• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen, Reliable at last?

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suggestion: Can we include the fabric name or at least the main color in the Index page? As it is, you have to click every single one if you are researching. I know the intention is to START on the Jantzen site, and migrate to the Wiki, but why not start at the Wiki site?

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gregaz
Suggestion: Can we include the fabric name or at least the main color in the Index page? As it is, you have to click every single one if you are researching. I know the intention is to START on the Jantzen site, and migrate to the Wiki, but why not start at the Wiki site?

That's a good idea. There's one entry with an icon next to it now, using the Jantzen-hosted picture. That seems like a good convention to me.

PCyclone

Reaction score
How about organizing the fabrics by some sort of category - even better would be some way to cross-reference different characteristics. For example, you could organize it by pattern (solids, checks, stripes, etc.) and/or by color. Those would be the most useful to me, but maybe for others it would be the weave/type (poplin, oxford, twill, herringbone, etc.)? Maybe the wiki site doesn't make doing this sort of thing feasible, but it seems like something that would be good to do at the beginning before too many entries are posted, rather than later. Sorry I don't know how to actually DO that...

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a bit beyond my powers, I'm afraid.

Many of the entires are from styleforum posts and don't have much more than a picture and a brief description of the fabric, anyway.

dinted voice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PCyclone
How about organizing the fabrics by some sort of category - even better would be some way to cross-reference different characteristics. For example, you could organize it by pattern (solids, checks, stripes, etc.) and/or by color. Those would be the most useful to me, but maybe for others it would be the weave/type (poplin, oxford, twill, herringbone, etc.)? Maybe the wiki site doesn't make doing this sort of thing feasible, but it seems like something that would be good to do at the beginning before too many entries are posted, rather than later. Sorry I don't know how to actually DO that...

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth....Thanks ataturk! This will be perfect to assist in my next order!

PCyclone

Reaction score
Yeah, sorry, I should have prefaced that with a big thanks for doing it at all! I don't know how to do those things, either, unfortunately.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
My first Jantzen. Critiques, please! I am a n00bie when it comes to bespoke shirts. Cotton Twill #22, White. Shown with Thick As Thieves trousers (Light Tan #10) and J. Crew slim tie.
3786255815_530887b33c.jpg
3787066306_c36276e27e.jpg
3787066462_2ea9d642e1.jpg
3787066656_a8073ae50f.jpg
Specs:
  • Shirt Length: 28" (will lengthen this as it is a touch short)
  • Chest: 41 3/8"
  • Waist: 31 1/4"
  • Hip: 36 1/4"
  • Shoulder: 17 5/8" Regular Shoulder
  • Sleeve Length: 32 1/2"
  • Neck: 15 1/2
  • Height: 5'7"
  • Weight: 155lb
  • Wrist Size: 6 1/4"
  • Special for Thicker Watch: Left Hand 1/2" bigger
  • Shade of Cut: Form (4-6" allowance)
  • Body: Normal Shade
  • Collar Style: Collar Style #1, (Regular Pointed)
  • Collar Stay: Removable Collar Stay
  • Interlining: Regular
  • Tie Space: 1/8" (Standard)
  • Height on Collar Back: 1 1/2" (Standard)
  • Stitching on collar and cuffs: 1/4" (Our Standard) (I will probably reduce this)
  • Collar Point: Same as our Standard
  • Color of button hole and thread: White
  • Cuff Style: Single Cuff Style #1S (Round with Single Button)
  • Contrast Collar and Cuff: Self Collar & Cuff
  • Cuff Height: 2 1/4" (Short)
  • Pocket Style: No Pocket
  • Front Placket: French Front with Stitching
  • Width of Placket: 1 3/8 (Our Standard)
  • Sleeve: Long
  • Sleeves **** Extra Button: Without Sleeves Extra Buttons (will change this)
  • Shirt Tail: Regular Tail
  • Shoulder Pleat: No Pleat
  • Select one: Without Split Yoke
  • Gusset Triangle Color: Self Colour
  • Button Selections: Thick Nature Mother of Pearl Button (3.00mm) Thickness
  • Monogram Style: No Monogram

Cordwinder

Reaction score
looks good.
The shirt looks a little tight around the chest, but it could be just the picture.

How do you feel in your shirt?

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
^^ Thanks for the input guys.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Cordwinder
How do you feel in your shirt?

It actually feels fairly good. I have bespoke shirts from a tailor here in Philadelphia and they feel (and look) tighter in the chest than the Jantzen shirt pictured above. I think I was able to benefit from the earlier Philly tailor experience because when supplying measurements to Jantzen I was able to measure that shirt and make adjustments from it. I guess it goes to show that it's all a big learning process.

Gonna order some more shirts from Jantzen this month and see how it goes. It took about a month for them to turn around that first shirt so I figure I will put in an order for 5-6 shirts this week and hopefully receive them in early September.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
^^ Thanks for the input guys.
smile.gif

It actually feels fairly good. I have bespoke shirts from a tailor here in Philadelphia and they feel (and look) tighter in the chest than the Jantzen shirt pictured above. I think I was able to benefit from the earlier Philly tailor experience because when supplying measurements to Jantzen I was able to measure that shirt and make adjustments from it. I guess it goes to show that it's all a big learning process.

Gonna order some more shirts from Jantzen this month and see how it goes. It took about a month for them to turn around that first shirt so I figure I will put in an order for 5-6 shirts this week and hopefully receive them in early September.

I am curious because my measurements have changed and I now need to quickly find a new fit with Jantzen. Can you describe your process of measuring your shirt and how this translated to your submitted numbers?

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
I am curious because my measurements have changed and I now need to quickly find a new fit with Jantzen. Can you describe your process of measuring your shirt and how this translated to your submitted numbers?

From memory (I ordered in June, so it was a while ago) it was basically a combination of on-body measurements (as I was ordering a Thick As Thieves suit at the same time) and taking measurements off the existing shirt.

On-Body:

From Existing Shirt:
  • Shirt Length: 28" (now 30")

With the existing shirt I just took a tape measure and took it exactly from my current bespoke shirt.

Hope that helps.

Edit: I put in my second order with Jantzen last night, for five more shirts. Most are cotton twills as I'm very happy with the fabric on my #22 Twill above.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
From memory (I ordered in June, so it was a while ago) it was basically a combination of on-body measurements (as I was ordering a Thick As Thieves suit at the same time) and taking measurements off the existing shirt.

On-Body:

From Existing Shirt:
  • Shirt Length: 28" (now 30")

With the existing shirt I just took a tape measure and took it exactly from my current bespoke shirt.

Hope that helps.

Edit: I put in my second order with Jantzen last night, for five more shirts. Most are cotton twills as I'm very happy with the fabric on my #22 Twill above.

Great, thanks. That's essentially what I did for my first order, though what did you use for fit to tie to those body meaurements? Form? Slim?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads