1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Most Overrated Musical Artists

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Oct 8, 2009.

1. 1969

1969 Senior member

I'd like to know how many people here actually have musical training or education.

Pretty much anyone who can hear? Fuck "experts"--

2. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

I do too.

I'm never too sure how this over/under rating goes so I'll abstain. Is it about critical recognition or sales/success? I mean Britney Spears is obviously not critically overrated...

The beauty part is that this is the interwebz. There are no rules and no accountability. The standards can be whatever you decide they are and you are their arbitor. You declare an answer to any imponderable question and call people names for disagreeing with you.

At least that's how I do it.

3. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I dunno, the thing is no one with a hint of musical taste would argue that Dave Matthews Band does not suck while saying that My Bloody Valentine is overrated could get you thrown to the wolves. For the record I don't think mBV is overrated, fucking luv 'em.

4. Mark from Plano

I dunno, the thing is no one with a hint of musical taste would argue that Dave Matthews Band does not suck while saying that My Bloody Valentine is overrated could get you thrown to the wolves. For the record I don't think mBV is overrated, fucking luv 'em.

See. That wasn't so hard, was it?

5. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

^great from 81 to 85

^mediocre from 86-90

^inexcusable since

Agree with 81-85, War gets a lot of cred because that was the album that really got them noticed. Unforgetable Fire is still one of my all time favs almost 25 years later. Boy & October are really good as well

The last couple have been ok. Pop though???????

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

See. That wasn't so hard, was it?

What I'm saying is that Dave Matthews band is rated exactly as it should (complete crap) by music critics and enlightened listeners so there's no fight to be found in naming them. We should concentrate on critically recognized bands like mBV or Bob Dylan or whatever...

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I do too.

I'm never too sure how this over/under rating goes so I'll abstain. Is it about critical recognition or sales/success? I mean Britney Spears is obviously not critically overrated...

I'm going by a bit of each. Of particular sorry, is a band that was once worthy of its press and now should be hitting the early bird special at the Sizzler. U2, is of course, the best example of this.

8. Mark from Plano

What I'm saying is that Dave Matthews band is rated exactly as it should (complete crap) by music critics and enlightened listeners so there's no fight to be found in naming them. We should concentrate on critically recognized bands like mBV or Bob Dylan or whatever...

I know and you followed my formula exactly in saying it. You made a declarative statement with no subjective standards ("Dave Matthews Band sucks") and called people names who disagreed ("no one with an ounce of musical taste would disagree"). Awesome. Combine that with the fact that they've made a fortune selling albums to just those people and you have the formula for overrated.

You're a natural at this. I'm impressed [​IMG]

9. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

^You probably find Matthews annoying... His music does not suck, IMHO. Don't know about the overrated part. I was with you on the first post.

10. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I know and you followed my formula exactly in saying it. You made a declarative statement with no subjective standards ("Dave Matthews Band sucks") and called people names who disagreed ("no one with an ounce of musical taste would disagree"). Awesome. Combine that with the fact that they've made a fortune selling albums to just those people and you have the formula for overrated.

DMB played outdoors an hour away from me this past summer. $79 ticket.

11. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

Wait! I thought of one...Madonna.

12. GiltEdge

GiltEdge Senior member

Rappers, Hip Hoppers, heavy metal, anyone who won their music fame through a TV game show.

13. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

Rappers, Hip Hoppers, heavy metal
    Fail.

14. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

billy joel is the ed hardy of music.

15. Teger

Teger Senior member

bob dylan as a performer

16. why

why Senior member

The Doors' problem is all the attention garnered by Jim Morrison and his general antics overshadowing the talent of band members like Ray Manzarek. They aren't overrated, they're just on too many teen t-shirts.

17. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

18. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

Anyone who says The Doors are overrated probably doesn't understand music much. Their problem is all the attention garnered by Jim Morrison and his general antics overshadowing the talent of band members like Ray Manzarek.

The Doors.

19. Teger

Teger Senior member

sublime is good but definitely overrated
    snoop dogg had like 5 good songs in 1995 and yet still hangs around

20. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

^^Snoop is more about his persona, who hasn't heard of him? He has mother goose rhymes but a unique flow and voice. Also early Dr. Dre production didn't hurt.
    Fail.
    +1 Also anyone who uses the phrase "hip hoppers" can not possibly be cool IRL.