Some Sam Hober silk squares

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by voxsartoria, Jul 14, 2009.

1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

One can be unconcerned, yet admire things that are done as well as possible even when greater expediency is a financially attractive alternative.

I can't get sentimental over handstitched buttonholes on shirts, either. Shocking, I know.

[​IMG]

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Oh, you mean fake hand stitching, I am OK with that. I don't like the obvious machine chain stitch.

Where do you stand on these?

[​IMG]

- B

3. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

I'm much more interested in getting a square properly sized. I have some squares that are a good size, but I really dislike an undersized square. I don't know what a good square size is off the top of my head, but maybe I'll go home and measure some of mine so then I'll know. The one Hober square I have is an amazing square, but the next ones I order I'm going to order slightly larger.

I think the handrolled/machinerolled debate is similar to the mechanical/quartz watch debate. Strikes me as an appreciation for the craftsmanship more than an issue of functionality.

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I can't get sentimental over handstitched buttonholes on shirts, either. Shocking, I know.

That shows bitterness arising from the aging process. You should refamiliarize yourself with Bluto's Meaningless Gesture speech.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

- B

5. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I'm much more interested in getting a square properly sized..

12 inches is an ideal size for me. Bigger than that and it does not really fit, smaller and it keeps falling in. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

There nice, I really like the navy paisley. The others are a bit loud for my taste.

7. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I think the handrolled/machinerolled debate is similar to the mechanical/quartz watch debate. Strikes me as an appreciation for the craftsmanship more than an issue of functionality.

The functionality of pocket squares is pretty serious business. I can readily see why people would want to Occam out as many superfluous things about them as possible, and focus entirely on function.

This is why there is a lot to be said for the simplicity of losing pocket squares altogether, or if not, pulling out the lining of your breast pocket and then being done with it.

- B

8. DocHolliday

That shows bitterness arising from the aging process. You should refamiliarize yourself with Bluto's Meaningless Gesture speech.

Is this how you dealt with it back when you were my age?

The functionality of pocket squares is pretty serious business. I can readily see why people would want to Occam out as many superfluous things about them as possible, and focus entirely on function.

This is why there is a lot to be said for the simplicity of losing pocket squares altogether, or if not, pulling out the lining of your breast pocket and then being done with it.

My breast-pocketless coat has scandalized the forum.

9. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

12 inches is an ideal size for me. Bigger than that and it does not really fit, smaller and it keeps falling in. [​IMG] [​IMG]

You hand out some of the worst, most unusable straight lines ever.

Where's Moo?

- B

10. Mark from Plano

- B

I'm laughing because this topic actually came up today in my (final) fitting with MBC/DSF-MT.

11. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Is this how you dealt with it back when you were my age?

My breast-pocketless coat has scandalized the forum.

I feel that regular re-acclimatization with Animal House is a key that unlocks many perplexing problems.

As for your coat: I posted one without a breast pocket about a year and a half ago.

- B

12. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

. . . David also has quite a selection of Riva shirtings that you can get as squares...I plan on getting some myself given what I have seen with the squares that I recieved today. - B
    I have had several made as neck scarves. The workmanship is better than outstanding. I can't get over the lack of border on printed squares, though.

13. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I'm laughing because this topic actually came up today in my (final) fitting with MBC/DSF-MT.

Who brought it up, him or you?

Oh: look forward to seeing it.

- B

14. DocHolliday

As for your coat: I posted one without a breast pocket about a year and a half ago.

Do you have a pic handy? I'd like to see another of these rare specimens in the wild. What made you go sans pocket?

15. Mark from Plano

Who brought it up, him or you?

Oh: look forward to seeing it.

- B

Well, actually it was another customer who was asking how to fold a pocket square. I don't exactly remember the course of the conversation that took us from that to pulling the lining out of your pocket, but I think that was my suggestion.

As an aside I will say that some here will probably object to the lining I have in my new suit (I [​IMG]), but virtually none would object if it were made into a pocket square.