• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have to wear a suit to a wedding?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a well fitting blue blazer (meaning take it to the tailor to get the sleeves altered to the correct length etc).

Wear khakis (hopefully very light colored and well fitting) if it's a daytime/outdoor wedding.

If not then your regular good dress pants with everything else sounds fine.

Don't worry about your looks too much. Enjoy yourself at the wedding. Bag a bridesmaid.

bslo

Reaction score
I don't understand how the OP's question can be answered without knowing more about the wedding. It this a wedding in a rural area of the country that will be hosted by a family of modest means? If so, spending money on a jacket might be a waste, unless you would use the jacket on other occasions. On the other hand, perhaps the wedding party is upper-middle class (or higher) and the reception will be at a country club (or some similar venue). In that situation, a suit may really be your only option.

axe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bslo
I don't understand how the OP's question can be answered without knowing more about the wedding.
Welcome to the Internet. The MO here is to answer with utter certitude a question you know nothing about.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie
Can't you call the host/hostess/groom and ask them what's the expected dress code? That would definitely help clarify stuff. If they say they expect most men to turn up in suits, then I second the suggestion to get a navy blue suit.

Yes. This is the great equalizer. At the beginning of August I'm attending a wedding of a close law school friend of mine. The wedding is outside at the beach. Her invitation didn't specify a dress code, and knowing it was on the beach, I asked her the other day what she'd like to see people wearing. She told me she'd like it to be a little more casual than a typical wedding... her soon-to-be husband's groomsmen are wearing linen (I live in the South and it will be HOT and humid), and some male attendees probably won't be wearing ties (I won't go that informal though). I'll probably wear white linen pants, a navy blazer, and a light blue shirt. Not sure about type of tie yet. If I hadn't asked her, I probably would have shown up wearing a what most people think of when they have to dress for a wedding.

Ask someone in the know.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by axe
Welcome to the Internet. The MO here is to answer with utter certitude a question you know nothing about.

Indeed.

I was actually going to open my post with a question regarding the area, weather, time of day, formality etc of the wedding but then I just decided to reply with a broad answer...

I think it's more to give the OP ideas and he can see where he wants to run with it than strictly forcing advice down his throat.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan9
Bend over, here it comes.
Too bad there's not an emoticon for this. Go buy the suit. You'll probably have another wedding in the next year or two, so buy it now and get it over with. You've also just publicly stated how much you love your current job so it is more than likely your company will soon go under and you'll need a suit for interviews.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consider leaving the black shoes at home. Go with brown with khaki trousers.

Edward

Reaction score
I live in an area where only a few male guests, and mostly the older ones at that, wear jackets and ties to weddings and especially not in the summer. My son-in-law wore just shirt, pants, and a vest to his wedding - although his father and I both wore suits and ties. Just out of curiosity, if the bride and groom (or their parents?) want most men to show up in jackets and ties to their wedding, is there any way they could indicate it on the wedding invitations? Or is it just not done?

TexasLidig8r

Reaction score
Could be worse sport...

I have to attend a wedding this Saturday...

In a small town just south of Dallas... held, along with the reception.... outside.. starting at 6:00 p.m.

Mid July in this part of Texas... it will be about 100 degrees.. at least.

From what I understand... Groomsmen will be in khakis and... cowboy boots

Bridesmaids will be .. in cowboy boots...

For those that don't die of dehydration or heat exhaustion, they will be serving up... bar-b-q at the reception.

(and yes.. I have to go.. it's a relative of my fiance)

What the hell does one wear to that??????

Answer... a taupe/ivory Pal Zaleri linen suit... Mezlan Platinum spectators... light brown linen shirt...

I told the fiance we will be drinking martinis in a bar somewhere in Dallas by 8.

mrdlore

Reaction score
The wedding is at a country club, and I'm figuring it'll probably be your standard formal affair.

I think I might try to get the suit, and if it needs tailoring, I'll get it done afterwards. I know that i'd feel really uncomfortable without the suit. Plus, I need a suit anyway.

We'll see what I can round up in the next two days..haha...nothing like waiting til the last minute.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time to kop a navy suit ;
if you can afford a suit right now, this is a perfect time to invest.

brittain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrdlore
The wedding is at a country club, and I'm figuring it'll probably be your standard formal affair.

I think I might try to get the suit, and if it needs tailoring, I'll get it done afterwards. I know that i'd feel really uncomfortable without the suit. Plus, I need a suit anyway.

We'll see what I can round up in the next two days..haha...nothing like waiting til the last minute.

then on second thought, might as well go get a suit. Definitely do NOT go try to find matching black slacks and black blazer, nothing is worse than an ad hoc suit.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TexasLidig8r
Could be worse sport...

I have to attend a wedding this Saturday...

In a small town just south of Dallas... held, along with the reception.... outside.. starting at 6:00 p.m.

Mid July in this part of Texas... it will be about 100 degrees.. at least.

From what I understand... Groomsmen will be in khakis and... cowboy boots

Bridesmaids will be .. in cowboy boots...

For those that don't die of dehydration or heat exhaustion, they will be serving up... bar-b-q at the reception.

(and yes.. I have to go.. it's a relative of my fiance)

What the hell does one wear to that??????

Answer... a taupe/ivory Pal Zaleri linen suit... Mezlan Platinum spectators... light brown linen shirt...

I told the fiance we will be drinking martinis in a bar somewhere in Dallas by 8.

For God's sake... that's pretty bad. The one I'm going to is at the beach in Charleston, so it will be pretty hot too. I don't envy that kitschy cowboy dress code at all. I think the martinis is a good idea... what will the drinks be at the reception--Budweiser and PBR?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads