• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Overrated Musical Artists

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
This guy:
hp_aconcagua_pablo_carcamo_53419jpg.gif

He's a prick

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jay-z (one amazing album, two pretty good ones, rest ****)

Tupac (Usually fans of his don't listen to to many other rappers)

Radiohead (Creep is their only song I can listen to now)

Kanye (one good album)

Don't really listen these guys, but I don't see the big deal:
Billy Joel
Eagles
Eric Clapton
Springsteen
Neil Diamond

Before my time I guess

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've come to the realization that the Eagles just suck huge donkey dick. Used to listen to them a lot.
confused.gif
Billy Joel, OTOH, is a god!

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
HELL YEAH!

Seriously, Prince is in no way, shape or form overrated.

All the glitz and show made people think he wasn't a substantial musician or writer. Neither of which was true. He certainly was occasionally self-indulgent and could go off the rails at times, but who doesn't? The guy might have been the greatest natural musician since Stevie Wonder.

EDIT: He's also put out really great stuff at every phase of his career.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
No and No. If anything Prince is underrated.
I've come to the realization that the Eagles just suck huge donkey dick. Used to listen to them a lot.
confused.gif

Yes on Prince, and yes on the Eagles. The Eagles were a big part of the soundtrack of my teen years, and I finally saw them in concert a few years ago and was utterly underwhelmed. I'd have been better off using the price of the tickets and buying a BluRay player and a dvd of their concert.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Yes on Prince, and yes on the Eagles.
The Eagles were a big part of the soundtrack of my teen years, and I finally saw them in concert a few years ago and was utterly underwhelmed.

I'd have been better off using the price of the tickets and buying a BluRay player and a dvd of their concert.

I'm torn on the Eagles. I tend to think of them as rated about right. I saw them in concert in 2001 and while I thoroughly enjoyed the show I understand the criticism of them as a bit pre-packaged and commercial in their later iterations. That said, if you can pick up the DVD of Hell Freezes Over (from 1994, I think) I thought it was amazing. The acoustic guitar work by Don Felder (especially) and Joe Walsh was fan-friggin-tastic. It broke my heart when they kicked Felder out of the band (again). It really damaged them musically, IMO.

I think that they have made a decision that generally in concert their fans want to hear all the old music performed lick-for-lick like they remember it on the albums. So that's what they deliver.

Hotel California, though...as an album in it's day was transformational. It's still friggin' greatness. The Miami Vice years that followed were not good to them musically speaking though.

Agnacious

Reaction score
I never understood the love for Lenny Kravitz. And while I don't mind some Jimmy Buffet, I don't think he ever should have risen past friday night feature act at a local bar.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
And while I don't mind some Jimmy Buffet, I don't think he ever should have risen past friday night feature act at a local bar.

I hate Jimmy Buffet and all that he stands for. That said, some friends dragged me to one of his concerts a couple of years ago and I had a great time. It's like eating at McDonalds. You know you shouldn't do it for all kinds of reasons, but sometimes that QP w/C, large fries and a coke at 1am after leaving the bar is just what the doctor ordered.

That said...I agree, overrated.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know how many people here actually have musical training or education.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
HELL YEAH!

Seriously, Prince is in no way, shape or form overrated.

confused.gif

Billy Joel, OTOH, is a god!

+1 on Prince. He is seriously, obscenely talented.

Eagles...mneh. I'll listen to a song, and think: that was nice. But I don't seek out anything they've done.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
I'd like to know how many people here actually have musical training or education.

Irrelevant to the conversation, but my education consists of nearly 40 years of listening to it on a daily basis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads