• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Started a P-T gig last night. 1st assignment: work/attened "Wine for Beginners" class

Tasted these: (sorry no pics)

2007 Gunn Estate Unoaked Chardonnay (NZ)

2008 Koehler Chardonnay (Santa Ynez)

2007 Massena Surely Viognier (Barossa Valley)

2006 Elizebeth Spencer Pinot Noir (Anderson Valley)

2005 Barn D'Or Cab/Syrah blend (Sonoma County)

2005 Mirror Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley)

2004 Caronne Ste Gemme Haut-Medoc Bordeaux

2007 Ben Marco Malbec (Mendoza)

These were all just amazing wines...the Mirror CS especially...alas it's $75...so out of my range even with the discount
frown.gif

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last nite, Henry of Pelham Baco Noir

A nice, spicy Canajun wine.

Tonite, we're trying a 2004 Bordeaux. Pics/notes later.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio

Interested in hearing about your opinions about this wine. I have my own opinion but am interested in hearing what you think about it.

discuss.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Started a P-T gig last night. 1st assignment: work/attened "Wine for Beginners" class

Tasted these: (sorry no pics)

2007 Gunn Estate Unoaked Chardonnay (NZ)

2008 Koehler Chardonnay (Santa Ynez)

2007 Massena Surely Viognier (Barossa Valley)

2006 Elizebeth Spencer Pinot Noir (Anderson Valley)

2005 Barn D'Or Cab/Syrah blend (Sonoma County)

2005 Mirror Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley)

2004 Caronne Ste Gemme Haut-Medoc Bordeaux

2007 Ben Marco Malbec (Mendoza)

These were all just amazing wines...the Mirror CS especially...alas it's $75...so out of my range even with the discount
frown.gif

It was great seeing you, my friend!

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
McManis Family Cab, I've had the Pinot before and enjoy that, and the cab is good for $15 as well.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio

Interested in hearing about your opinions about this wine. I have my own opinion but am interested in hearing what you think about it.

discuss.

IMO, it's the Yellow Tail Shiraz of sorts for Italy. Worth the $22? No. Served way too cold way too often? Absolutely. Profit gold mine for the brand? Yes. Unoffensive and safe on the palate? Yes.

The only real problem I have with this wine is the fact that it's one of those wines that people will order over and over again. They wont try something else or explore a little. It's like skipping the new local restaurant around the corner and instead ordering chicken parm at Olive Garden over and over and then calling it an Italian meal. I really appreciate the effects this wine has had for getting people into drinking wine, now if only they would give some other things a shot as well.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
In other news, I spend this weekend a few hours away from the busy city and visited the GF as she completes her thesis. We both went to the same university pictured here: Along the way, we had plenty of wine, starting of with this fellow here: I enjoyed this one, it was vibrant and crisp. I've had 5-6 wines from Geographico, and while none of their others have really struck a cord with me, I was pleasantly surprised by this one. then, we opened up this mofo here: Classic Sangeovese based Tuscan wine, good fruit, good concentration, good value. And finally, this: Really interesting combination, had that high acid red fruits from the barbera, then the nebbiolo made its presence felt with some power and structure. Well worth the $20 in my book.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Vernaccia. So far my favorite has been from Teruzzi & Puthod, and their Terre Di Tufi is a great pour also. Was the Eremo very tannic?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I love Vernaccia. So far my favorite has been from Teruzzi & Puthod, and their Terre Di Tufi is a great pour also. Was the Eremo very tannic?

I need to explore more Vernaccia, I'm not sure why I haven't had more. There Eremo did have some nice tannins, but I wouldn't label it as a very tannic wine. But to be fair my view of very tannic is likely a bit different than the average consumer.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
It was great seeing you, my friend!

Likewise ld! I'm sorry I was unable to chat with you longer. Hope you enjoy(ed) the vino!

When I got home later that evening my girlfriend had been to the Argentinian store a brought home a bottle of my favourite malbec: 2005 Luigi Bosca reserva! RP rated 91/100 and only $16.99 and then I ran out and got her her favourite cab2005 Hyatt Vineyards Rattlesnake Hills. It was a great was to wind down the day!

Working tonight and Wednesday from 4pm to close, which I believe is 7pm

Hope you had a great weekend...

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up about 20 bottles last night at the "every four month" wine sale that our provincial liquor commission has on.

I was hoping for some advice from some of the more knowledgable oenophiles here. At each of these wine sales I treat myself to omething that would normallybe out of my price range so I can keep learning about wine. I am interested in picking up a Chablis this time, as I have never had one before and want to keep expanding my palate. The choices are all 2005's from Christian Moreau Pere et Fils and are all between $38-40 canadian:
Grand Cru Les Clos
Grand Cru Les Clos Clos des Hospices dans les Clos
Grand Cru Valmur

Recommendations?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
The choices are all 2005's from Christian Moreau Pere et Fils and are all between $38-40 canadian:
Grand Cru Les Clos
Grand Cru Les Clos Clos des Hospices dans les Clos
Grand Cru Valmur

Recommendations?

I've had wines from this producer before, but I forget which ones. Or maybe it was another Moreau, who knows. They are all single-vineyard, likely the same yield, methods of production, etc. I would personally flip a coin unless you are able to dig up professional ratings information for each.

or, for something really interesting, buy 2 or 3 different ones and open together to see how they're different.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have to get a gift, a pinor noir, for a colleague. Any recommendations. Obviously price range is important consideration, so I'm looking for a $50-150; with a brand name an extra plus (he prides himself on going to a wine celler and being able to pick out the wines from their labels, not sure if he actually knows the wines themselves). Thanks in advance.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhc905
Have to get a gift, a pinor noir, for a colleague. Any recommendations. Obviously price range is important consideration, so I'm looking for a $50-150; with a brand name an extra plus (he prides himself on going to a wine celler and being able to pick out the wines from their labels, not sure if he actually knows the wines themselves). Thanks in advance.

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1040666

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1043768

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1043216

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1040921

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads