• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got a small grey oxford that I bought a few weeks ago for the full price, if anyone could use it PM me. We will work out a deal for it.

Jpreme87

Reaction score
Has anyone tried on the Rogues Gallery tees?

xanatos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coldsnap
I got a small grey oxford that I bought a few weeks ago for the full price, if anyone could use it PM me. We will work out a deal for it.

Are those the ones that are wrapped up and have a thinner material. You should keep it. I love those and just bought a bunch. Doesn't fit right or something?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guus
The Sutherland Trench Cost came in this afternoon and here are my thoughts on it:

I bought a small and it fits well around the shoulders and arms however it is a bit widder around the hips than I thought it would be. Doesn't make sense to me.

Did you forget to use the clothespins?

3992512138_766d3649d9_o.jpg

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
main reason i only buy simple sweatshirts and club shorts from them... its to hard to **** that up.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Bunch of the secret wash tartans have been added to Final Sale. Makes me somewhat regret pulling the trigger at full retail--but then again I wouldn't have had any shirts to wear all this time. Nor would I have looked so fashion-forward months before everyone else got them.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lendo
So i got the langham jacket in the mail today, size small. fits pretty big. i'm going to try and exchange it for the extra small and see how it works out. nice looking jacket overall.

Sometimes, when I wanna feel like a real old fat fk, I pay attention to these sizing posts.

I just don't understand it. I have this jacket and bought it in a L, my normal size. I feel it runs pretty true to size, if even a bit slim.

I am 5'9", 175 lbs, avg build.

What must one be to wear an XS? 103 lbs?

Maybe the obesity trend in the US is over?

Maybe I'm just an old dude who doesn't understand (37 yrs old).

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon
Sometimes, when I wanna feel like a real old fat fk, I pay attention to these sizing posts.

I just don't understand it. I have this jacket and bought it in a L, my normal size. I feel it runs pretty true to size, if even a bit slim.

I am 5'9", 175 lbs, avg build.

What must one be to wear an XS? 103 lbs?

Maybe the obesity trend in the US is over?

Maybe I'm just an old dude who doesn't understand (37 yrs old).

Ha ha. I hear ya. I don't think I'm fat or even "husky." I'm very close to my ideal weight (by BMI) and very healthy and fit. And yet these size criticisms of J. Crew make me wonder what I'm doing wrong. I fit perfectly fine in a Large, which J. Crew prescribes for someone of my stature; the stuff is neither baggy nor tight.

XS is like borderline boys size, as far as I can tell. It is pretty funny that we hear all these crits about "fat Americans" and in fact there seem to be no fat ones here on this board. Maybe they're all skinny French boys?

At the same time, I look at some of the fit pix in WAYWT and think they look like they're wearing their kid brother's shirts. So maybe it is just that I'm an old fart too.

Lendo

Reaction score
I'm not skinny by any stretch. I'm 5' 5 1/2" or so and 150lbs on a good day and I've got somewhat broad shoulders. I don't go for the skin tight look w/ j. crew stuff, as it's impossible. I just happen to fall in the unfortunate area between small & extra small depending on the cut. The corduroy workwear jacket in small was actually a bit tight in the chest, and the medium was way too big. Also, being a bit on the shorter side, just about everything they sell is too long on me. The new pinpoint oxfords for example are very long, but the fact that the buttons are so far down make it hard for me to have the shirt shortened by a tailor. I used to be able to wear the xs in their shirts, but nowadays they are a bit too tight in the chest for me. I am in pretty good shape, when time provides i train bjj & crossfit 3-5 days a week.

Here's just a quick comparison shot to visualize what i'm talking about:
5879b98c.jpg

that's the chambray in small. it's still just a bit roomier than i'd like, but i'm not really willing to spend another $100 to see if xs will fit.

P8310015.jpg

"favorite shirt" in small, fits pretty well but still maybe a little on the long side. the sleeves are definitely too baggy.

c2371b35.jpg

that's an xs ocdb i've had for about 3-4 years. the fit on it is great. sadly, that's no longer the case with their shirts.

and i can't even think about buttoning the neck on any shirts i own from them unless i want to walk around all day lightheaded from restricted blood flow to my brain.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I can see how J. Crew sizes might be an issue for someone your height. And 150 is not exactly big either.

Lendo

Reaction score
Maybe the sizing issues are just for the smaller sizes, judging by the responses of some of the med/l/xl wearers on the board. Being a bit shorter definitely makes it harder as far as shirts and the like go, pants can always be hemmed, but it's definitely a different story w/ shirts and outerwear.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Anybody been in the store yet this week? Any new roll outs?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads