• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen, Reliable at last?

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
What do you guys think is the best collar for a casual shirt worn with jeans (probably gingham pattern), where I would not button the top button?

I do the A16 / 16A Big England Spread.

instep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by UserNameToronto
I do the A16 / 16A Big England Spread.
Wow, that reminded me of a girl I used to go out with.
devil.gif

tjc4golf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tjc4golf
I'm having a bit of trouble with a few of the shirts I recently ordered from Jantzen - the stitching around many of the buttonholes is coming undone. I've only worn them a few times so far (the blue and pink check ***** arrived mid-April, the blue stripe arrived mid-May) and I'm positive that the shirts have been cared for properly as I launder them myself. I've washed my own shirts for years and have never had a similar problem with any other brand of shirt.

I just sent an email to Ricky a few minutes ago - have not heard back yet.

Has anyone else experienced this? With all of the Jantzen customers here I'm suprised that I couldn't find any other mention of this especially since this does not seem like an aberration as it is happening on shirts from two seprate orders, multiple buttonholes per shirt and made with three different spools of thread (one light pink, one light blue, one white).

I've included some pictures (click on thumbnails for full size) of a few of the buttonholes so you can see what I'm talking about.

6/17 Update: Ricky responded promptly, apologized and offered to fix the shirts if I send them back. It could be awhile but I'll update this post once I receive the shirts back from Jantzen.

Recieved the shirts with the repaired buttonholes back from Ricky a week or so ago. The buttonhole stitching now appears thicker/heavier than normal. If you look at the buttonholes in isolation they look a little weird due to this but when worn they're not noticeable as (1) they're partially covered by the buttons and (2) you're looking at the shirt as a whole, not individual buttonholes. Overall I am satisfied with the repairs.

Here is an example of a repaired buttonhole:

tjc4golf

Reaction score
Just added the following fabrics to the Jantzen Farbic Wiki:

Also, I upgraded the 8249 entry from a "no personal experience with this fabric" entry to a normal review.

Thanks to Ataturk for settin up the wiki. Here's the link for those that aren't familiar:
http://jantzenfabrics.wikidot.com/

tjc4golf

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience ordering Tuxedo Shirts from Janzten? In particular I'm interested in hearing about (1) sucesses/failures in ordering pleated front shirts and (2) fabric recommendations. Thanks!

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I ordered a pique front tuxedo shirt from Jantzen a while back. It was nice, except the collar and cuffs shrunk a lot after only a few washings, rendering it essentially unwearable. I replaced with a much nicer sea island voile (definitely recommend voile for a tux shirt if possible).

As for pleats, I'd just be specific about the width you want.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my second try.
kkcbIl.jpg
XA8LZl.jpg
ITZKMl.jpg
DZxAAl.jpg
Thinking +.5 on the neck, -1 on the chest, +1 on the length.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
I just got my second order of five Jantzen shirts. I got them back from the cleaner's and they look good. I had the sleeve lengthened by 1/4", and the shirt length upped by 2". I think I'm basically spot-on now.

Stupid question: how do I use the StyleForum wiki to post the fabrics so other SF'ers can benefit? I'm just starting to build my shirt collection so it's not likely I'm the first one to order a particular fabric, but you never know.

Edit: disregard the above, I see the "how to contribute" section on the wiki.

Third order timeframe:

Order placed: Sept 1, 2009
Order acknowledged: Sep 9, 2009
Card charged: Sep 25, 2009
Order received: Sep 26, 2009

dinted voice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
This is my second try.

kkcbIl.jpg

XA8LZl.jpg

ITZKMl.jpg

DZxAAl.jpg

Thinking +.5 on the neck, -1 on the chest, +1 on the length.

The body def. looks better, though the check could come in a hair. I would also shorten the sleeves, or ask for slimmer sleeves. The picture with your hands by your sides make the sleeves look a couple inches too long.

dinted voice

Reaction score
Wanted to thank people for contributing to the wiki. Whoever recommend 8396, thanks! It is a great fabric...fantastic color, great detail, and has a nice feel to it. Will most likely end up my fav. of the 3 I have.

Question for those who have gotten slim sleeves....how do you request this from Riki? I asked him to bring in the arm width on this order, but it does not seem he did. How have to asked him to do this? (i.e. how did you describe it?)

linsook

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinted voice
Wanted to thank people for contributing to the wiki. Whoever recommend 8396, thanks! It is a great fabric...fantastic color, great detail, and has a nice feel to it. Will most likely end up my fav. of the 3 I have. Question for those who have gotten slim sleeves....how do you request this from Riki? I asked him to bring in the arm width on this order, but it does not seem he did. How have to asked him to do this? (i.e. how did you describe it?)
i've requested my biceps to be smaller i'm guessing in turn will make it slimmer throughout the arm as it tapers down to your wrist size.

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted to thank people for contributing to the wiki. Whoever recommend 8396, thanks! It is a great fabric...fantastic color, great detail, and has a nice feel to it. Will most likely end up my fav. of the 3 I have.

Question for those who have gotten slim sleeves....how do you request this from Riki? I asked him to bring in the arm width on this order, but it does not seem he did. How have to asked him to do this? (i.e. how did you describe it?)

I just got an 8396 shirt as well - undergoing three launderings at the moment, but I like it so far. Also got an 8061 and 8113.

+1 on the Wiki kudos and the sleeves question.

instep

Reaction score

Easy, just narrow the armscye - with the shirt flat on a bed, measure the 'height' of the attachment of the sleeve to the body, then adjust that figure to your liking. Jantzen will then taper the sleeve all the way down to your cuff.

Makes a big difference, and helps you wear your shirts with jackets/suits with very very high armholes (i.e. your shirt 'armpit' does not catch on your jacket 'armpit').

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am having a bit of a problem with Jantzen and would appreciate some advice. I have been a happy customer for around 5 years and have bought around 20 shirts by internet and twice at the shop in Hong Kong. I was in Hong Kong a few weeks ago and asked to be re-measured as I have gained some weight. They did and I ordered 5 shirts. I went back the next day for a fitting and noted that the neck seemed too big. Ricky agreed and said he would have it reduced. I picked the shirts up the next day (without trying them on- a mistake!) and returned to Japan. After washing them I tried on the shirts and found they were all still much too big on the neck so... 1. I emailed Ricky to inform them that they seemed around 3cm too big and could I send them back for repair. 2. He replied promptly to say that they added "only 2cm" and asked me to make sure it was 3cm too big. To me 2 cm is still a lot so I am not sure what the point of this was. 3. I compared with an older Jantzen shirt, found it was 2.5cm bigger and emailed this info to say that it was still way too big for me, and could I please send them back for repair. I added a picture showing the large size of the neck.
img4525m.jpg
4. He replied to say that it did look "really a little bit larger than normal" and I would have to pay $90HK/shirt for repair and postage. 5. I replied to say that I did not feel responsible for any error as they did the measuring. I said that I would pay postage from Japan to HK but expected him to cover repair and return postage. 6. 2 days ago. No reply yet. Any advice here before I give him a call?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads