The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

interesting! how wide are they?

4". Not a problem for me. You can imagine the knot.

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

A slew of vintage Ralph Lauren/Polo ties--most of them bearing a $15 msrp, which would take them back to the very beginning. Unusual and elaborate woven silks and woolens; closest contemporary reference might be Duchamp (-25 yrs or so).

Pics? I've never seen early RL pieces.

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Damn! Now I can't complain about never finding nice shoes! I got a tip from a thrifting buddy that a thrift store I stopped frequenting about a year ago (too far away and there were too many visits that yielded nothing) got some great shoes in. He picked up some goodies from the lot as well. I high-tailed it up there before work and managed to grab these: Sanders black whole-cuts ($25 - the most expensive of the lot, but the nicest.) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] These may be for sale here soon - I tried them on with my thickest socks and they're still a bit too large. Bah!

4. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

5. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

I've hit a bit of a dry spell lately until today...

Vintage - Florsheim Imperial Longwings in Black & Tan & Florsheim Imperial Shell bluchers

Allen Edmonds Leeds
    NWT Havana Joe Rugged Casual Classic brown napa
    CC Filson Passage Medium Dispatch bag
    Schaefer Fleece lined saddle coat
    Australian Outback Collection houndstooth fleece vest

6. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

I've hit a bit of a dry spell lately until today...

Vintage - Florsheim Imperial Longwings in Black & Tan & Florsheim Imperial Shell bluchers

Allen Edmonds Leeds
    NWT Havana Joe Rugged Casual Classic brown napa
    CC Filson Passage Medium Dispatch bag
    Schaefer Fleece lined saddle coat
    Australian Outback Collection houndstooth fleece vest

Is that two pair of vintage Florsheim Imperial Longwings, one in black and one in tan, or was that a two-tone pair of Florsheim Imperial Longwings?

If so...[​IMG]

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Had a decent day today. - Handful of older Gucci ties and newer Ferragamo ties @ .99 each - Seize sur Vingt blue/white minicheck shirt. My size, but it fits small [​IMG] - Recent navy cotton D/B blazer from Burberry. It's made in Italy - I always thought their coats/jackets were either made in England or the US. - Recent green flat-front moleskin trousers from Zanella - A signed LP from a band called "Faster Pussycat".

8. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

Is that two pair of vintage Florsheim Imperial Longwings, one in black and one in tan, or was that a two-tone pair of Florsheim Imperial Longwings?

If so...[​IMG]

[​IMG] I wish it was a two-tone. I will settle for two pair though. [​IMG] The uppers and inners on both are great, but both need resoling.

9. mainy

mainy Senior member

depressing day
    found a treasure trove of really old vintage brooks bros stuff, golden fleece suits in heavy flannels, blazers.. every single piece had moth damage or some other flaw. brought a tear to my eye

10. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

It was tie day today:
    A sweet polka dot Rubinacci tie $1.73
    2 Hermes ties, NWOT for $2.00
    A NWT Charvet shirt for $18.00

11. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

A couple of finds yesterday:

RL Polo lambswool:

[​IMG]

RL Polo hand knit shawl collar, not nearly as bright in real life as it appears in the pics. My wife hates it. Anybody know the vintage?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Thrifted a pretty cool Burberry's hat, you know like an old man's hat. Its quite old, made in England.

Looks kinda like this, but mine is blue:

[​IMG]

(... and thats not me)

How do you wash one of these w/o losing the shape?

13. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

Had a great experience and a lousy one today.

Was in a favorite thrift of mine, and a guy asked me where I got my pocket square. I told him, and he seemed nice. I picked up a Brooks Brothers tuxedo shirt, and it was my size, so I walked away with it. Maybe two or three minutes later, the guy said, "did you want that, because I was going to buy it?" and I said, "Oh, sorry man." And he said, "don't worry about it, there's another one, I'm fine. I guess we're the same size." So after I checked out, I just gave him the six bucks and told him I was buying his, because that was a super nice thing to do.

On the other hand, I took my stuff to the front and the lady examined the ties, and said, "Hmm, three dollars each." And the posted price was two dollars, and I said, "I thought they were two dollars." And she replied, "No. Depends on quality." And I said, "Doesn't say that anywhere around here, it says ties $2." And then I just gave it up because it was only a matter of $2, but still... give me a break.

14. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Senior member

Alan, I got a Norman Hilton navy doeskin blazer for $8 today. It looks like it was made by Oxxford, all of the seams and stitching are the same as my old Onwentsia jackets. The tag in the right pocket looks like the old Oxxford one too.

15. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

On the other hand, I took my stuff to the front and the lady examined the ties, and said, "Hmm, three dollars each." And the posted price was two dollars, and I said, "I thought they were two dollars." And she replied, "No. Depends on quality." And I said, "Doesn't say that anywhere around here, it says ties $2." And then I just gave it up because it was only a matter of $2, but still... give me a break.

wow that's not cool... who made her the arbiter of quality all of a sudden? [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.