• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slam Magazine's 50 Best NBA Players

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Wilt was, by far, the most dominant player ever. If he played now, he wouldn't be as dominant, but he would still be the best player in the league. He would be better than Shaq was in his prime.

He was Shaq's size, but much, much more athletic (was on his college track team). Like Shaq, there were few players as big as him - Gilmore, Russell, Reed were all big, but not as big.

His conditioning was amazing, especially considering that this was in the era before personal trainers, team dieticians, etc. His second year in the league he averaged over 48 minutes per game, (and averaged over 50 pts, 25 rebounds per game).

He's the only center to ever lead the league in assists.

He transformed the game of basketball.

I might have to disagree with that a bit. He did change the game and probably the pioneer of the game today but back then, he just outmatched everyone. I do not see him dropping a 100 point game today, especially with the Zone Defense. He has more ability than Shaq but I think Shaq (in his prime) would punish Wilt in the paint. It would be a great match up to see but NBA players today are more athletic than being fundamentally sound and that plays a role, especially in the defensive end. I can' see him playing 48 minutes of offense and defense against Shaq or Dwight. No doubt he was a great player, but in his prime, I do not think he would dominate or even be the best player in the league today with Lebron, Kobe, CP3, Garnett, Howard, etc...

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
if michael jordan had spent his career with the clippers, he'd have zero titles, but he would have been the same player.
eh.gif

Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Michael Jordan was the kind of player that would have won a title even on a ****** team. He just was.
Exactly. The Bulls weren't some dominant team before Jordan came to them. My friends & I would stand outside Chicago Stadium as kids and try to score tickets to go in. Usually, we'd get a ticket free. They were giving them away, literally. We could end up sitting 10 rows from the court just to show you how empty the Stadium was unless the Lakers, Celtics, or Sixers came to town. Sure, we had fun cheering on Orlando Woolridge, Dave Corzine, and the boys but really at that time the Bulls WERE the L.A. Clippers...actually had a worse record that the Clippers. I mean you don't get the third pick in the draft because you're a playoff team. Then MJ came to town and everything changed. He made the players around him better, as he would have on the Clippers or any other team. As much as I loved Scottie Pippen, on another team, I don't think Pippen would have developed into the player he did. To this day in Chicago, we still thank Portland for picking Sam Bowie over MJ in the draft.

Originally Posted by thekunk07
sorry, you misunderstood, i said sport.
LoL
Originally Posted by RFX45
First of all, it is SLAM Magazine, enough said.
Truth.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
great point about gretzky. my over site.

Originally Posted by JD_May
I think Gretzky is at least as far above the field... Bobby Orr is a consensus #2 for hockey, and I don't think many would make a case that he should be #1. Mario Lemieux, if not for illness, might have had a chance. But top 10 NHL career point totals look like this.

Gretzky - 2857
Messier - 1887
Howe - 1850
Francis - 1798
Dionne - 1771
Yzerman - 1755
Lemieux - 1723
Sakic - 1641
Jagr - 1599
Esposito - 1590

It's not even close.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Rick Barry at 21??!?!!?!

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^was a real asshole but a great player.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Kwiteboy is hilarious. I would call him ignorant, but remember that his generation has had self-esteem drilled into their heads relentlessly. Results are unimportant, only potential. So, yeah. LBJ is the greatest from that perspective.

Wilt was, by far, the most dominant player ever. If he played now, he wouldn't be as dominant, but he would still be the best player in the league. He would be better than Shaq was in his prime.

He was Shaq's size, but much, much more athletic (was on his college track team). Like Shaq, there were few players as big as him - Gilmore, Russell, Reed were all big, but not as big.

His conditioning was amazing, especially considering that this was in the era before personal trainers, team dieticians, etc. His second year in the league he averaged over 48 minutes per game, (and averaged over 50 pts, 25 rebounds per game).

He's the only center to ever lead the league in assists.

He transformed the game of basketball.

I think people forget that the object of the game is to win, not to compile gaudy statistics. Wilt is an all time great for sure, but he still only managed to win two titles despite playing in a league in which he physically outmatched his opponents to a greater degree than perhaps any player in the history of the league. I'm not old enough to have seen him play, but I have to assume from his record that he was less of a player than Russell, Kareem or Shaq.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i've watched enough tape to know this wasn't the case. wilt became an epic passer late in his career.

his ***** numbers alone count for something.

Originally Posted by Baron
I think people forget that the object of the game is to win, not to compile gaudy statistics. Wilt is an all time great for sure, but he still only managed to win two titles despite playing in a league in which he physically outmatched his opponents to a greater degree than perhaps any player in the history of the league. I'm not old enough to have seen him play, but I have to assume from his record that he was less of a player than Russell, Kareem or Shaq.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Best in their sport by the largest margin.
2. Ali There is no consensus that Ali was the best ever. None. Not the best fighter, not the best heavyweight, let alone "largest margin."

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1. if i never hear another word about his greatness in all endeavors, it will be too soon.

Originally Posted by Baron
2. Ali

There is no consensus that Ali was the best ever. None. Not the best fighter, not the best heavyweight, let alone "largest margin."

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Who was better? Joe Louis or Tyson. Those are the only two I could honestly say were close.

Here's one pretty methodical breakdown. http://coxscorner.tripod.com/boxchart1.html If you read it you'll see that Ali is tied for first among heavyweights with Louis. My point isn't that Ali sucked, it's that there's no consensus that he's the best heavyweight ever by a large margin. He's in the conversation.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwiteaboy
Did I say potential? I said ability. Using PER, the most comprehensive metric of an individual player's team-independent value, LeBron's 2008-09 season was the best non-MJ individual season since the NBA started tracking individual turnovers in 1977. As the 2008-09 season is now over, I think we can start calling it a result, as results are things that have already happened, not things that have the potential to happen, but double-check that definition for me, as I'm ignorant.

Do you see how you prove my point here? He had one great season.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics