• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Mil/surplus Thread

Gutman

Reaction score
Hmm, not sure. There are tons of them on sale in NZ, so just depends what the dealers are buying up. Most army surplus here for the last 20 years has been eastern block and european. not so much US or UK stuff. You could try online, but the condition and fabric of these varies a bit, and i think some of them have been tailored - the sleeves are a little shorter on mine than i would prefer. best to try before you buy i think.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gutman
this is the west-german navy pea-coat i have. it has a zip-out quilted liner, one inside pocket (napoleon style), and two curved **** pockets on the front. poly wool mix. fairly formal type of cut. i've seen other w-german ones around, including a nice thick barathea one which i might have to get - it has more of a comfy look than this.

That is fantastic! I am envious.
fing02[1].gif

stylo 9000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 604guy
I'm in search of a green military inspired dress shirt with epaulets. Any one have any recommendations?
all the ones i can think of are khaki..
this is the west-german navy pea-coat i have. it has a zip-out quilted liner, one inside pocket (napoleon style), and two curved **** pockets on the front. poly wool mix. fairly formal type of cut. i've seen other w-german ones around, including a nice thick barathea one which i might have to get - it has more of a comfy look than this.
looks like what some would call a "reefer jacket" - correct me if i'm wrong... looks good

Lance

Reaction score
Hmm, not sure. There are tons of them on sale in NZ, so just depends what the dealers are buying up. Most army surplus here for the last 20 years has been eastern block and european. not so much US or UK stuff. You could try online, but the condition and fabric of these varies a bit, and i think some of them have been tailored - the sleeves are a little shorter on mine than i would prefer. best to try before you buy i think.

Thanks, it's a great looking jacket. Maybe I'll have one made from your photo.

stylo 9000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevenvg
found an ebay seller with quite a lot of old military shirts/jackets.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=mil...&_osacat=11450

looks like a bunch of stuff in ****** condition quite frankly. although if you want authenticity you couldn't do much better. i could go for the rip-stop shirt and some of the trousers.

Originally Posted by MHH89
If you are looking for great deals on surplus military clothing and accessories, I would highly suggest checking out the sportsmen's guide.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/s...-hq.aspx?d=122

A lot of good bargains but some of them you have to buy in packs of 3 or more

stevenvg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RCG Tiburon
looks like a bunch of stuff in ****** condition quite frankly. although if you want authenticity you couldn't do much better. i could go for the rip-stop shirt and some of the trousers.
yeah, i asked the seller as to the condition of one of the jackets and the reply she gave me was, "Yes, a combo of the wool, dust/dirt from storage, and its age, it'll have a little vintage funk to it
smile.gif
" so buy at your own risk.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
So the movie Inglourious Basterds opens today and my local paper gave it a 4/5 stars and stated "Tarantino triumphs with his commitment to authenticity. Further kudos on the costume and set design which is superb." I'm not even at the theatre yet and I already have a boner anticipating the baddass military wear that will be on display.

stylo 9000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
So the movie Inglourious Basterds opens today and my local paper gave it a 4/5 stars and stated "Tarantino triumphs with his commitment to authenticity. Further kudos on the costume and set design which is superb." I'm not even at the theatre yet and I already have a boner anticipating the baddass military wear that will be on display.
Valkyrie had some great costuming I thought. http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=196

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier

Watch the run on military surplus **** now. And we can sit back all smug because we were in on it before the movie came out.

stylo 9000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Watch the run on military surplus **** now. And we can sit back all smug because we were in on it before the movie came out.

but will it drive up the prices?

frown.gif

Arms_Akimbo

Reaction score
Just got this at a local consignment:
IMG_3799.jpg
It's got tags like milsurplus, but has matte black metal buttons w/ a Marines logo and the care tag says "to keep your coat looking smart insist on it being properly pressed". Makes me think it's SAS or something. It's a great midweight wool/poly gabardine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads