• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo Shirts--Do not Like.

Eccentric

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I do not like the look of the Polo Shirt. They inevitably bring to mind "professional" sorts wearing some baggy thing at a company outing or picnic.

I think I prefer someone wearing a slim tee-shirt than a "pricey" polo shirt.

However, the Fred Perry polos that the skinheads used to wear are acceptable.

Thank you! I have always thought that there is nothing a polo can do that a regular shirt cannot do better.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I wanted to look a little more put together (according to normal people anyway) I'd just wear a button up with the sleeves rolled. If I wanted to look more casual I'd go collarless.

Polos seem like halfassing it, kinda like those leather sketchers abortions that aren't sneakers or dress shoes. Polos are the redheaded middlechild of the clothing family, existence is pointless.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phillyesq
+1

I don't care for the look of polos that are two sizes too large, but as long as the size is proper, I see no objection.

+1

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, it's not just a question of fit but design. Hence, why Fred Perry generally works and plainer, more generic models don't

I favour a sports-derived look to mine, so naturally, one of my favourites is a Lacoste collaboration from Junya's Spring 2007 tracksuiting collection. I prefer standard shirts but I love having a variety

Chim12

Reaction score
+1 on the right fit, far too often the size is excessive.. particularly on "Casual Friday" ;-(

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This thread is stupid. It's like saying you hate suits because they inevitably make you think of a slobbily dressed used car salesman.

Polos done right are vintage, skinny, hip. Untucked. Polos can also be done right in the tucked in, neat, golf aesthetic. Polos never look good on fat people. Polos can look good on people who are built well or skinny.

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
This thread is stupid. It's like saying you hate suits because they inevitably make you think of a slobbily dressed used car salesman.

Polos done right are vintage, skinny, hip. Untucked. Polos can also be done right in the tucked in, neat, golf aesthetic. Polos never look good on fat people. Polos can look good on people who are built well or skinny.

+1
a polo is classic American wear and a great, minimal (or no) logo, well fitted one is perfect summer attire that can work on many levels.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
32c90d0b-f24e-4cbb-b7e8-d6c79afb1cde.jpg

If they are OK for Robert Smith, they are cool by me.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cadillac37
cl014.jpg
This guy looks rather ok in them.

You're forgetting the fact that Daniel Craig is really built and the cut was still too roomy so they made a new more fitted cut for him/the movie. As for polo shirts, I could care less. But what really annoys me is that people think a polo shirt has any formality and will wear it when needed to "dress up".

SuperSaiyan3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu
+1 note that Mr. Craig/Bond's polo has no logo.

Personally, I'm not a fan of polos, particularly ones in obnoxious colors. What I hate the most are the logos on them. Branding should be discrete.

agreed

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin
I was against polos for a while...but I'm starting to wear them more now...but only if they are slim fitting, vs the tents that most people wear.

I'm the exact opposite - I used to wear them all the time and never wear them anymore. Like LK said, I'd much rather wear a nice, simple, fitted t-shirt than a polo shirt. Polo shirts just seam stuck in a no mans land between casual and work appropriate attire.

LK - are you going to update your blog-like-entity?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I absolutely hate the suburban insurance salesman look with the baggy polo, rope belt, kenneth coles.. A belly, pale skin and a balding head with a horrible haircut... Oakleys outside.

That said, and I might be even worse than those guys - i do like the well fitted, fashion forward polos. Yes, the slim fit or vintage RL/Lacoste/designer ****. Not for going out or work, but for when I am hungover and heading to the nearest mexican joint for a burrito and a corona, probably proudly wearing my ripped jeans (ripped in a motorcycle accident), some kinda canvas slipons or loafers or (GASP) flipflops and (DOUBLE GASP) some oversize designer shades (although more like vintage aviators nowdays)

But as business casual or going out wear... prolly not.

Also, as crazy as it is, I think my favorite polos are le tigre.. crazy, I know, but they fit just right, a very nice athletic fit, but not too showy tight like some of the other ones get.I actually have one with a small patch pocket that looks just like the one DC is wearing, and same fit as well...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads