• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Mr. White

Reaction score
Wig23g, US Navy watch jackets run true to size. Please notice that they are "jackets" not "coats." They're not intended to be worn over other jackets or over two bulky sweaters. Buy the size you'd nomally get to fit your shoulders and arms.

Wear the collar down except when the elements demand protection.

Officers' watch jackets come with brass buttons. Petty officers' jackets come with pewter buttons. Other enlisted mens' jackets have black plastic buttons. Every alterations shop in a town with a Navy base can swap buttons and add/remove enlisted mens' arm insignia.

If you want something more like a coat, get an officers' bridge coat. However, it also fits true to size in the shoulder and chest. It's really a watch jacket made as long as a coat, plus a half-belt.

Watch jackets are similar to leather or fleece-lined corduroy/denim jackets in that they don't layer well. Those who need a wool coat should get an ordinary wool coat.

Watch jackets are good to throw on when moving in a hurry through cold outdoors between warm indoors. But they're too heavy for any indoors wear. Since they don't layer well, they're a poor choice for inadequately-heated indoors or for very cold outdoors.

wjg23g

Reaction score
thanks mr. white, but i'm asking regarding the sterlingwear brand in particular.

anyone else?

Bostonian

Reaction score
Sterlingwear Sizing Tips:

I went through the whole process last year. I'm usually a 42L or 52 Euro in most suits and have to have the sides taken in because I'm slim. I wear a 16" neck and 34 " sleeve in shirts. I'm 6' tall.

My observations:

40L was tight in the chest/back for me. I could wear it with a T shirt underneath and it had a very fashion forward slim military/punk look but for use as a Fall/Winter coat w/ layering it was too tight. The shoulder spread was a bit narrow and it looked kinda fem wearing regular sized pants. W/ skinny jeans it looked alright.

I eventually went with my regular size 42L and it was perfect. I considered having it taken in on the sides but a tailor whom I trust said it fits perfect and to rock it as is.

For the guys w/ > or = to 35" sleeve lengths or tall guys, I'd go with the extra long. The coat is fitted with high armpits so it's better to err on the side of too long than too short.

Also of note: The gray model was a bit roomier than the black model of the same size.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If my sleeve length is 31" should I go with a Short or Regular? 5 ft 7.25

softbakedgoods

Reaction score
Question: Does the Authentic version come with roped shoulders? or rolled shoulders like most pea coats?

Also, I tried on a Brooks Brothers pea coat today in NYC and the amount of wool they use is NO joke. Super heavy, felt like I was being weighed down. Retail: about $595?

Mr. White

Reaction score
That's what I'm saying. Watch jackets are too heavy for most purposes, and they don't layer well.

I get the impression that buyers of peacoats are looking for an all-purpose sports coat that goes especially well with blue jeans. Watch jackets aren't it.

In any case, I can't see throwing money at a brand name when authentic US Navy watch jackets are available for a fraction of the price.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nonissue
Here's a moleskin navy (lighting is off in photos) BR peacoat that I picked up last year. Excuse the sleeves in the second photo, I was ******* around.
allblack2.jpg
http://nonissue.org/style/IMG_0023 1.JPG

Very nice!!! Love the size of the collar and how slim it is! How long is the coat, relative to your arms hanging normally? 1-2" below your fingertips?

runes

Reaction score
for some reason i really hate the way peacoats look with the collar down. looks so frumpy.

a peacoat is a relatively stylish jacket, why forego the style?

there was this sorta peacoat craze last winter and i saw alot of people who wore them but really didn't wear them well.

till507

Reaction score
I just got a chance to try one on at Orvis in Chicago and I can say that they run incredibly large. I was swimming in the 38 and I'm 6' and 165 lbs with fairly broad shoulders (the shoulders were particularly wide in my opinion). If you're much larger and ready to size down (38 is as small as they go), then this is the peacoat for you. It's amazing. Otherwise, you may find that it's entirely too big.

In other news, the 09 Barbour Herringbone Challenger jacket is phenomenal. The mediums have a fairly contemporary fit, it's far heavier than the Bedale (it's on par with the peacoat) and with the construction and fabric it almost has an EG/Woolrich Woolen Mills feel to it.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
If my sleeve length is 31" should I go with a Short or Regular? 5 ft 7.25
I'd go with the regular. I'm 5' 9" and the length is just right on mine.

Originally Posted by softbakedgoods
Question: Does the Authentic version come with roped shoulders? or rolled shoulders like most pea coats?

Also, I tried on a Brooks Brothers pea coat today in NYC and the amount of wool they use is NO joke. Super heavy, felt like I was being weighed down. Retail: about $595?

Rolled shoulders I believe.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received my Sterlingwear Authentic pea coat (black) last week and I'll share with you guys my thoughts.

My suit size is usually a 36 or 36S and I sized down to a 32R for the pea coat. The fit is quite snug and you can fit a sweater underneath, but that's about it. I don't mind since I prefer it that way. Like others have mentioned, the cut of the armpits are somewhat high which can limit some movement so don't plan on throwing any touchdown passes with it on. Construction is solid and I can't wait to test it out this winter. For the price, I would highly recommend it.

I'd be willing to post a few fit pics as well..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads