• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Overrated Musical Artists

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh. Half of this thread is backlash against great artists that just don't do it for some people (often for genre reasons) or can't possibly live up to the hype (all you have to do is think a single band is better than the Beatles and you can construct a half-assed argument for them being overrated), and the other half is people calling bands overrated that aren't that highly rated to begin with. I mean, does anyone know anyone who thinks that the Killers or Kings of Leon are great bands? People who aren't marsupialed? I mean I like them both, but nobody's claiming they're this generation's Pink Floyd or whatever (cue Pink Floyd haters).

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Meh. Half of this thread is backlash against great artists that just don't do it for some people (often for genre reasons) or can't possibly live up to the hype, and the other half is people calling bands overrated that aren't that highly rated to begin with. I mean, does anyone know anyone who things that the Killers or Kings of Leon are great bands?

yes. same goes for all the other 'overrated' or 'underrated ' threads around here on clothes or whatever. it comes down to preference mainly. should be termed rather, what music artists i dont like.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
In a world where music is either overrated or underrated, these ten artists got exactly what they deserved.
By Chuck Klosterman

If you are the kind of...

Good article. I was waiting for someone to mention Wilco--is everyone here a fan? For me, they'd go on the correctly rated list up to "A Ghost is Born".

The Beatles definitely belong on the correctly rated list, too.

+17 to the Dave Matthews Band.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Meh. Half of this thread is backlash against great artists that just don't do it for some people (often for genre reasons) or can't possibly live up to the hype (all you have to do is think a single band is better than the Beatles and you can construct a half-assed argument for them being overrated), and the other half is people calling bands overrated that aren't that highly rated to begin with. I mean, does anyone know anyone who things that the Killers or Kings of Leon are great bands? People who aren't marsupialed?

Yes, except U2. They are overrated.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
anyone been to Downtown Disney in Anaheim? there is this (or used to be, i dont know, havent been there in awhile) 'violinist' -violin player, rather, who plays these mainstream classical pieces along with the actual soundtrack from a cd accompanying him in the background. this guy plays like only 6 pieces and repeats over and over again and the actual 'skill'? of his playing is drowned out by the soundtrack playing in the background. plus he wears the same clothes every single day: a white linen shirt and baggy black pants that are completey stretched out and homely looking. but he conjures up tons of people watching him and buying his cd (of what? him playing his violin along an already orchestrated melody in the background?)
I'm pretty sure I saw this exact guy in Penn Station on a subway platform. He was playing Vivaldi's Four Seasons: Spring along with a CD player. I like the song, so I slipped him a buck. He then proceeds to talk to me while I wait for my train. Dude, just take the money and play your ****, I don't want to converse.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
I'm pretty sure I saw this exact guy in Penn Station on a subway platform. He was playing Vivaldi's Four Seasons: Spring along with a CD player. I like the song, so I slipped him a buck. He then proceeds to talk to me while I wait for my train. Dude, just take the money and play your ****, I don't want to converse.

yes, that is one of the pieces he plays. he is at the subway now? good for him

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84

I think Joshua Bell did this exact same thing and very few people either recognized him to stopped to listen. But then again I think he's overrated.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whole lota haterade in this thread..

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This guy:

hp_aconcagua_pablo_carcamo_53419jpg.gif

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
yes, that is one of the pieces he plays. he is at the subway now? good for him

I only saw him once. I doubt I'll see him again. Penn Station performers have been rather absent lately.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Prince

Bob Marley

No and No.

If anything Prince is underrated.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Wow, this reads like a synopsis of the Pitchfork number 1 album of the decade, from the grunge transition right down to "computers and future" points finishing off with listenability:

Before Kid A I listened to ******* DJ Tiesto, Soundgarden, and Korn. Clearly I had little musical taste then (maybe now too) but for me and music it was "before Kid A" and "after Kid A." Maybe b/c "before Kid A" was such garbage, heh.
blush.gif

I don't know about Radiohead being the bestest of the decade or w/e (like a lot of people proclaim), and I'm lukewarm about some other albums (Thief, Amnesiac felt half-baked) but they did right by me in 2000.

Anyway, the other nomination is Kings of Leon. They're overhyped U2-wannabes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads