1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Julius

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Nouveau Pauvre, Jul 9, 2009.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I see. I had noticed several shops in Japan carrying both Mr. Olive and Julius at the same shop. So even though the two brands look quite different, I had assumed there might be some amount of overlap in the market space they occupy.

Boutiques typically have brands at at least 2 pricepoints, to reach different customers (or customers in different moods.) For example, the Archive in San Francisco carries Nice Collective next to MA+. Some stores, like Blackbird in Seattle, carry a brands in up to 5 pricepoints, from Obey to Odyn Vovk. Boutiques across the country carry Shades of Greige as an entry level product.

2. BB1

BB1 Distinguished Member

Julius is more in line with Rick Owens than Mr. Olive. Btw, how much does a Julius leather run at retail? I always see decent pieces on sale on SuFu for reasonable prices (600-900 I think, not sure).
    Nearly $3000 for Julius leather originally at Blackbird.... http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Juli...son_11769.html But only 170,000 yen for Julius leather in Japan.... http://www.offside-web.com/shop/shop...ey=1&popup=yes What is the deal with Blackbird's sky high pricing anyway?? Also, I see some of the more expensive pants and leather from Mr. Olive are nearly as expensive as Julius. However unlike Mr. Olive, Julius appear to offer no cheaper items in their line-up at all! I guess they're trying to maintain a high priced image / status.

3. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

4. BB1

BB1 Distinguished Member

Import duties, exchange rate and shipping costs means that both places are probably making around the same amount of profit selling the item. Life is a bitch.
    Well, one can proxy those jackets for way less than Blackbird's original price. But I suppose the average Blackbird customer doesn't realize that. EMS shipping is only $30. What % is that of $3000?!? And I've never been charged duty on anything regardless of the cost.

5. Fuuma

Well, one can proxy those jackets for way less than Blackbird's original price. But I suppose the average Blackbird customer doesn't realize that.

EMS shipping is only $30. What % is that of $3000?!? And I've never been charged duty on anything regardless of the cost.

Speaking as a consumer, yes absolutely. Now how are you going to try them on and be exposed to their goods if no one near you carries them? It's a balancing act.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Import duties, exchange rate and shipping costs means that both places are probably making around the same amount of profit selling the item. Life is a bitch.

That, and also, because of this, slight differences in the markup can make a big difference. Blackbird (and Seattle stores in general) tend to have higher markups than say, NYC or Toronto boutiques. No idea why. Compare between the prices at Odin and at Blackbird, for example. However, import duties, and to a lesser degree, shipping (which is reflected in the markup, because it is part of the "gamble" that retailers make when bringing in an item), are the main causes of the price differences. With proxies, there is not that same "risk" that retailers take, which is where their competitive edge comes from. The internet has created a new world order that has at the same time increased the market for stores like Selfedge and Context, and made it harder to control market share. I don't know how things are going to play out, but my gut says that those who can adapt will survive, and that those who try too hard to control their fiefdoms are fighting the tide. History shows that you can't really fight technological changes.

7. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Distinguished Member

STFU. Styleforum is what it is because we've always allowed people to discuss whatever they want, whether it's tailored clothing, or Samurai jeans, or Wings+Horns. And now people want to post about Julius and MA+. If you don't want to discuss these topics, or are still butthurt because you haven't been able to stimulate any discussion, maybe you should either get out of the threads, or learn something from Natan.
    Nicely said! I've noticed that in the past 6-12 months a lot of the "old guard" is starting to disappear from the WAYWT threads, or completely from the site because they are getting a little tired of the standardization of what's approved around here.... I miss posts from Sauce, DDML, RyeGB, that guy from Perth.... all people who would have found a way to integrate the high fashion/fashion-forward stuff in with their more traditional gear. We could all benefit from a little inspiration other than button down collar shirts and straight leg denim every single day. It keeps the forum from becoming stale, which in some ways I think it has. That's why I recently joined SZ and put aside their member's obnoxious attitudes for a some fresh ideas.

8. BB1

BB1 Distinguished Member

Speaking as a consumer, yes absolutely. Now how are you going to try them on and be exposed to their goods if no one near you carries them? It's a balancing act.
    True. I don't begrudge Blackbird for carrying stuff like Julius and pricing it high. It is actually nice to see it being sold here in the US. However unlike here in the US, most Japanese web sites provide accurate clothing measurements for nearly all items. I've bought many items from Japan without trying them on and every one of them has fit as expected. But without those measurements, I would have likely made many expensive mistakes that could not be returned.

9. Fuuma

True. I don't begrudge Blackbird for carrying stuff like Julius and pricing it high. It is actually nice to see it being sold here in the US.

However unlike here in the US, most Japanese web sites provide accurate clothing measurements for nearly all items. I've bought many items from Japan without trying them on and every one of them has fit as expected. But without those measurements, I would have likely made many expensive mistakes that could not be returned.

Measurements are useful and I have bought items sight unseen. However they certainly can't account for everything having to do with fit/texture/etc. I hardly buy anything online nowadays unless I can't help it.

10. Oxnard

Oxnard Senior Member

Nicely said!

I've noticed that in the past 6-12 months a lot of the "old guard" is starting to disappear from the WAYWT threads, or completely from the site because they are getting a little tired of the standardization of what's approved around here.... I miss posts from Sauce, DDML, RyeGB, that guy from Perth.... all people who would have found a way to integrate the high fashion/fashion-forward stuff in with their more traditional gear.

We could all benefit from a little inspiration other than button down collar shirts and straight leg denim every single day. It keeps the forum from becoming stale, which in some ways I think it has. That's why I recently joined SZ and put aside their member's obnoxious attitudes for a some fresh ideas.

I know what you mean entirely, WAYWT used to have a much more lively amalgamation of style and brands back when I first joined start lurking/joined. Guy from Perth was JPGM I think, I always really liked his pictures, he did all black in a way that less ninja-esque but still very cool. I think the general assortment of photos has also changed as we see more Mens Clothing -type fits in there, which is by no means a bad thing either.

11. Jekyll

Jekyll Distinguished Member

Guy from Perth was JPGM I think, I always really liked his pictures, he did all black in a way that less ninja-esque but still very cool.

I really miss JPGM.[​IMG]

12. Razele

Razele Distinguished Member

I remeber thier being this arguement put forward by rach that WAYWT was dieing and the Forum was becoming far too single minded in it's view of what is and isn't 'a good look'

I think that has changed. Certainly, a thorough acceptance of the low, middle and high brands is found.

I enjoy the Avant Garde as much as W+H, R&B and NdG, and can see myself integraing pieces in the near future.

In a year, if I bought three or four Julius t's, a leather, a pair of slim denim and some expensive good kicks, I'd be rather happy.

13. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Distinguished Member

Julius is a really great brand (and my personal favorite).

There are certainly more inventive and important designers (after all Julius really couldn't exist without Rick Owens opening up this territory) but when it comes to clothing I actually want to buy and wear Julius is at the top of my list. The runway styling is obviously exxagarated and it's how Tatsuro Horikawa incorporates these notions in to basics like leather jackets, belts and jeans that makes the brand so exciting.

Yes, the North American retail is absurd, but I'm the first to admit that I enjoy the exclusivity and I even get a kick out of the bargain-hunting necessary for someone with my meager income to afford these pieces.

14. Nananine

Nananine Senior Member

None of Julius' stuff fits into my aesthetic at all, but I find it all fascinating. Plus I've wanted that small sheepskin bag from Blackbird for a long time, even if it doesn't come close to my style nor my price point.

Probably predisposition would be a better way of ...

[​IMG]

15. Fuuma

Julius is a really great brand (and my personal favorite).

There are certainly more inventive and important designers (after all Julius really couldn't exist without Rick Owens opening up this territory) but when it comes to clothing I actually want to buy and wear Julius is at the top of my list. The runway styling is obviously exxagarated and it's how Tatsuro Horikawa incorporates these notions in to basics like leather jackets, belts and jeans that makes the brand so exciting.

Yes, the North American retail is absurd, but I'm the first to admit that I enjoy the exclusivity and I even get a kick out of the bargain-hunting necessary for someone with my meager income to afford these pieces.

Julius is older than RO, at least as far as being discovered by a large public (in this case Japan) is concerned.