• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
wow that's not cool... who made her the arbiter of quality all of a sudden?
ffffuuuu.gif

I actually wrote a complaint email just now. I'm totally not against high prices in thrifts (I mean, I'd prefer otherwise, but it's a charity), and I'd even be cool if it was just everything priced at the counter like used records, but switching prices when you get to the counter is illegal.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
Alan, I got a Norman Hilton navy doeskin blazer for $8 today. It looks like it was made by Oxxford, all of the seams and stitching are the same as my old Onwentsia jackets. The tag in the right pocket looks like the old Oxxford one too.
Hilton made high quality stuff. They had their own factory, in fact made RL Polo stuff at one time, so I'd be very surprised if it was made by someone else. I'd love to see pics, including the tag. Norman Hilton interior tags usually have the sheep symbol on them. Great find, by the way. If it's in the 39R range I'd be glad to double your money.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Hilton made high quality stuff. They had their own factory, in fact made RL Polo stuff at one time, so I'd be very surprised if it was made by someone else. I'd love to see pics, including the tag. Norman Hilton interior tags usually have the sheep symbol on them. Great find, by the way. If it's in the 39R range I'd be glad to double your money.
ah, yes - the sheep on the weathervane! nice-quality suits... would you say akin to mainline Hickey Freeman? slightly better? how would you say they compare with Southwick?

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
ah, yes - the sheep on the weathervane! nice-quality suits... would you say akin to mainline Hickey Freeman? slightly better? how would you say they compare with Southwick?
to my non expert self, when you're comparing norman hilton vs hickey freeman vs southwick of that era it is basically all equal construction wise. All fully canvassed, mostly machine made, etc. For my money though, all the norman hilton stuff I have seen has been superior to southwick / HF. Less dated styling, better fabrics, they have just usually felt like more substantial pieces. In fact, I picked up a norman hilton jacket for my brother a while back that was tagged as being made in the mid-70's, and it bore none of the horrific hallmarks of clothing made in that decade.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone seen one of these before? In spite of the fact that its tagged National Geographic, it is a very nice, well made travel jacket. Leather trimmed pockets and cuffs, throat latch and its amazing the features they've built into the inside of this jacket. Its also waterproof using a German system called 3XDry. Virtually new, it amazes me the things that people just give away.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
to my non expert self, when you're comparing norman hilton vs hickey freeman vs southwick of that era it is basically all equal construction wise. All fully canvassed, mostly machine made, etc. For my money though, all the norman hilton stuff I have seen has been superior to southwick / HF. Less dated styling, better fabrics, they have just usually felt like more substantial pieces. In fact, I picked up a norman hilton jacket for my brother a while back that was tagged as being made in the mid-70's, and it bore none of the horrific hallmarks of clothing made in that decade.

I'd say this is probably right. I think Hilton was a smaller operation and more hands on. I think you'll find a lot more classic styling and probably higher quality and more interesting fabrics than the other US makers.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
On the other hand, I took my stuff to the front and the lady examined the ties, and said, "Hmm, three dollars each." And the posted price was two dollars, and I said, "I thought they were two dollars." And she replied, "No. Depends on quality." And I said, "Doesn't say that anywhere around here, it says ties $2." And then I just gave it up because it was only a matter of $2, but still... give me a break.

They did the same thing to me a few months back at the Salvation Army. The ties were posted at $1.99 but the cashier charged me $3.99 because it was "higher quality". It was a Charvet - and a good, genuine charity - so I didn't argue. Still, I have a feeling he had no idea what Charvet was; he simply charged me more because 1) I had so thoroughly gone thru the rack that he knew I knew what I was looking for and 2) I looked like I could pay more.

Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
Anyone seen one of these before?

That's a good find. That jacket is extremely recent: its selling at the National Geographic online store right now for $159.00

Originally Posted by Nataku
7 Kilgour shirts in my size! $12/each

Epic!
worship.gif

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not clothing, but here is a find that should appeal to thrifters ... Op-shop staff find cash stash in furniture Mex Cooper November 6, 2009 - 10:38AM Op-shop workers have handed in thousands of dollars left behind in furniture donated by a mystery person in Melbourne's south-east. The news of the lucrative discovery comes two days after a postal worker took a package containing $100,000 to a police station on Wednesday. Police are hunting for the owner of the large amount of cash forgotten in furniture left at the Salvation Army Store in Rowville last Friday. The money was held in several separate packages, labelled with a name, inside a piece of furniture. Police have been unable to track down the person named and would like to speak to anyone who knows about the furniture delivery. Few details of the stash have been released in a bid to weed out the rightful owner. Australia Post worker "Georgia" was yesterday praised by police after handing in a container stuffed with $100,000 in $50 bills. The ATM cartridge had been left behind by a security company at the rear of Georgia's work in Clayton South. She took the unopened package, which was covered in $50 notes stickers, to a police station. This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/national/op...1106-i0zn.html

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
That's a good find. That jacket is extremely recent: its selling at the National Geographic online store right now for $159.00.

I don't think its ever been worn, but it lacks the tags to prove it. Sadly, its too small so it'll go up for sale or trade.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

DSC07019.jpg

DSC07021.jpg

$12? Wow. What kind of thrift is that? One of those phony charity thrifts?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DSC07019.jpg

DSC07021.jpg

great find! where are they made?

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Hilton made high quality stuff. They had their own factory, in fact made RL Polo stuff at one time, so I'd be very surprised if it was made by someone else. I'd love to see pics, including the tag. Norman Hilton interior tags usually have the sheep symbol on them.

Great find, by the way. If it's in the 39R range I'd be glad to double your money.

I know Hilton had their own shop, but the similarity to the Chicago company is uncanny. I have worn some of the gear Hilton made for Ralph, and this jacket might be above that in construction. The canvas is very thick and heavy like Oxxford used until recently, so the jacket is a bit stiff compared to the Italian lines most are used to now. The cut is like the old Polo with darts and lots of suppression, but with narrow lapels and some wadding in the shoulder. More English than Ivy.

Sorry buddy it is a 41 Long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads