• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some Sam Hober silk squares

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Preventative apologies for the slight digression. Those are very handsome squares, but why would you get the hand rolled edges on the linen/cotton ones as well? Of course there's nothing wrong with that, and the handcrafting looks excellent, but I don't understand why nobody here seems to like the orlo a giorno: http://www.silmoh.com/C12.03.jpg

I only (and sparingly) use white linen squares, and they are like that. It just seems more sober to me.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Preventative apologies for the slight digression. Those are very handsome squares, but why would you get the hand rolled edges on the linen/cotton ones as well? Of course there's nothing wrong with that, and the handcrafting looks excellent, but I don't understand why nobody here seems to like the orlo a giorno: http://www.silmoh.com/C12.03.jpg

I only (and sparingly) use white linen squares, and they are like that. It just seems more sober to me.

I like those, too, like a hemstitched Givan's or SG.

There isn't a lot of variety of nice hem or spoke stitched hankies, though.

Compare that to the wealth of options for rolled edge Simonnot-Godard or the Riva Hobers, particularly when you get into colors and patterns in your cotton or linen squares.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
While posting those links, I ran across these SG:

filscoupes2.jpg

inlove.gif

- B

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last I checked Sam Hober didn't offer an honest, 100% linen white square. Why not?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I cannot get excited about hem quality on squares. I don't care if they are machine done, as long as they are neat.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I cannot get excited about hem quality on squares. I don't care if they are machine done, as long as they are neat.

Why do you care if they are neat?

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Why do you care if they are neat?

- B

Neat as in no frayed silk flying all over the place and edges that are straight, not curved. Not neat as in beautiful stitches.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Neat as in no frayed silk flying all over the place and edges that are straight, not curved. Not neat as in beautiful stitches.

How about one out of two?

img6728aq4.jpg

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
On the issue of hand rolling, I like it to be nicely done, but am not too concerned about it one way or the other.

One can be unconcerned, yet admire things that are done as well as possible even when greater expediency is a financially attractive alternative.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I could not live with a square with a machined edge and can't imagine how any of you could.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I could not live with a square with a machined edge and can't imagine how any of you could.
I have a few great Barbera squares. They use a machine similar to that used by Kiton for fake pick stitching on the inside of the coats. I don't think there is really any difference at all.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have a few great Barbera squares. They use a machine similar to that used by Kiton for fake pick stitching on the inside of the coats. I don't think there is really any difference at all.

Oh, you mean fake hand stitching, I am OK with that. I don't like the obvious machine chain stitch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads