• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canada Goose

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
the chateau one looks pretty good.

Do you have a link? I don't think I've seen that one. I like the storm chaser but it just looks really plain an boring.

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
It does look a little baggy but I think he might be wearing a size too big. I don't want anything warm. I want a waterproof/windproof shell and that's it. I'll layer a fleece under it when I need to but I don't want anything insulated. The problem I have with most shells is the non-removable hood. I hate hoods unless I actually want to use it. Otherwise I want to be able to take it off or tuck it into a zipper like this CG. I have a Mountain Hardwear Dragon softshell. It is awesome and the coolest material I've ever seen but I hate that the hood is always there.

I also don't want a North Face. I'm a student and literally everyone on campus wears North Face I think. That's a bad reason to not get one but I just hate the fact that everyone wears it.

In that case I think it's a bit silly to buy a $700 winter coat for something other than warmth... unless you've got that disposable income I guess.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZackyBoy
In that case I think it's a bit silly to buy a $700 winter coat for something other than warmth... unless you've got that disposable income I guess.

Well it will keep me warm because I have a couple of fleeces to go under it. I don't like insulated jackets because sometimes they are overkill. I like to have a waterproof and windproof shell and then layer as necessary depending on the the temperature. I had an insulated North Face and it was overkill a lot of the times and was actually too hot. I have a light fleece and a heavy fleece. The light fleece and CG will probably be all I need most of the time. If it gets really cold I'll wear the heavy fleece under the CG.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.canada-goose.com/137pr_th...eau_parka_.htm

I'm talking about this one

O yea that's nice but that's insulated, which is what I don't want.

Does anybody know how to size CG? I normally wear a large in most shirts and jackets but usually a medium in North Face shells but a large in their fleeces. Mountain Hardwear jackets in a large normally fit me real good. I was at Blue in Green a couple weeks ago and they had this CG shell in a large so I tried it on but it was huge. Does CG normally run really big like this?

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah. What is better with a non insulated jacket?
Well sometimes an insulated jacket is too much and too warm. If you start with just a good waterproof shell you can layer under it and essentially make your own jacket. I go to school in upstate NY and the weather is really weird. It can be rainy and warm one day and then we could have a blizzard and it be 10 degrees out the next. So you can wear different fleeces under a good shell depending on how hot or cold it is. A shell and a couple fleeces can do the same thing as having 5 different jackets for different conditions. A shell is just more versatile. I have a motorcycle too and I think this shell would be really good for when it rains or is windy.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have this expedition jacket on sale at backcountry. It looks pretty similar but I don't like the hood. But it is on sale so I may go for this instead. Not sure yet. http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorge.../CDG0017M.html This Arcteryx is pretty nice too.
ABYBL.jpg

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you really dont need the insulation or goose down then CG jackets are overkill IMO, and non-insulated CG jackets are not worth the price since they're kinda new and wont be too much options on where to buy them and they most likely wont go on sale like the regular down filled CG jackets.

Having said that, I dont think any CG jacket is worth its retail price, just wait for the sale or buy last seasons color and you can get it for at least 40% off the retail price, just look around on several webstores that carry clearance items and last seasons colors on sale, etc.

Now, if you're dead set on getting a CG jacket, I would suggest the constable, its IMO the best fitting one out of all the CG down filled jackets (has an M65 style to it with 4 big outside pockets + 2 slated hand warmer pockets), it's not as puffy or thick as the chilliwack or the expedition yet just as warm when needed, also the patch is much smaller and on the side shoulder so not as noticeable as most CG "look at me" patches, it has a removable hood with no fur on it and lastly the 2-way side zippers make it a very versatile jacket since you can wear it when its not too cold with just a tshirt under it and the front and side zipps open, and it can also keep you really warm in super cold weather with a thick sweater under and fully zipped.

I've tried other CG jackets before (mainly chilliwack, yorkville and expedition) and they're way too warm for temps above 5-10 C, even unzipped and with a tshirt under, constable is kind of unique in that way among CG jackets (side zipps and not as thick/puffy as others).

Also the constable retails for around $550, I've bought 2 of them since I moved to Canada, I paid around $350 shipped for the first one from Gear up and I paid around $150 for the second one from some other webstore in the US that had last seasons colors on clearance , so you can definitely get a deal on them if you look around.

Now, all that aside, if you just want something for wind and rain, go for something else, north face are pretty good for that, so I guess thats why they're soo popular but you should be able to find something similar to it that works for your needs.....

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Yea I'm starting to shy away from CG. I'm definitely liking that Arcteryx better. It is expensive as well but it's a 3 layer Gore-Tex Pro Shell so I know it's going to be top quality.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea I'm over the CG. I found a 15% code for backcountry that expires in a couple days. That's like $85 off the Arcteryx so I'm going to order that.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by canstyleace
Good luck and please give us a review once you get a chance to try it out.....

Thanks. I'm torn between sizes. I think I'm going to be in between a Medium and Large but I'm going to try the medium first because I hate baggy jackets. Shouldn't be any problems though. I think you could stand in a hurricane with a Gore Tex Pro shell and not get wet.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is a good CG for temperatures below 0? You mentioned the constable was good for temperatures above zero, but what about somewhere like in Ottawa where I could be freezing ****** off at -40?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads