• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

E-P1 vs GF1

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
ep1-gf1-1.jpg
ep1-gf1-2.jpg
ep1-gf1-3.jpg
I bought the GF-1 yesterday morning in Tokyo. I can't seem to change the bastard into English. ffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Couple of quick observations: GF-1 has a more functional read-out and interface, less stupid animations. GF-1 is slightly faster in focusing GF-1 is noticeably lighter GF-1 LCD is very nice GF-1 control wheel is a bit stiff, the upper control wheel on E-P1 is nicer but at least there's no stupid dial with buttons mounted on it Panasonic 20mm 1.7 is nice, OOF areas rendered nicely

aizan

Reaction score
son of a *****. have fun with your new toys.

Albern

Reaction score
I'm no camera expert but how come the camera lenses for both models are reversed in the first pic?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
They're just "open" like that, them swingers...

mrmax

Reaction score
yfyf, Im considering selling the E-P1 for the GF1, I've not been impressed with the E-P1 at all. Is this worthwhile or should I pack it in and go back to the DL4? Your thoughts?

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yfyf, when you have a moment, can you extrapolate a bit more on the merits and quality of each and which, if you had to buy one, would it be?

Also, do you have any Leica lenses that you mount on the camera? I want to know which would be best for the 4/3 camera.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrmax
yfyf, Im considering selling the E-P1 for the GF1, I've not been impressed with the E-P1 at all. Is this worthwhile or should I pack it in and go back to the DL4? Your thoughts?

What made you unimpressed with the E-P1? The GF-1's autofocus is better than the E-P1, but it's not DSLR speed either. I do find the interface, both buttons and software-wise, better on the GF-1. For me, the EVF is a big deal, but I haven't able to get an EVF yet.

Having a flash on the GF-1 is great though. I thought I could live without it but I was wrong.

Image quality seems identical to the E-P1, I think both are good in that respect.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
yfyf, when you have a moment, can you extrapolate a bit more on the merits and quality of each and which, if you had to buy one, would it be? Also, do you have any Leica lenses that you mount on the camera? I want to know which would be best for the 4/3 camera.
Unfortunately I don't have the m4/3 to M-mount adapter. I sold most of my rangefinder lenses but I still have a Voigtlander 40mm 1.4 and a 21mm 4 sitting around. To be honest, at first I was really excited that I could mount M-mount lenses on, but when you factor in a 2x crop factor, it doesn't suit my needs anymore. I want < f/2.8, 24mm - 35mm sort of range FOVs. A 40mm 1.4 acting like an 80mm is useless to me. I still wish they would make a true m4/3 lens with a distance scale though grr...

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
nice...quick post your review once you get full english functionality

I don't think there is any on mine. I'm a little bit shocked. First time I've ever bought a Japanese camera and not had it have switchable languages. The manual makes no mention, I've gone through every single menu option and my girlfriend had a look at both too, nothing.

milosh

Reaction score
@yfyf: I think you have to buy the &quot;foreigners version&quot; of the GF1 in Japan.

If I were you I would keep the GF1.

mrmax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
What made you unimpressed with the E-P1? The GF-1's autofocus is better than the E-P1, but it's not DSLR speed either. I do find the interface, both buttons and software-wise, better on the GF-1. For me, the EVF is a big deal, but I haven't able to get an EVF yet.

Having a flash on the GF-1 is great though. I thought I could live without it but I was wrong.

Image quality seems identical to the E-P1, I think both are good in that respect.

For me the biggest EP-1 problems are:

1. Autofocus (having it cycle thru the focus each time is ridiculous, even on the pancake). Noted its better on the GF1.

2. Focus selection box is huge! Is there an option on the GF1 to resize it? For a camera capable of such narrow DOF it seems crazy to have such a big box.

3. Interface is terrible. Noted its better on the GF1.

4. EVF for me is also huge. I cant get used to holding a camera in front of me for manual focus control. Of course I knew this going in, I just thought it would be easier to get used to it.

I use a 5DMk2 usually and like having access to all of the AF points. I think the GF1+EVF might be perfect for a similar workflow.

Who uses the VF on the EP-1? There are no scales for hyperfocal calculation, so how is it used? Look thru the VF and hope for the best? It must be for cosmetic purposes, posers only. Its still in bubble wrap in my box.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads