• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pants for orphaned(?) Tux / Dinner jacket

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of buying or wearing orphan jackets.

SoHoJoejoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mild Mannered
Getting the OP from 'tux' to 'evening dress' would have probably over-loaded him and possibly have caused him to believe I was suggesting that ***********ing was in order.

I beg your pardon sir. The proper name for your attitude is arrogant although smug would suffice for short handed type. This is the internet remember, try not to be so serious. You may notice that this thread is tagged with `tuxedo'.
rolleyes.gif

I appreciate the serious answers from the others. I'm a little surprised towards the attitude on this forum against wearing black tie to the opera, especially when it wasn't stated which performance I'd be seeing. I would assume for instance, that the holiday performances would be dressier. I have also been told that Mondays usually have their fair share of black tie along with the top tier seats. Honestly though, I don't care what the other patrons are wearing, as my date and I take no issue with out dressing the norm.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How about something like a Velvet dinner jacket. Ralph Lauren Black label dinner jackets are really cool.

Dont like the douchy attitude of some posters turn you away, this forum has alot to offer.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
The proper name is 'evening dress' not tuxedo - that is an Americanism. Dinner jacket can be used as an alternative although strictly that does not cover the ensemble.

No, (full) evening dress is the tailcoat and white tie.

Sp Dinner suit is the proper name.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are good price but like car shopping with clothing you get what you pay for. The second jacket is nice but the first for that price can't be that great of quality. Tuxes are sometimes sold as seperates but only to get the correct sizing on the pants and jacket. You do not want to mix and match since you will not get the colors of the two just right. I would keep looking for a completed tux both pants and jacket.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I don't believe its common practice to sell these items as separates and if you're trying to put together a full tuxedo (shoot me, that's what I called it) then I would advise against buying it separate.

I suppose for some occasions you could wear a tuxedo jacket with jeans or tartan pants, but not for what you're planning.

If you want a tuxedo, keep looking and you can find some good deals on the whole thing.

LeonM

Reaction score
Jeans or tartan trews could be worn with a DJ.
Not that I would do that at the opera.
I have no idea what they wear at the Met, but at Covent Garden, lounge suits are the norm.
To be overdressed is as bad as being underdressed.
If you can afford tickets to the opera, you can afford to get down to the NYC equivalent of Marks & Spencer and get something decent to wear.
Failing that these look good:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BNWT-EDE-RAVEN...ht_2268wt_1140

Leon

SoHoJoejoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
How about something like a Velvet dinner jacket. Ralph Lauren Black label dinner jackets are really cool.

Perfect, I already have two.
smile.gif

A navy and black, the latter of which is still NWT and I will probably put up on the B&S soon.

My date and I were looking forward to dressing up for the opera since last season but we decided to go for a regular midweek performance first to test the waters. If all goes well we'd like to do a gala, or perhaps opening if we really love it, next season and go all out.

So it seems I have an outfit and my original question answered. Many thanks.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoHoJoejoe
I beg your pardon sir. The proper name for your attitude is arrogant although smug would suffice for short handed type. This is the internet remember, try not to be so serious. You may notice that this thread is tagged with `tuxedo'.
rolleyes.gif

Wrong. This thread is called Pants for orphaned(?) Tux / Dinner jacket

I appreciate the serious answers from the others. I'm a little surprised towards the attitude on this forum against wearing black tie to the opera, especially when it wasn't stated which performance I'd be seeing. I would assume for instance, that the holiday performances would be dressier. I have also been told that Mondays usually have their fair share of black tie along with the top tier seats. Honestly though, I don't care what the other patrons are wearing, as my date and I take no issue with out dressing the norm.
I gave you sound advice on page 1. Don't match orphaned. So go read again 'Mr Bond'.
Remember this,
Reading my good words with your bad attitude will yield nothing. But you're welcome just the same.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mild Mannered
Getting the OP from 'tux' to 'evening dress' would have probably over-loaded him and possibly have caused him to believe I was suggesting that ***********ing was in order.

It may not have been your intention, but this could be construed as presumption, or arrogance. Do you know the OP? If not, what lead you to believe this?

mfadam

Reaction score
Found this thread as I was pondering the same issue. I had a pair of formal pants trashed by a dry cleaning fiasco. I really like the dinner jacket that went with them and have seen lots of orphaned tuxedo/formal pants around nyc.

So my question is this - knowing that matching colors is next to impossible, isn't it possible that if you get something pretty close that no one would ever know the difference? Evening wear is going to be worn mostly indoors where lighting is such that I think it'd be really hard to notice the mismatch.

Curious what others think...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads