• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

happy hooligan

Reaction score
I could use some wine guys who know wine to help me out on here.

I've never paid more than probably 15 bucks on a bottle and have found a few that I did like but have long since forgotten the names to buy again.

I'm a beer guy and applaud your knowledge...

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, this was a seriously epic wine. It has great significance for us as we tasted this and other Viaders at the Viader winery, 3000 feet up Howell Mtn in Napa this summer for our 25th. Such a fabulous experience.

The lovelies hang on the side of the mountain for dear life, juicing up beautifully. This Viader, the flagship, is 60% Cabernet Sauvignon and 40% Cabernet Franc. The Cab Franc, unlike many, is done perfectly, adding to the fabulous flavors. So much complexity, such gorgeous fruit on the nose. It was bloody epic. Buy with confidence. Caymus, watch your back!

US$100.00 purchased at Viader (they waived the $35 tasting fee
smile.gif
!

94/100

Audiophilia approved.

viader_a.jpg

Viader Cabernet Franc vines. 30 degree pitch.
viader_b.jpg

Viader Cabernet Sauvignon vines.
viader_c.jpg

joopie

Reaction score
Had a nice Dugat Gevrey-Chambertin (village) from 2003 this weekend, next to a 2003 Aloxe-Corton from Rapet.

To my surprise, I liked the Gevrey-Chambertin better, but on the other hand, I am more of a Côte de Nuits guy anyway. In addition, you could really taste the 2003 heat in the Aloxe-Corton, which which something I did not especially like...

Anyone else familiar with Burgundy wines?

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not too familiar, just know I love a good one.

Had a 2005 Volnay last week. Man, it was so good. A funk-free Burgundy, just the way I like them...

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar

the Haut Brisson was quite nice, great balance, firm tannins up front (it's so young), but a well integrated and smooth finish. I was impressed.

The 2007 Le Volte had some big fruit on the nose, strawberries and cream, dark cherry, etc. It was solid on the palate and my guests enjoyed it. Unfortunately I thought it lacked that sense of Italian terroire that past vintages have had. A shame.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday night:
Had higher hopes for this Campo de Borja Garnacha but alas it was a sugary fruit bomb with little to no character to speak of.
duende-garnacha.jpg

Saturday:
Went to the wine shop to get a couple of bottles of vino for our bbq. Planned on getting another bottle of the 2002 Wooded Island cab but alas they had sold out. But to my surprise and advantage the vendor was there conducting the weekly tasting and he pointed me in the direction of this little bottle produced by the same makers. This one hails from the Yakima Valley sub-appellation of Rattlesnake Hills. Hyatt Vineyards 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon! Big and bold. Deep purple in colour with just hints of amber. Dark fruits and warm spice on the nose with blackberry and plum with nuances of mocha and oak on the palate leading into a long satisfying finish with notes of black pepper and ripe cherries leading the crescendo.
A beautiful pour for $12

hyatt-2005-cab.jpg

Later that night:
A drinkable but not memorable malbec.

funky-llama.jpg

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the Haut Brisson was quite nice, great balance, firm tannins up front (it's so young), but a well integrated and smooth finish. I was impressed.

The 2007 Le Volte had some big fruit on the nose, strawberries and cream, dark cherry, etc. It was solid on the palate and my guests enjoyed it. Unfortunately I thought it lacked that sense of Italian terroire that past vintages have had. A shame.

I'm still on the '06 Le Volte but I'm going to open a bottle of 07 to investigate.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I'm still on the '06 Le Volte but I'm going to open a bottle of 07 to investigate.

yes, please let me know your findings. Obviously I wish I had an 06 right there to compare, but this one seemed a bit more new world than I've had in the past. If it came down to the 07 Le Volte and a good Chianti Classico, I'd pull for the latter (note: I decanted both wines for about 4 hours each)

For $25, the Bordeaux was a great value. I'd certainly recommend it to others, but it could use some time.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lovely, spicy, warm Shiraz with some hefty acidity on the back end. I prefer the 2005, but this was splendid. Of course, we drank it the night after the stunning Viader. Not much would have had a chance in comparison. CAD$55.00 91/100
deadarm.jpg

Serg

Reaction score
the Haut Brisson was quite nice, great balance, firm tannins up front (it's so young), but a well integrated and smooth finish. I was impressed. The 2007 Le Volte had some big fruit on the nose, strawberries and cream, dark cherry, etc. It was solid on the palate and my guests enjoyed it. Unfortunately I thought it lacked that sense of Italian terroire that past vintages have had. A shame.
What a shame on the Le Volte vintage! 2007 Four Vines "the biker" - typically a constant performer and a great vintage is already showing. Blackberry (huge rich fruit), Spice, vanilla.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a 1993 Fontalloro Magnum just laying around......

killua

Reaction score
Was reading the local newspaper online today and came across this story:

D'ARRY Osborn is 82, lives on the land and until recently had never heard of Japanese manga comics. But he has a lot to thank them for.

What connects this old-fashioned winemaker in McLaren Vale and a commuter going home on Tokyo's subway?

Manga comics, of course, and in particular The Drops of God, a comic series extolling the virtues of a certain shiraz viognier blend hand- cultivated by Osborn and his family at the d'Arenberg winery.
Link

Time for me to buy a few bottles of the Laughing Magpie to give as presents when I next visit Japan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads