• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

E-P1 vs GF1

FatMod

Reaction score
Haven't the EP-1 AF problems been sorted with the latest firmware? If not I may hold out for the EP-2 and keep the DSLR for now (I'm considering downsizing).

The GF1 seems technically superior but I really do like the authentic styling of the EP-1.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrmax
For me the biggest EP-1 problems are:

1. Autofocus (having it cycle thru the focus each time is ridiculous, even on the pancake). Noted its better on the GF1.

2. Focus selection box is huge! Is there an option on the GF1 to resize it? For a camera capable of such narrow DOF it seems crazy to have such a big box.

3. Interface is terrible. Noted its better on the GF1.

4. EVF for me is also huge. I cant get used to holding a camera in front of me for manual focus control. Of course I knew this going in, I just thought it would be easier to get used to it.

I use a 5DMk2 usually and like having access to all of the AF points. I think the GF1+EVF might be perfect for a similar workflow.

Who uses the VF on the EP-1? There are no scales for hyperfocal calculation, so how is it used? Look thru the VF and hope for the best? It must be for cosmetic purposes, posers only. Its still in bubble wrap in my box.

MrMax:

1. It doesn't rack as much on the GF1

2. The selection box is huge on the GF1 too but if you are in center-point focus, it does seem to hone in on the exact center. I sometimes have to help it a bit by looking for a contrasty thing in the center box area and then AFing once more on the exact center spot I want. Not a very good solution, I know.

3. I find the GF1 better. In fact, one of the nice features is that when you are in manual, the aperture and shutter appears as a horizontal scale with areas left and right blacked out to show where you are within reasonable exposure and where you are not.

4. I still haven't gotten my hands on the EVF though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't warming a little bit to the screen. It's pretty nice.

The VF on the E-P1 is an accessory and a throwback to rangefinder days where you would need it for framing. You had different framelines and viewfinders for different focal lengths. Even then, it is still subject to parallax error (since the VF is looking from a different viewpoint than the film/sensor is). If the LCD could at least display *only* exposure/histogram information while I used the viewfinder above it, that would be a neat feature though.

mrmax

Reaction score
yfyf thanks for clarifying. I'll be keeping tabs on your blog
smile.gif

Lachy

Reaction score
I've recently become interested in learning about photography, I've been reading up on cameras and about photography in general, and I'm considering the GF-1 mostly because of it size, but still having the interchangeable lenses and manual controls (it's selling points, really). But I'm wondering which kit lens to get, or both? I understand kit lenses usually aren't great, but how long until better ones hit the market for M4/3, and comparatively how will they be priced? I understand there is a converter to adapt other lens formats, but there is some sort of trade off with quality, isn't there?

So, would it be advisable for a beginner to get both kit lenses? If only one lens, which?

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lachy
I've recently become interested in learning about photography, I've been reading up on cameras and about photography in general, and I'm considering the GF-1 mostly because of it size, but still having the interchangeable lenses and manual controls (it's selling points, really). But I'm wondering which kit lens to get, or both? I understand kit lenses usually aren't great, but how long until better ones hit the market for M4/3, and comparatively how will they be priced? I understand there is a converter to adapt other lens formats, but there is some sort of trade off with quality, isn't there?

So, would it be advisable for a beginner to get both kit lenses? If only one lens, which?

There's nothing wrong with using kit lenses, for most people they are more than adequate. In any case, like you said, there are only kit lenses so far for the micro 4/3 standard. I'm not sure when new zoom lenses will be coming out, but I'd hazard it's end of October and holiday season. The E-P2 is meant to be announced end of October with some higher grade lenses.

I have the Olympus 14-42 zoom lens and didn't really like it. However, if you are getting into photography, it is worth starting with a zoom lens so you can get a feel for how different focal lengths behave. Quality wise, the general rule was that primes are better than zooms, but that is very rarely the case now. If you were to compare the 14-42 zoom at 17 vs the 17mm 2.8, the performance is very similar, it's just the 17mm is a stop faster.

As for the adapters, there should be no quality loss. The adapter is just a hollow tube designed to mate the various mounts and *most importantly* to give you the correct distance from sensor to lens elements. Lenses are designed to focus light to a certain distance behind the lens which corresponds to the film/sensor. Each mount has its own specification for that distance and micro 4/3's is extremely short, which is why it can mount everyone else's lenses. It's just a matter of shoving something in between to adjust that distance appropriately.

Lachy

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the tips, I understood pretty much everything you said.

So you're advice, if getting one lens would be to get the zoom? I'm leaning towards getting both, so I can get a feel for working with both prime and zoom, and also because the pancake is just so much more compact.

Can anyone recommend a good text to pick up to teach me and guide me initially?

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Well, if you're just starting out and you only want to carry one lens, then yes the zoom has to be it. After a while, you might feel like you only really use the wide end or the middle or the long end and then you can get yourself a prime that matches your preference and carry that instead.

If you can afford both, no harm in getting both. I sold Phat Guido my 14-42 zoom and I believe he doesn't want it anymore, you may want to contact him and see if he will sell it to you.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Well, if you're just starting out and you only want to carry one lens, then yes the zoom has to be it. After a while, you might feel like you only really use the wide end or the middle or the long end and then you can get yourself a prime that matches your preference and carry that instead.

If you can afford both, no harm in getting both. I sold Phat Guido my 14-42 zoom and I believe he doesn't want it anymore, you may want to contact him and see if he will sell it to you.

- IMO the ZOOM was SHITE! & I sold it straight AWAY..
- FWIW, my pictures have taken a quantum leap with the PEN + Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 Nokton M Lens. Sure there is no auto-focus, but then what you are seeing is what I am taking in JPG & no PP.
- When I use the Oly 17mm I am now finding that I have to PP as the colour is all over the place. Though the 17mm is great for candid pics with friends & close ups for my WAYW pics. But now that I also have the Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 Super-Wide Heliar Aspherical, the 17mm may start gathering dust..
- there is something very satisfying with the feel (weight) of a well oiled mechanical focus/aperture ring..

Lachy

Reaction score
PG, are you using an adapter to mount these other lenses? Do you use the same lenses on both the EP1 and your Leica?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lachy
PG, are you using an adapter to mount these other lenses? Do you use the same lenses on both the EP1 and your Leica?
- yes you need an adaptor for any lens other the M43.
- & yes the same lens. My original plan was to use the PEN + manual lens & learn etc. Then maybe in 12 months get a M8 or 9.. Now I am thoroughly enjoying the M8 as the rewards are worth it.

drivel

Reaction score
If the EP-2 lives up to the rumors I am selling my 5D.

OlympusEP-2.jpg

Lachy

Reaction score
Interesting... You've got your VF and flash in there. I wonder if there are any other changes?

I don't know if I'm going to wait around for it though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads