• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pants for orphaned(?) Tux / Dinner jacket

SoHoJoejoe

Reaction score
Going to the MET Opera in Dec and would like to do so in proper attire.
bigstar[1].gif

I've seen some good deals on jackets (or so I think they're good) such as this and this.
(Love the Corneliani except it's a notch lapel
plain.gif
)

My question is are they good deals?
Does it matter that their are no matching pants, ie; is it common practice to sell separates for formal wear?
Can any tux pant work, or at least any from the same brand, like a Polo tux pant for the Corneliani for instance?

JohnShaft

Reaction score
I too have noticed that there are some really good deals on orphaned Zegna and other upscale brands of jacket. And since it would be great, but financially unrealistic, to have each type of formal wear I thought ebay would be a great source.

My big issue was trying to match blacks. That can be a nightmare in and of itself but then trying to match satins/grosgrains as well seemed like a big task.

I'll still try it one day, just for fun, but only if I find good jackets at ridiculously low prices.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would somebody get Ralph Lauren an armband for his Gestapo outfit?

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
only if you are scottish claims

What if you don't have Scottish roots, would it really be a big deal among most social circles? I ask simply because I've been wanting some tartan trousers lately.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not so sure that dinner jacket is "proper attire" for a Met performance that isn't an opening or Gala. You will confuse the people sitting near you, who will wonder why you aren't in the pit. They will fear something "modern" is happening and that the singers will soon be running down the aisles, tearing off their costumes and smoking weed. These patrons will leave the Met and withdraw their support and the Met will have to close.

In a word, don't.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
Would somebody get Ralph Lauren an armband for his Gestapo outfit?

also, i'm not feeling the monster ******* lapels hes been trying to push lately

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoHoJoejoe
bigstar[1].gif

I've seen some good deals on jackets (or so I think they're good) such as this and this.
(Love the Corneliani except it's a notch lapel
plain.gif
)

My question is are they good deals?
Does it matter that their are no matching pants, ie; is it common practice to sell separates for formal wear?
Can any tux pant work, or at least any from the same brand, like a Polo tux pant for the Corneliani for instance?

you can't really assemble a proper tux/suit. if you buy the separates from the same place its one thing, but you'd be hard pressed to do it off the internet from different sites. its challenging enough if you see different separates in person, much less on the computer. now if you're doing different colors, like blazer style, you have a lot more wiggle room, but getting two different pieces to match in the same color and same fabric is damn hard

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoHoJoejoe
bigstar[1].gif
Does it matter that their are no matching pants, ie; is it common practice to sell separates for formal wear? Can any tux pant work, or at least any from the same brand, like a Polo tux pant for the Corneliani for instance?

Firstly, the proper name for this atire is Tuxedo, not 'tux'. Do not attempt to match orphaned items. Each tuxedo (or suit for that matter) will be different. Fabrics are dyed in 'lots'. The Dye Lot of one tuxedo will never match the Dye Lot of anothers' pants. Invest your money in a complete tuxedo. Every man should own one anyway. In fact, it would be better to purchase an inexpensive tuxedo, than to mis-match higher quality pieces together & fail (which you will fail). Hope your evening at the MET is enjoyable. Alternatives to internet purchasing could be possibly a tuxedo rental outlet that rotates its stock. You'd have to clean it of 1,000 dry-cleanings though. Or possibly any other clearance outlet near you. Or possible some consignment store. You could even request a tuxedo in your size and they may post the request to their regular donors. Who knows, you may get lucky.

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mild Mannered
Firstly, the proper name for this atire is Tuxedo, not 'tux'.

Okay, I'll get in the sandbox.

We should be able to admit that 'tuxedo' is a pretty vulgar term as well as a pretty vulgar concept. Let's please uphold our standards.

I may be wrong, but I don't think there is any serious historical expectation that a dj must have exactly matching pants. Note all the references to dinner jacket (rather than dinner suit).

I have worn black and white tartan trousers (not associated with any clan, not even really scottish) with a dj. I have also on occasion donned a Gaultier black mohair 'skirt' (actually pants with a wraparound panel in front to mimic a narrow floor-length skirt). S.times with the Gaultier I will substitute a tartan jacket with shawl lapels.

Can't y'all have any fun? Why always the obsessive worry about doing the right thing? What a relief to have no one remember you!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mild Mannered
Firstly, the proper name for this atire is Tuxedo, not 'tux'.

The proper name is 'evening dress' not tuxedo - that is an Americanism. Dinner jacket can be used as an alternative although strictly that does not cover the ensemble.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
The proper name is 'evening dress' not tuxedo - that is an Americanism. Dinner jacket can be used as an alternative although strictly that does not cover the ensemble.

Considering I am in America, tuxedo is a perfectly acceptable term as you should know.
Getting the OP from 'tux' to 'evening dress' would have probably over-loaded him and possibly have caused him to believe I was suggesting that ***********ing was in order.
You are correct ofcourse, 'evening dress' is the proper term barring the American vernacular.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads