1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have to wear a suit to a wedding?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mrdlore, Jul 7, 2009.

1. ZON_JR

ZON_JR Senior member

Bend over, here it comes.
    Too bad there's not an emoticon for this. Go buy the suit. You'll probably have another wedding in the next year or two, so buy it now and get it over with. You've also just publicly stated how much you love your current job so it is more than likely your company will soon go under and you'll need a suit for interviews.

2. Chips

Chips Senior member

Consider leaving the black shoes at home. Go with brown with khaki trousers.

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

No one will say anything, but you will look like someone with no class.

definitely

4. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

I live in an area where only a few male guests, and mostly the older ones at that, wear jackets and ties to weddings and especially not in the summer. My son-in-law wore just shirt, pants, and a vest to his wedding - although his father and I both wore suits and ties. Just out of curiosity, if the bride and groom (or their parents?) want most men to show up in jackets and ties to their wedding, is there any way they could indicate it on the wedding invitations? Or is it just not done?

5. TexasLidig8r

TexasLidig8r Senior member

Could be worse sport...

I have to attend a wedding this Saturday...

In a small town just south of Dallas... held, along with the reception.... outside.. starting at 6:00 p.m.

Mid July in this part of Texas... it will be about 100 degrees.. at least.

From what I understand... Groomsmen will be in khakis and... cowboy boots

Bridesmaids will be .. in cowboy boots...

For those that don't die of dehydration or heat exhaustion, they will be serving up... bar-b-q at the reception.

(and yes.. I have to go.. it's a relative of my fiance)

What the hell does one wear to that??????

Answer... a taupe/ivory Pal Zaleri linen suit... Mezlan Platinum spectators... light brown linen shirt...

I told the fiance we will be drinking martinis in a bar somewhere in Dallas by 8.

6. mrdlore

mrdlore Member

The wedding is at a country club, and I'm figuring it'll probably be your standard formal affair.

I think I might try to get the suit, and if it needs tailoring, I'll get it done afterwards. I know that i'd feel really uncomfortable without the suit. Plus, I need a suit anyway.

We'll see what I can round up in the next two days..haha...nothing like waiting til the last minute.

7. mrdlore

mrdlore Member

Oh yea, the wedding is at 4pm on Saturday, in Chicago.

8. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Time to kop a navy suit ;
    if you can afford a suit right now, this is a perfect time to invest.

9. brittain

brittain Senior member

The wedding is at a country club, and I'm figuring it'll probably be your standard formal affair.

I think I might try to get the suit, and if it needs tailoring, I'll get it done afterwards. I know that i'd feel really uncomfortable without the suit. Plus, I need a suit anyway.

We'll see what I can round up in the next two days..haha...nothing like waiting til the last minute.

then on second thought, might as well go get a suit. Definitely do NOT go try to find matching black slacks and black blazer, nothing is worse than an ad hoc suit.

10. NakedYoga

NakedYoga Senior member

Could be worse sport...

I have to attend a wedding this Saturday...

In a small town just south of Dallas... held, along with the reception.... outside.. starting at 6:00 p.m.

Mid July in this part of Texas... it will be about 100 degrees.. at least.

From what I understand... Groomsmen will be in khakis and... cowboy boots

Bridesmaids will be .. in cowboy boots...

For those that don't die of dehydration or heat exhaustion, they will be serving up... bar-b-q at the reception.

(and yes.. I have to go.. it's a relative of my fiance)

What the hell does one wear to that??????

Answer... a taupe/ivory Pal Zaleri linen suit... Mezlan Platinum spectators... light brown linen shirt...

I told the fiance we will be drinking martinis in a bar somewhere in Dallas by 8.

For God's sake... that's pretty bad. The one I'm going to is at the beach in Charleston, so it will be pretty hot too. I don't envy that kitschy cowboy dress code at all. I think the martinis is a good idea... what will the drinks be at the reception--Budweiser and PBR?

11. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

a lesson to all PLAN AHEAD !!!!

12. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

I do, but that's just me. Seriuosly though I always say wear the suit, you can always dress it down if need be but if you go without a suit and find that you should have your sol.

13. AscotMcPocketsquare

AscotMcPocketsquare Senior member

depends on the wedding. I have been to weddings where everyone is in black tie and others where people attend in shorts.

14. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

You're going to wear an ivory suit to a BBQ. Wow. You must really hate this suit.

15. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Bunch of my work mates from Toronto took suits down to a 35c Kansas wedding and found out the groom wore a sportcoat with odd trousers and a badly tied FIH knot. The rest of the people wore whatever which ranged from jeans to a guy in shorts.

If you're going to that wedding, it's OK [​IMG]

I have been to a few of those... [​IMG]

A navy blue blazer would be a great investment. You will never look overdressed or underdressed in one.

16. raczyk

raczyk New Member

I also have a wedding to go to, and have no suit. The wedding reception will be taking place in a week, June 2, 2012. The reception will be outdoors in I assume a tented area. Would the look below be suitable to wear to a wedding?

[​IMG]

17. GBR

GBR Senior member

It is preferable but I doubt you will be thrown out if you do not. People may talk but these days I doubt even that.

18. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Was at a funeral last year at Arlington National Cemetery. A guy showed up in white pants, sneakers and a hawaiian shirt. Looked like an imbecile and everyone knew it. All other people like me in suits, dark clothing, and him.

My point being just conform and wear the suit. Little kids are the only ones that generally get a pass.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  19. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I suspect, so attired, you would be better turned out than many of the guests at weddings I have attended.

Let us bear in mind that a vast segment of the population does not know the distinction between an odd jacket, when worn with a tie, and a proper suit.

20. LeJouvre

LeJouvre Senior member

Florida, USA ; New zealand; Hong Kong; Singapore
    I agree,

and as Ian Flemming once noted, when he attended a function which he mistook to have required formal dress, he was approached by the host who remarked "Sir, aren't you a little overdressed?", to which he responded "if the standard of my attire is an expression of my respects to my hosts, well then by whose standards would I be considered overdressed Madam?"