• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an H&M, which is pretty nice. I'm thinking about having it tailored...

raumil

Reaction score
go to peacoat.biz they have a great gray peacoat for $100.00. I have it is great. 22 oz wool not too heavy check it out. Men's Grey Fashion Cut Peacoat.
worship.gif

waterfish11

Reaction score
hey everyone! i'm a newbie here, first thread!

anyways, i have been looking around and have settled on a sterlinwear authentic. However, I was going to just follow their instructions and order 1 size up because their coat size doesn't match their chest size.

So normally I wear a 38R coat, which following their instructions to order a size up would mean buying a 40 coat, however, since I've started roving around on this forum, people are saying to go down 1 or 2 sizes. So my question is, I'm 6', 162lbs, and am pretty skinny. My chest measures 27" and I'm wondering what size I should buy. After reading through here, it seems that I should buy a 36R coat, but I wanted to double check becuase I don't want to go through the hassle of buying and returning or buying 2 and returning the one that doesn't fit.

Thanks for the help guys!

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't expecting to see this thread again for a few more months. :p
Originally Posted by waterfish11
hey everyone! i'm a newbie here, first thread! anyways, i have been looking around and have settled on a sterlinwear authentic. However, I was going to just follow their instructions and order 1 size up because their coat size doesn't match their chest size. So normally I wear a 38R coat, which following their instructions to order a size up would mean buying a 40 coat, however, since I've started roving around on this forum, people are saying to go down 1 or 2 sizes. So my question is, I'm 6', 162lbs, and am pretty skinny. My chest measures 27" and I'm wondering what size I should buy. After reading through here, it seems that I should buy a 36R coat, but I wanted to double check becuase I don't want to go through the hassle of buying and returning or buying 2 and returning the one that doesn't fit. Thanks for the help guys!
I asked a Sterlingwear rep last year why they make the "size up" recommendation, and he said something along the lines of: "Our coats are pretty trim, since they're cut for the military, and most of our customers are generally a little rounder." Indeed, the peacoats are cut straight through the torso. If you have a 37" chest, I'd say get a 36R. Don't be too afraid of buying two different sizes, though. You're still getting a good value, even factoring in the return costs, and you'll also have the peace of mind of getting the right fit. EDIT: Welcome to SF!
smile.gif

wjg23g

Reaction score
question- i'm 6'4" 195 and generally wear either 41L or 42L for my suits. should i get a 40L or a 38L? thanks in advance for the help

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another sizing question.

I have a 35.5 chest, am 6'3", and for a shoulder to shoulder I am an 18".

Should I get the 34XL, 34L, or 36L/36XL?

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mexicorn
I'm 6'3" and have a 36" chest and normally wear 35" length sleeve shirts. Should I go for a 34L or 34 extra long?

FWIW most OTR medium size coats I try on are about 1-1.5" too short in the sleeves, and my "medium tall" size gap car coat is about .5-1" too LONG in the sleeves heh...so I guess I'm in between.

I know it's a really old post, but I'll answer for posterity's sake.

I would go for the extra long, for sure.

danilo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
Another sizing question.

I have a 35.5 chest, am 6'3", and for a shoulder to shoulder I am an 18".

Should I get the 34XL, 34L, or 36L/36XL?

I would try 34XL

I'm 5'7 with a 38" chest and I got a 36R and the sleeves are just right and the length is just right. If I was tall as you I'd definitely go with the XL

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You didnt find the shoulders were too tight? My main worry.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I emailed sterlingwear and they told me their chest sizes were 2 inches shorter than their tagged size. How are you supposed to size down with that?? Are they lying?

Sry for double post.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
I emailed sterlingwear and they told me their chest sizes were 2 inches shorter than their tagged size. How are you supposed to size down with that?? Are they lying?

Sry for double post.

http://www.sterlingwear.com./sizechart.html

Ask them how they measure the chest size. Their method is probably not what you're expecting. Many people here size down one with no problem. Some stay true-to-size with no problem.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah i sized down. true to size would have been slightly too large but i was layering so it could have worked. sizing down definitely gives you the slimmer look which is what i wanted. i normally am a 36 and got a 34R

you can look back in this thread and there should bee some pics of my fit

i can post new ones again if you need

danilo

Reaction score
I sized down one... not too tight. I probably can't layer 2 thick sweaters underneath, but I would never do that anyways.

wjg23g

Reaction score
if i'm a 42L normally, and I'm a pretty thin person, which would be better for me, 40L or 38XL

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics