Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Oh, no! Mistaken for a security guard!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JLibourel, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Whenever people ask me for help and directions and then realize their mistake, I let them have it with the Vader force choke ad then say "Apology Accepted".

2. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

As a half Japanese, I have too been mistaken for a Mexican, especially with the scar through my eyebrow, where no hair grows.

3. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

I am frequently confused for store help, though never for a security guard. It is a combination of being better dressed than the general public and being generally polite, friendly, and approachable. Just looking people in the eye and smiling is, I suppose, so rare that people assume you must be there to help.

4. sanrensho

sanrensho Senior member

I used to live in LA, and when wearing a white shirt and slacks I got mistaken for the copier repair guy a couple times. Being Asian didn't help either...but of course, now that I live in Japan, it never happens.

And one drawback of living in Japan is that I can't tell the copier repair man from the regular sarariman.

5. ohm

ohm Senior member

Manton is obviously right, but if you hadn't been wearing those trousers it would probably have been the case that that guy was being an ass. At least he didn't demand that you take him upstairs.

6. LaoHu

LaoHu Senior member

.....but if you are like me and have a much more approachable demeanor and stance as a person, that's more likely the reason.

By approachable, I mean you are engaged in your surroundings, notice things, observe and and are otherwise not totally wrapped up in your own little world as most people seem to be. That's how I am, I don't miss a thing because I pay attention and this I believe is what people pick up on. Also if you are a good soul who is willing to be a helpful member of society that radiates to people and you are naturally the one to go to for assistance.

It's more who you are than what you wear, which is a pretty decent motto to live by.

My experience also. There have been numerous times when I've had to explain to people that "I'm sorry, I don't work here, but you might find what your looking for..." When one looks approachable and competent and perhaps, in addition, that one is "in charge" through some combination of appearance and demeanor, people respond instinctively. I don't believe they consciously try to guess your job title.

7. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

Well, that's it. Better dress like Fuuma so you never get mistaken for a security guard again.

P.S.

I get mistaken for a salesperson at J. Crew a lot. It's very irritating.

8. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Jlib, you strike me as a very gracious person.

I am large and mean looking. People do not approach me. [​IMG]

9. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I was in Filene's once and a guy asked me "Could you show me where your suspenders are?" so I pulled my jacket open and showed him. Kind of sh**ty I know, but I couldn't help myself. [​IMG]

10. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

I was in Filene's once and a guy asked me "Could you show me where your suspenders are?" so I pulled my jacket open and showed him. Kind of sh**ty I know, but I couldn't help myself. [​IMG]

Good thing he didn't ask about underwear [​IMG]

11. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

hey, people are nuts. I was with my family in a lands end store a while back, wearing a three peice bespoke suits, bespoke contrast collar shirt, bespoke tie, bespoke cordovan ankle boots and a woman started asking me to help her find some shoes, because she thought that I worked there.

12. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

As a half Japanese, I have too been mistaken for a Mexican, especially with the scar through my eyebrow, where no hair grows.

I have a scar through my eyebrow, too, but people never mistake me for a Mexican-I'm too tall.

13. blackbowtie

blackbowtie Senior member

Classic. I wish I would have an opportunity to do something like that.

14. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

This happens to my brother (also a halfy) all the time too. In airports people will often speak spanish to him. Of course he is sometimes mistaken for a homeless person as well.

15. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

I regularly get mistaken for a shop assistant of a lunch time, particularly if I don't take of the horrible lanyard and badge I have to wear at work.

+1.

it doesnt help that i sometimes wear my phone cable down my ear and into my pocket. i hate bluetooth.