• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen, Reliable at last?

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
Great, thanks. That's essentially what I did for my first order, though what did you use for fit to tie to those body meaurements? Form? Slim?

Form (4-6" allowance). Seems to work fairly well.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
3786255815_530887b33c.jpg

3787066306_c36276e27e.jpg

Sleeves look a bit short to me--reading your other comment, I guess I should have piped in a little sooner.

Alfa

Reaction score
Hi All,

I tried Jantzen a few years ago after first joining the forum and seeing the hype. Submitted self measurement and the product turned out very bad with unintentional 3/4 sleeves. I am certain it was probably due to my own mis-measurement more than anything.

A few months ago, my girlfriend was in HK for a biz trip and I gave her a shirt I had made in Indonesia as a measurement base to copy and had 4 shirts made. The results were quite good although it seemed there was a HUGE difference between the premium fabrics and the normal cottons (I didn't have that experience with my first order in 2007). I have since ordered 4 more for a total of 8 shirts in the past few months, 6 of which are the premiums. I have the measurements nearly perfect and am now figuring out the details of the collar, etc. Some pics the shirts below. Forgive the wrinkles, my Sunday night ironing can get pretty rushed. The poplins are terrific and quite wrinkle resistant. Herringbones also have a great hand. Delivery was in 3 weeks to Singapore.

In order of the pics, here is: 8061, 8396, 8089, 8083, 8304 and 8113. I also have 2265 and 2580 in the wash, both of which I wouldn't recommend as they feel polyblend to me and generally don't have a good hand.

P1000484.JPG

P1000489.JPG

P1000495.JPG

P1000501.JPG

P1000505.JPG

P1000510.JPG

tom153

Reaction score
Hey, Alfa, is 8061 as nice as it looks in the pic? How thick is the material? Any sheen? How about transparency? Did it shrink after you washed it?

Please let us know.

Also, what kind of collar is that?

Alfa

Reaction score
8061 is probably my favorite of the bunch. Slight sheen, but that fades quite a bit after a few washings. It is poplin so it is pretty thin but generally not see through and like I said extremely wrinkle resistant.

The collar is the #15 wide spread which I requested with two buttons instead of the usual one. One thing to note is that they use the normal placket buttons for double-button collars so it isn't as elegant as most shirtmakers who will use a smaller button for the collar. I generally wear them tie-less so this doesn't really bother me, but on the occassions where I have worn a tie the big buttons can be cumbersome. These are also all the thick extra-cost MOP buttons.

My last order I switched to the #29 "Italian high dual button classic spread" which I don't like as much as the #15.

Alfa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
To your point on the collar button - when I had a nicer shirt with thin MOP finally go on me I salvaged the buttons and replaced all of my Jantzen collar buttons with these. It made a huge difference.

I think if I had to wear a tie everyday I would probably do the same. In future orders I may ask them to use the normal MOP buttons at the collar and see if that makes a difference. One thing which is great about Jantzen is they are totally fine with doing small changes at no cost. I have been having my last button hole (the one no one sees except me) done in purple stiching just because I can!

P1000506.JPG

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
Sleeves look a bit short to me--reading your other comment, I guess I should have piped in a little sooner.

No biggie, can always fix in the next order. I'm just starting to build my bespoke shirt collection.

Stats (will update):

Ordered Aug 6, 2009
Acknowledged Aug 9, 2009
Shipped: ?
Received: Aug 28, 2009

dinted voice

Reaction score
^^ I may be wrong, but I think it is MTM not bespoke when you use jantzen.

Thanks for all the fit pics and fabric closeups everyone!

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gregaz
Order #3

Ordered - 07-10-09
Confirmed - 07-13-09
Delivered - 07-31-09

Fabric - Jantzen 8040
Frence Blue Fine Twill with White Classic Stripe, 100's 2 plys, 100% European Cotton.

Collar - P-15 with 3.25" points

DSC_7720.jpg

Made a few adjustments since the last time, so hopefully I am getting closer to the right fit. Seems better so far, but need to do the washes to know for sure.

Started a separate thread to get comments. VERY happy with my third order, think I am almost there to order multiples. Did we ever settle on a nice plain blue fabric?

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whats the best fabric for a white shirt?

I was told my jantzen that #1 and #11 are now the same fabric. I find #1 a bit thin.

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
Whats the best fabric for a white shirt?

I was told my jantzen that #1 and #11 are now the same fabric. I find #1 a bit thin.

I believe I have a shirt made from 8113 (photos here), and the fabric is really nice. The reason I don't know for sure what it is, is I just asked Ricky to use his nicest premium white for my first shirt.

Since I am ordering a plain white on my next batch, I was planning on going with 8113.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think is the best collar for a casual shirt worn with jeans (probably gingham pattern), where I would not button the top button?

DTO

Reaction score
If it's for Bespoke shirts in Hong Kong.
I would recommend Ascot Chan for quality; but if the prize is a concern, Jantzen is also an option FWIW. But some of my fellows do not appreciate J's garments, called it "tourist trap"...
Just personal opinions.

DTO

DTO

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
What do you guys think is the best collar for a casual shirt worn with jeans (probably gingham pattern), where I would not button the top button?

A long (3.5 inches or more) buttom down, or a tiny collar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads