Slam Magazine's 50 Best NBA Players

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jpeirpont, Jun 24, 2009.

1. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

http://www.slamonline.com/online/the...he-new-top-50/

Here is Slam magazine's NBA Top 50 of all time:

1. Michael Jordan
    2. Wilt Chamberlain
    3. Bill Russell
    4. Shaquille O'neal
    5. Oscar Robertson
    6. Magic Johnson
    7. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    8. Tim Duncan
    9. Larry Bird
    10. Jerry West
    11. Elgin Baylor
    12. Kobe Bryant
    13. Hakeem Olajuwon
    14. Bob Pettit
    15. Julius Erving
    16. Moses Malone
    17. John Havlicek
    18. Karl Malone
    19. Isiah Thomas
    20. Charles Barkley
    21. Rick Barry
    22. John Stockton
    23. Elvin Hayes
    24. Bob Cousy
    25. David Robinson
    26. Kevin McHale
    27. Scottie Pippen
    28. Jason Kidd
    29. George Mikan
    30. Kevin Garnett
    31. Willis Reed
    32. Wes Unseld
    33. Nate Thurmond
    34. Dolph Schayes
    35. Walt Frazier
    36. Patrick Ewing
    37. Jerry Lucas
    38. Gary Payton
    39. Allen Iverson
    40. Billy Cunningham
    41. Clyde Drexler
    42. LeBron James
    43. Dominique Wilkins
    44. Dave Cowens
    45. George Gervin
    46. Bob McAdoo
    47. Earl Monroe
    48. Dennis Rodman
    49. Walt Bellamy
    50. Steve Nash

2. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

Nash? How.

3. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

5 lakers in the top 10. 7 lakers in the top 12.

4. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I've seen everyone of them play live except Dolph Schayes!

As a kid, I remember watching NBA doubleheaders in the uptown Madison Square Garden.

Those were the days. Since I was a kid, I don't remember if they sold out the doubleheaders. The league was very different then.

5. kwiteaboy

kwiteaboy Senior member

LeBron should be a lot higher than 42.

6. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

I hate these questions cause there is NO WAY to compare these guys.

Check it, Bob Pettit was 6'9 and 215 and dominated the league...in 1954! Playing against 8 teams of wimpy ass white dudes. His 20k points is inflated by playing in a rag tag startup league. He wouldnt be shit today or even in the 80's or 70's.

Lots of legends on that list but someone please make a real list. Todays game; players in their prime. Jordan would still be 1, then ??? Kobe, LBJ, Magic, Wilt? Dudes like George Mikan and Dolph Schayes wouldnt even play. Fuck it, I digress

7. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

where's Reggie Miller? and Bird's just #9?

8. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

Nash? How.

I've got more of an issue with Kidd at 28. At least Nash can shoot. Actually, I love Nash and how he runs an offense so I have no qualms with him being there. The MVP awards speak for itself too. Kobe will be top 10 in a year or two as well. Granted, ranking the best players regardless of position is subjective at best anyways.

9. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I've got more of an issue with Kidd at 28. At least Nash can shoot. Actually, I love Nash and how he runs an offense so I have no qualms with him being there. The MVP awards speak for itself too. Kobe will be top 10 in a year or two as well. Granted, ranking the best players regardless of position is subjective at best anyways.

The team Nash left improved and went on the finals the next season. Somewhere Nash has never been. Did you read the reasoning for Kidd's addition? Seems bullet proof to me.

10. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Kareem should be above Oscar and Shaq. I think he gets downgraded in peoples minds because he played so long and he gets remembered for the bald golem he was at the end. He was an absolute force in his prime and was a perhaps the 2nd most dominant winner from high school to the pros after Bill Russell.

11. Sesame Seed

Sesame Seed Senior member

I've got more of an issue with Kidd at 28. At least Nash can shoot. Actually, I love Nash and how he runs an offense so I have no qualms with him being there. The MVP awards speak for itself too...

What the? Kidd had arguably the best court vision since MJ. At his best, he was a far superior PG to Nash. The man can't even run a half court set FFS and has never had a clue on D.

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Kareem should be above Oscar and Shaq. I think he gets downgraded in peoples minds because he played so long and he gets remembered for the bald golem he was at the end. He was an absolute force in his prime and was a perhaps the 2nd most dominant winner from high school to the pros after Bill Russell.

YES!

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

where's Reggie Miller? and Bird's just #9?
    Miller's not worthy of the top 50. Top 50 all time clutch shooters? Definitely. He was a defensive liability even during his prime.
    Kidd is 28th best person to have played in the NBA? Say that out loud and you'll realize how rediculous it sounds.
    Absolutely. The Dream was dominant.
    YES!
    ^See Some other adjustments: Dropping - Robinson, Ewing, Iverson, Garnett, and McHale Rising - Pippen, Reed, Payton, Wilkins, and Gervin

14. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bill Simmons I think does a top 100 all time list in his NBA book that's coming out later in the year. I'm curious to see his rankings.

15. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

Where's Bob Lanier? Walt Bellamy rates him? Barkley should be higher as well. Malone was a finisher off of passes from Nash similar to Worthy and Magic. Those forwards couldn't create squat. McHale and Charles were much better screw the points. Wish Doc was higher but I understand. I have lists from the 70's up to present and it's funny how Doc surpassed Elgin for years and now he is back under him. I heard Petit was a horse. Where's Bernard King and DT.