• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Law School right for me?

Modern Gatsby

Reaction score
I want to be in an environment where the person next to me wants it just as bad as I do. I want to say I had to stay study 15 hours a day, or read through countless books in the library. I want to compete and be challenged. I'm not really getting this in undergrad, and I am wondering if Law School could satisfy these needs. I basically want to work ****** off.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Troll?

Pelikan2

Reaction score
Assuming you're not a troll - law school might be right for you. B-school might also be right for you. Law school is decidedly more competitive than most undergrad programs, but it's not nearly as cut-throat as some people make it out to be. That said, one thing I enjoy is being around smart, hard-working people. I spent the summer working at one of NYC's top big firms, and I loved it. It's pretty exhilarating to work alongside such brilliant, tenacious, and sometime neurotic people. Of course, much will depend on what law school you go to. Notably, it seems that competition gets more intense as you move down the law school rankings.

Also, I think the "do you want to be a lawyer" question is a little unfair. I think it's pretty hard for an undergrad to figure out what lawyers do - in large part, because "lawyer" is a fairly broad term. A transactional practice and a litigation practice are phenomenally different. I think better questions are: (1) do you like to read things that are hard to understand; (2) are you meticulous; (3) do you you enjoy technical or argumentative writing; (4) are you patient?

Pelikan2

Reaction score
As an aside: why can you read books in the library and study 15 hours a day in undergrad? Granted, I think 15 hours of study a day is a little unreasonable, but nobody's stopping you from doing some extra-curricular studying. Part of being a good law student is being self-motivated. Pick up a copy of Chemerinsky's Constitutional Law and start reading. Con Law is a good lesson in history, as well as law.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pelikan2
Also, I think the "do you want to be a lawyer" question is a little unfair. I think it's pretty hard for an undergrad to figure out what lawyers do - in large part, because "lawyer" is a fairly broad term.
We disagree. "Do you want to be a lawyer?" is the threshold question. Anyone who cannot answer "yes" to that question should not go to law school. Law school is for people who want to be lawyers, not for people who only seek intellectual challenges. Too many people learn they did not want to be a lawyer until after they start practicing law.

Pelikan2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
We disagree. "Do you want to be a lawyer?" is the threshold question. Anyone who cannot answer "yes" to that question should not go to law school. Law school is for people who want to be lawyers, not for people who only seek intellectual challenges. Too many people learn they did not want to be a lawyer until after they start practicing law.
I agree it's probably the threshold question. I disagree that most undergrads can answer, or even approach, the question with enough substance to make it worth asking. I think it's pretty unlikely that Joe-Undergrad can know the differences between a banking, M&A and complex litigation practice, let alone the differences between being a partner and an associate, at either a large or small firm. And I think it's pretty hard to learn much about those practices without connections to lawyers - which I certainly didn't have. I think some people who enjoy reading legal-like things, enjoy writing and are details-oriented are good candidates for law school. I think it's hard to say whether they'll actually enjoy practicing any profession, perhaps any job, before they try it.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Modern Gatsby
Why would someone be trolling about law school?

hahaha
one of the most trolled subjects on the internet, imo

Guys in my high school used to troll about.....

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As a Princeton Law alumnus, I can attest that law school is definitely not for everyone.

Newo

Reaction score
I think law is one of those careers where you get what you put into it, if you want to work your ass off and get rewarded for it, do it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads