• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, no! Mistaken for a security guard!

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The question comes up sometimes in forumland whether wearing the classic navy blazer, gray slacks and repp tie will cause you to be confused for a security guard. Well, it happened to me this evening as I was leaving work...and I wasn't even wearing a navy blazer! I was wearing my controversial green blazer from W.W. Chan. With it I was wearing gray nailhead wool slacks, a tattersal BD shirt, a brown Charvet tie with narrow red stripes, puffed brown silk square with tan border and pinpoint dots and my brogue suede A-E Hancocks. In all, it didn't strike me as all that security-guardish an ensemble.

Anyway, as I was leaving the building, I was accosted by a young man in gray slacks, rumpled white shirt and a necktie, who asked me, "Do you work here?" "Well, yes," I replied, "How may I assist you?" I think when I faced him full on he realized I was not a security guard and stammered out an apology that he needed access to the upper floors (limited after 6:00 p.m.) and had mistaken me for a guard. I directed him to a proper guard--a petite and pretty lass who looks like an East Indian (but might be a Mexican). If the guards wore green blazers, I could understand his mistake, but they wear all-blue uniforms. It did occur to me afterward that maybe the guy was color-blind.

Anyway, I departed half-mortified, half-amused.

Any thoughts, comments, mockery, ridicule, whatever from fellow forumites would be welcome.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I once wore a suit to an evening play with my wife and an acquaintance of mine who was wearing polo and jeans asked if I was ushering. I just curtly replied no, but looking back I should have said yes and led him to somebody else's seat.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
The question comes up sometimes in forumland whether wearing the classic navy blazer, gray slacks and repp tie will cause you to be confused for a security guard. Well, it happened to me this evening as I was leaving work...and I wasn't even wearing a navy blazer! I was wearing my controversial green blazer from W.W. Chan. With it I was wearing gray nailhead wool slacks, a tattersal BD shirt, a brown Charvet tie with narrow red stripes, puffed brown silk square with tan border and pinpoint dots and my brogue suede A-E Hancocks. In all, it didn't strike me as all that security-guardish an ensemble.

Anyway, as I was leaving the building, I was accosted by a young man in gray slacks, rumpled white shirt and a necktie, who asked me, "Do you work here?" "Well, yes," I replied, "How may I assist you?" I think when I faced him full on he realized I was not a security guard and stammered out an apology that he needed access to the upper floors (limited after 6:00 p.m.) and had mistaken me for a guard. I directed him to a proper guard--a petite and pretty lass who looks like an East Indian (but might be a Mexican). If the guards wore green blazers, I could understand his mistake, but they wear all-blue uniforms. It did occur to me afterward that maybe the guy was color-blind.

Anyway, I departed half-mortified, half-amused.

Any thoughts, comments, mockery, ridicule, whatever from fellow forumites would be welcome.

Were you packing?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I didn't think those green jackets traveled outside of Augusta National unless it was with the reigning champion.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hole in one off the tee every time.

Of course, once you get the timing down, putting it through the windmill and chomping alligators is pretty easy...

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bought a green hopsack blazer at a garage sale recently. I'm not sure what possessed me to do it, but it was only $10 and it fits me perfectly. Kind of a washed out grass green, too - not that bright emerald Masters tone.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jlibourel , it is quite common nowadays with the more casual office etiquette...
Wearing a jacket is seen as being part of some kind of work requirement or uniform...
If you wear a navy suit with a white shirt ,people will come up asking some kind of questions...
One saturday in Canterbury , a woman asked me where the toilets were...I couldn't be bothered explainig I wasn't working there....I told her they were on the top floor..

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been mistaken for an employee in a men's warehouse. That's what you get for being the only person in the store sporting a pocket square. I wonder if they bought the shirt and tie I suggested.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
PICS OR
n143225.jpg

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I regularly get mistaken for a shop assistant of a lunch time, particularly if I don't take of the horrible lanyard and badge I have to wear at work.

blackbowtie

Reaction score

My first reaction was that line, "How may I assist you?", may have been the trigger. It does sound like something that shop assistants or security guards would say. There is something servile about "How may I assist you?" that may lead others to conclude that one belongs "to the lower orders", for lack of a better expression.

But then again, maybe I think this way due to my own excessive snobbery and lack of fine manners.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It was the nailhead pants. The guy obviously knew that was a suiting, and thought that someone not wearing a proper odd trouser must be a prole.

Tommy Trolley

Reaction score
Since I've started dressing better on all occasions (thanks to this forum) It's happened to me more frequently, but even before that, it would happen time to time. Certainly your outfit was what the rumpled shirt guy noticed, but if you are like me and have a much more approachable demeanor and stance as a person, that's more likely the reason.

By approachable, I mean you are engaged in your surroundings, notice things, observe and and are otherwise not totally wrapped up in your own little world as most people seem to be. That's how I am, I don't miss a thing because I pay attention and this I believe is what people pick up on. Also if you are a good soul who is willing to be a helpful member of society that radiates to people and you are naturally the one to go to for assistance.

What you wear may just confirm that in some folks minds, but I've been in department stores men's sections wearing shorts and sandals and a casual untucked short sleeve, with a shopping bag, and still had people come up to me and ask questions.

It's more who you are than what you wear, which is a pretty decent motto to live by.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads