The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

One has to wonder if that wine is dry, or RFD (really fuckin' dry).

[​IMG]

Hey, had an ME SB Friday. Can't remember if I poasted that or not. Paired with garlic and butter broiled orange roughy and some grilled zuc on the side. [​IMG]

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

3. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Is that a spigeleau glass?

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Is that a spigeleau glass?
    no, $2.50 at Pier 1 [​IMG] I do, however, have Spiegleau Burgundy stemless glasses. And I will be purchasing a set of Spiegleau Bordeaux glasses (with stems) shortly. IMO Spiegleau is a great value in the wine glass world, I highly recommend them. Now if only PandArts pulled the trigger instead of using his ice cream goblets...

5. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

That looks like a great value. I was given about 100 Spiegleau glasses and now half of them are broken and need to find a good source.

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

That looks like a great value. I was given about 100 Spiegleau glasses and now half of them are broken and need to find a good source.

A Spiegleau breakage is responsible for that big scar on my finger. I'm sourcing mine from my credit card company with the rewards points [​IMG]

The Pier 1 glasses aren't bad at all, though they are much thicker than a nice Spiegleau or Riedel. Still, perfect for a night when you might kill a bottle yourself or when you have guests over.

7. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

no, $2.50 at Pier 1 [​IMG]

I do, however, have Spiegleau Burgundy stemless glasses. And I will be purchasing a set of Spiegleau Bordeaux glasses (with stems) shortly. IMO Spiegleau is a great value in the wine glass world, I highly recommend them.

Now if only PandArts pulled the trigger instead of using his ice cream goblets...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Lovely smokiness and excellent balance. I love Zin. This is great value. CAD$22.00

90/100

[​IMG]

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I'll be back in the swing of things for wine shortly, lots of stuff at work and the stores have always been closed by the time I've been able to get out.

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I'll be back in the swing of things for wine shortly, lots of stuff at work and the stores have always been closed by the time I've been able to get out.

No excuses!

11. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I think I'm having some friends over this weekend, we'll likely pick up a bottle or two each and drink away.

12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I suggest the wine-interested folk watch the last 2 episodes of Wine Library TV (it's really 1 big episode cut up into 2). Very influential guest, Anthony Terlato. He offers some really fascinating information on the nuances of the wine business and how certain wines came to be in the market.

13. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Will do. Thanks for the heads up.

14. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Last night for dinner:

Starter: warm red beets sliced and seved with gorgonzola and baby arugula. Paired that with a 2006 Tenuta Rapitala Nero D'avola.

Main course: Risotto with oysters, crisped baby artichokes, and lemon zest. Had it with a glass of 2008 Orvieto Compgrande. I thought it would have worked well with the risotto considering natural carbonation and light characteristics of the wine but it fell short. Why? I can't put my finger on it...

15. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Funny, when my GF was living in Italy, I came over for a visit and upon arrival she opened a bottle of the Rapitala nero d'avola. Good producer, they have a handful of offerings that I have enjoyed.

I think the Orvieto is made by Antinori, a producer with quite the impressive portfolio. Orvieto can be a very light wine, sometimes too light for the occasion. I suspect that may have been the case here, risotto can be heavier than people expect (when cooked properly especially). I would have reached for a Vermentino (the one from Antinori's Guado al Tasso is spectacular) as it can hold up a little better to the heartier foods but still has that crisp and fragrant edge that I've come to love so much in the Italians. But I'm just throwing around words, I haven't had this particular Orvieto in a while...

edit: and beet salad is one of my all-time favorites, I could eat a vat of it for dinner. The best I've had was had Gordon Ramsay's, they made it sensational.