• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, no! Mistaken for a security guard!

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a half Japanese, I have too been mistaken for a Mexican, especially with the scar through my eyebrow, where no hair grows.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am frequently confused for store help, though never for a security guard. It is a combination of being better dressed than the general public and being generally polite, friendly, and approachable. Just looking people in the eye and smiling is, I suppose, so rare that people assume you must be there to help.

sanrensho

Reaction score
I used to live in LA, and when wearing a white shirt and slacks I got mistaken for the copier repair guy a couple times. Being Asian didn't help either...but of course, now that I live in Japan, it never happens.

And one drawback of living in Japan is that I can't tell the copier repair man from the regular sarariman.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton is obviously right, but if you hadn't been wearing those trousers it would probably have been the case that that guy was being an ass. At least he didn't demand that you take him upstairs.

LaoHu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tommy Trolley
.....but if you are like me and have a much more approachable demeanor and stance as a person, that's more likely the reason.

By approachable, I mean you are engaged in your surroundings, notice things, observe and and are otherwise not totally wrapped up in your own little world as most people seem to be. That's how I am, I don't miss a thing because I pay attention and this I believe is what people pick up on. Also if you are a good soul who is willing to be a helpful member of society that radiates to people and you are naturally the one to go to for assistance.

It's more who you are than what you wear, which is a pretty decent motto to live by.

My experience also. There have been numerous times when I've had to explain to people that "I'm sorry, I don't work here, but you might find what your looking for..." When one looks approachable and competent and perhaps, in addition, that one is "in charge" through some combination of appearance and demeanor, people respond instinctively. I don't believe they consciously try to guess your job title.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, that's it. Better dress like Fuuma so you never get mistaken for a security guard again.

P.S.

I get mistaken for a salesperson at J. Crew a lot. It's very irritating.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jlib, you strike me as a very gracious person.

I am large and mean looking. People do not approach me.
frown.gif

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in Filene's once and a guy asked me "Could you show me where your suspenders are?" so I pulled my jacket open and showed him. Kind of sh**ty I know, but I couldn't help myself.
devil.gif

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
I was in Filene's once and a guy asked me "Could you show me where your suspenders are?" so I pulled my jacket open and showed him. Kind of sh**ty I know, but I couldn't help myself.
devil.gif

Good thing he didn't ask about underwear
wow.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hey, people are nuts. I was with my family in a lands end store a while back, wearing a three peice bespoke suits, bespoke contrast collar shirt, bespoke tie, bespoke cordovan ankle boots and a woman started asking me to help her find some shoes, because she thought that I worked there.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
As a half Japanese, I have too been mistaken for a Mexican, especially with the scar through my eyebrow, where no hair grows.

I have a scar through my eyebrow, too, but people never mistake me for a Mexican-I'm too tall.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
devil.gif

Classic. I wish I would have an opportunity to do something like that.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol

This happens to my brother (also a halfy) all the time too. In airports people will often speak spanish to him. Of course he is sometimes mistaken for a homeless person as well.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I regularly get mistaken for a shop assistant of a lunch time, particularly if I don't take of the horrible lanyard and badge I have to wear at work.

+1.

it doesnt help that i sometimes wear my phone cable down my ear and into my pocket. i hate bluetooth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads