoes (which, conveniently, you happen to sell, another fact you're fond of repeating). I actually really like them, and will look into buying a pair when I get a chance, but you come off like a pedantic, repetitive boor.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No more words.. More pics!
This week: I need more for my rotation.. Damn, Feb can't come around fast enough..
L1000034-8.jpg

L1000007-8-1.jpg

L1000066-8.jpg

L1000009-8BW.jpg

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i think there are certain shoes which the double taper suits very well, and by adding that make the balance og the shoe a lot better, but then again i still think the more sleeker designs should have a single sole.

on my Vass's i have both, but it is design dependent

now is vass did a full doulbe sole on both the F and U lasts that would be great, but they dont so for some - not alot of choice!

walneal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vash offers a higher variety of Shell colours and MTO patterns with a reasonable premium.
While you can only get regular Shell models from Alden vendors.
Both are great shoes and great value for the money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads