1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Polo Shirts--Do not Like.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Aug 25, 2009.

1. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I tend to only wear polos with shorts, untucked of course.

2. Lel

Lel Senior member

[​IMG] This guy looks rather ok in them.
    You're forgetting the fact that Daniel Craig is really built and the cut was still too roomy so they made a new more fitted cut for him/the movie. As for polo shirts, I could care less. But what really annoys me is that people think a polo shirt has any formality and will wear it when needed to "dress up".

3. SuperSaiyan3

SuperSaiyan3 Member

+1 note that Mr. Craig/Bond's polo has no logo.

Personally, I'm not a fan of polos, particularly ones in obnoxious colors. What I hate the most are the logos on them. Branding should be discrete.

agreed

4. dsgNYC

dsgNYC Senior member

I was against polos for a while...but I'm starting to wear them more now...but only if they are slim fitting, vs the tents that most people wear.

I'm the exact opposite - I used to wear them all the time and never wear them anymore. Like LK said, I'd much rather wear a nice, simple, fitted t-shirt than a polo shirt. Polo shirts just seam stuck in a no mans land between casual and work appropriate attire.

LK - are you going to update your blog-like-entity?

5. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

I absolutely hate the suburban insurance salesman look with the baggy polo, rope belt, kenneth coles.. A belly, pale skin and a balding head with a horrible haircut... Oakleys outside.

That said, and I might be even worse than those guys - i do like the well fitted, fashion forward polos. Yes, the slim fit or vintage RL/Lacoste/designer shit. Not for going out or work, but for when I am hungover and heading to the nearest mexican joint for a burrito and a corona, probably proudly wearing my ripped jeans (ripped in a motorcycle accident), some kinda canvas slipons or loafers or (GASP) flipflops and (DOUBLE GASP) some oversize designer shades (although more like vintage aviators nowdays)

But as business casual or going out wear... prolly not.

Also, as crazy as it is, I think my favorite polos are le tigre.. crazy, I know, but they fit just right, a very nice athletic fit, but not too showy tight like some of the other ones get.I actually have one with a small patch pocket that looks just like the one DC is wearing, and same fit as well...

6. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I absolutely hate the suburban insurance salesman look with the baggy polo, rope belt, kenneth coles.

Ah, those Kenneth Coles... [​IMG]

7. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

If they fit right, and are of a sufficient thickness, they are great. I prefer the RL Polo Polos in Custom fit. I never tuck them in, EVER. For me, they are the ultimate casual look.

[​IMG]

Mike

8. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

If they fit right, and are of a sufficient thickness, they are great. I prefer the RL Polo Polos in Custom fit. I never tuck them in, EVER. For me, they are the ultimate casual look.

[​IMG]

Mike

Your pic, it also shows, how great a polo,fitted, looks, untucked, with cool pants.

9. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

the hat, not a fan of, i am.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

hmmm...I like both polo shirts AND that hat. Stetson...? I recall my Grandfather having one just like that. He wore it with Brooks Brothers suits.
    It is a Stetson Open Road.
    western style hat = good. guy who dislikes squarish garb that oozes the worst about heterosexuality wearing the same hat = avril levigne wearing a tie with a tshirt = obvious, attention-seeking irony
    There is nothing ironic about my choice of hat.
    I'm the exact opposite - I used to wear them all the time and never wear them anymore. Like LK said, I'd much rather wear a nice, simple, fitted t-shirt than a polo shirt. Polo shirts just seam stuck in a no mans land between casual and work appropriate attire. LK - are you going to update your blog-like-entity?
    I am thinking of doing a post about luggage and Pere Ubu the band. ------ Polo shirts have this inevitable connotation of Casual Fridays and tragic Happy Hours involving poorly made daiquiris than a suit would ever evoke images of cheap car salesmen and Mens Wearhouse sales.

11. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Polos make me think of frat boys and sad white men living in the suburbs whose only joy in life in buying his next SUV or having an entertainment system superior to his coworkers.

12. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

the hat, not a fan of, i am.

If you are refering to me, it was from Jazzfest in New Orleans.....it is somewhat of a tradition to wear a goofy hat. [​IMG]

Mike

13. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Nonsense, they're a great, casual shirt.

Amen. Look, I often wear polo shirts during the summer to the office with Zegna or Zanella or Incotex trousers. The shirts are comfy and in 90 degree summer heat essential.

14. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Your pic, it also shows, how great a polo,fitted, looks, untucked, with cool pants.

And, thanks!!!

Mike

15. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Polos make me think of frat boys and sad white men living in the suburbs whose only joy in life in buying his next SUV or having an entertainment system superior to his coworkers.

Ha! Couldn't have said it better myself!

16. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Some of the folks here are so uptight about casual dress that if you shoved a piece of coal up their ass it would come out a diamond.

[​IMG]

17. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Some of the folks here are so uptight about casual dress that if you shoved a piece of coal up their ass it would come out a diamond.

[​IMG]

+1 LOL!

18. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I don't trust casual clothing suggestions from the Men's Clothing Board.

It'll be Brooks Bros. jeans with Tod's loafers next.

19. ruben

ruben Senior member

I agree with Label King (by the way, great blog, love the tailor awards pics, they look like Malooffan).

All this talk about a proper fitting polo bugs me even more. A slim or fitted polo is the uniform of the college guy who buys whatevers on sale at abercrombie, american eagle etc.

For me th only way a polo should be worn is hyper-casually, cut boxy and loose and never buttoned or tucked. Reserved for boating, playing tennis, or the beach.

20. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

I don't trust casual clothing suggestions from the Men's Clothing Board.

It'll be Brooks Bros. jeans with Tod's loafers next.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]