• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Julius

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol no way, higher then that.

Leathers are awesome, by Zeus' beard I want one. The t's are great too.

SW & D is great because anyone can post about anything. The board is way better when people discuss low, middle and high priced brands. Saying oh that's not appropriate just hammers home groupthink and then we all wear the same.

The board is sweet becuase you have everything together.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotta love prejudice.

I can see how these collections can be reinterpreted by SF members, a good point. But you can't blame me or anyone for expecting this thread to be shortlived, there have been many occasions when people have been put down by SF members for having alternative views. People talk of the SF uniform ironically, but there is truth to that joke, apart from a few members, the WAYWT here is not particularly diverse, maybe now that I think about it we could use more of these threads.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ftfy
smile.gif

Originally Posted by XenoX101
Gotta love prejudice.

I can see how these collections can be reinterpreted by SF members, a good point. But you can't blame anyone for expecting me to be shortlived, there have been many occasions when people have been put down by SF members for having alternative views. People talk of the SF uniform ironically, but there is truth to that joke, apart from a few members, the WAYWT here is not particularly diverse, maybe now that I think about it we could use more of these threads.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta love prejudice.

I can see how these collections can be reinterpreted by SF members, a good point. But you can't blame me or anyone for expecting this thread to be shortlived.

It's not prejudice. That would imply that the poster is not being judged on their merits, but on the basis of some unfounded, pre-exisiting biases against him. I don't really have time to read other fora, but am judging you based on your posts here. Now, please do STFU and save yourself a week in the pokey. You don't want to be only the second poster (and that was a deliberate troll) timed out for being annoying.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably predisposition would be a better way of putting it, I can say with great certainty that a handful of members will respond in certain ways irrespective of what I've said and will put much weight on technicalities or discripencies and see difference of opinion as ignorance (in purely subjective matters like taste, that is). I undestand though that this is unavoidable and expected, we're all influenced one way or another, just thought it was worth pointing out as some people seem to forget it.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've liked the pieces that Blackbird has gotten in the past two seasons (particularly most of the cuffed/cropped pants). It sucks that this stuff doesn't fit me.

Originally Posted by Fuuma
You can see half my mug on the right of the shot (wearing glasses), consider this a WAYWT if you like. Better now?
So much photochop potential with that picture...

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know all Japanese clothing is ridiculously expensive, but most Julius stuff appears to be 2x to 3x more expensive than other Japanese brands. Is the quality better than the other brands, or are you just paying more for the design? For example, a brand like Mr. Olive might charge 7000 yen for a non-button down shirt. But a Julius shirt that's most similar (i.e. like a fancy t-shirt) will often be around 18000 yen. And if Blackbird sells the same Julius shirt, the price will balloon to around $350! For example... http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Juli...Sew_12325.html

Oxnard

Reaction score
Yeah gotta agree with this, I'm a big fan of the avant garde/post-modern designers but it's not really appropriate for this forum. I know we embrace diversity but cultural traits are guaranteed in any community and I think these jawnz don't really mesh with the people here. Not for better or for worse, it's completely subjective.

Really disagree with this entirely. While I don't really find myself really intrigued by many of these pieces from this particular season, it is silly to suggest that brands that don't play into "style forum brand synergy" shouldn't be posted. Its called ******* STYLE FORUM, not SINGLE MINDED VIEW OF MODERN TRAD ONLY forum. As for this season, really not feeling the head scarves, but some of the leathers are nice, as usual, though too expensive for myself, again as usual. Regardless of whether or not only a few people would actually buy it, please keep making these kinds of fashion threads anyway.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oxnard
Really disagree with this entirely. While I don't really find myself really intrigued by many of these pieces from this particular season, it is silly to suggest that brands that don't play into "style forum brand synergy" shouldn't be posted. Its called ******* STYLE FORUM, not SINGLE MINDED VIEW OF MODERN TRAD ONLY forum. As for this season, really not feeling the head scarves, but some of the leathers are nice, as usual, though too expensive for myself, again as usual. Regardless of whether or not only a few people would actually buy it, please keep making these kinds of fashion threads anyway.
Totally agree. It was refreshing to see this thread about Julius (even if I may never buy anything from them) rather than hear about Uniqlo, APC, J. Crew, W+H, or Quoddy for the thousandth time.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
I know all Japanese clothing is ridiculously expensive, but most Julius stuff appears to be 2x to 3x more expensive than other Japanese brands. Is the quality better than the other brands, or are you just paying more for the design?

For example, a brand like Mr. Olive might charge 7000 yen for a non-button down shirt. But a Julius shirt that's most similar (i.e. like a fancy t-shirt) will often be around 18000 yen. And if Blackbird sells the same Julius shirt, the price will balloon to around $350!

For example...
http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Juli...Sew_12325.html

Mr. Olive is a designer brand. Mr. Olive is men's contemporary. Other Japanese designer brands like Kiminori Morishita, N. Hoolywood, etc... are all similarly priced. And yes, the US and European prices are nuts. On the other hand, the same pair of Margiela kicks that goes for $290 in Europe goes for $395 in the US goes for closing in on $600 in Japan.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
I know all Japanese clothing is ridiculously expensive, but most Julius stuff appears to be 2x to 3x more expensive than other Japanese brands. Is the quality better than the other brands, or are you just paying more for the design?

For example, a brand like Mr. Olive might charge 7000 yen for a non-button down shirt. But a Julius shirt that's most similar (i.e. like a fancy t-shirt) will often be around 18000 yen. And if Blackbird sells the same Julius shirt, the price will balloon to around $350!

For example...
http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Juli...Sew_12325.html

Julius is more in line with Rick Owens than Mr. Olive.

Btw, how much does a Julius leather run at retail? I always see decent pieces on sale on SuFu for reasonable prices (600-900 I think, not sure).

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Mr. Olive is a designer brand. Mr. Olive is men's contemporary. Other Japanese designer brands like Kiminori Morishita, N. Hoolywood, etc... are all similarly priced. And yes, the US and European prices are nuts. On the other hand, the same pair of Margiela kicks that goes for $290 in Europe goes for $395 in the US goes for closing in on $600 in Japan.

I see. I had noticed several shops in Japan carrying both Mr. Olive and Julius at the same shop. So even though the two brands look quite different, I had assumed there might be some amount of overlap in the market space they occupy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads