• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top six books for you

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
I don't think I've read a Heinlein novel, but I never get why actions/thoughts of characters in books or movies are equated with the thoughts of the writer, except when the writer is Steven Seagal, of course.

It's pretty common for writers to do this on purpose, but it's applied/assumed too often. Writers will often do the opposite: have characters do and say one thing in a way to show the writer's disagreement with that action/idea.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
It's pretty common for writers to do this on purpose, but it's applied/assumed too often. Writers will often do the opposite: have characters do and say one thing in a way to show the writer's disagreement with that action/idea.

Death of teh Author FTW!

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had this trouble while reading Rabbit, Run. It was difficult to tease out exactly what Updike was trying to communicate. Especially since Rabbit was such a **** to begin with.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
I had this trouble while reading Rabbit, Run. It was difficult to tease out exactly what Updike was trying to communicate. Especially since Rabbit was such a **** to begin with.

Well, that can be another reading trap. Writers aren't always trying to communicate a particular idea or polemic. Sometimes, they are simply trying to portray a particular character's experience, illustrate the complexity of a situation, or just have some fun. Sometimes, what the author wants to communicate is ambiguity, confusion, or ambivalence.

I always friggin' hated that middle school excercise of having to write a short essay demonstrating that the "theme" of Novel X is one of the four or six off-the-shelf themes (man v. man, man v. self, man v. nature, . . .) that supposedly exist. Teacher, F___ you and your ilk.
smile.gif

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad

I always friggin' hated that middle school excercise of having to write a short essay demonstrating that the "theme" of Novel X is one of the four or six off-the-shelf themes (man v. man, man v. self, man v. nature, . . .) that supposedly exist. Teacher, F___ you and your ilk.
smile.gif

One must walk before one runs, and these themes are mere starting points to paths that will lead you to abstract analysis. Come, lawyerdad...come over to the dark side.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, that can be another reading trap. Writers aren't always trying to communicate a particular idea or polemic. Sometimes, they are simply trying to portray a particular character's experience, illustrate the complexity of a situation, or just have some fun. Sometimes, what the author wants to communicate is ambiguity, confusion, or ambivalence.

Speaking of which, read the preface to Huck Finn.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Speaking of which, read the preface to Huck Finn.

I have, but don't remember it. I'll do so again, thanks. (Obviously, Huck Finn came to mind as folks were discussing the whole attributing-viewpoints-expressed-in-the-book-to-the-author thing.)

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have, but don't remember it.

"PERSONS attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot."

Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens),
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

lawyerdad

Reaction score
"PERSONS attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot."

Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens),
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Muchos gracias.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
yo that IT gang bang wa sfucking terrifying. theres a line like 'she couldn't tell if it was ***** or blood'

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is definitely assumed too often. A bad habit from high school. . .

I remember watching an interview with Benecio Del Toro. He said after "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" he had trouble finding work because everyone assumed he was like Dr Gonzo in real life.

I remember reading an interview with a singer. He said that people always find deep meaning in his songs, but the reality is that he writes the music first and then tries to match words to the music. Thus, all the lyrics are meaningless.

emptym

Reaction score
I'm very predictable: The Bible Aristotle's Ethics Thomas's Summa Lonergan's Method Dostoyevski's Brothers Karamazov Shakespeare's Hamet or Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching or the Bagavad Gita or Ignatius' Spiritual Exercises or Plato's Republic

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of the most influential ones to my life were/are:

Odyssey (Homeros)

Yi Jing (several mythical rulers like Fu Xi and King Wen + Duke of Zhou)

Daodejing (Laozi)

Thus Spake Zarathustra (Nietzsche)

A Rebours (Huysmans)

The Case of Charles Dexter Ward (Lovecraft)

Just off the top of my head...p.s. unfortunately I also peaked at the earlier posts now and e.g. Aristotles Nicomachean Ethic was also very influential to me...but I won't change it now...another good one is e.g. the Enchiridion by (after) Epictetus...etc.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
"What six books are the most powerful, meaningful books you have experienced? These need to be books that you would read over and over, study thoroughly and enjoy."
Am curious about all the mentions of American Psycho. Didn't read it, saw the film. Must have been stronger in print. Books from my list have all been mentioned, except A Fan's Notes by Exxley.​

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads