1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Slam Magazine's 50 Best NBA Players

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jpeirpont, Jun 24, 2009.

1. kwiteaboy

kwiteaboy Well-Known Member

For doing what, exactly?

Is it a ranking of accomplishments or ability? By measures of individual ability/contribution (i.e., PER), LeBron's 2008-09 was better than anyone in NBA history not named Michael Jordan. I know it's not a ranking of top seasons, but if it's a ranking based at all on ability, LBJ should be top 10 at least.

2. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

I hate these questions cause there is NO WAY to compare these guys.

Check it, Bob Pettit was 6'9 and 215 and dominated the league...in 1954! Playing against 8 teams of wimpy ass white dudes. His 20k points is inflated by playing in a rag tag startup league. He wouldnt be shit today or even in the 80's or 70's.

Lots of legends on that list but someone please make a real list. Todays game; players in their prime. Jordan would still be 1, then ??? Kobe, LBJ, Magic, Wilt? Dudes like George Mikan and Dolph Schayes wouldnt even play. Fuck it, I digress

Fuck it is right. Pettit also played in a time when much of modern basketball techniques/skills had yet to be invented. It's different down to the rules of game and equipment(he was playing on Chucks/PF Flyers, no?). Without Pettit and the like, there'd be no MJ, Kobe, or LeBron.

Is it a ranking of accomplishments or ability? By measures of individual ability/contribution (i.e., PER), LeBron's 2008-09 was better than anyone in NBA history not named Michael Jordan. I know it's not a ranking of top seasons, but if it's a ranking based at all on ability, LBJ should be top 10 at least.

Get back to us when LeBron has led his team to a NBA title.

3. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

i'll go:

1. mj
    2. wilt
    3. magic
    4. bird
    5. kareem
    6. lbj
    7. russell
    8. oscar
    9. duncan
    10. stockton

4. whacked

i'll go:

1. mj
    2. wilt
    3. magic
    4. bird
    5. kareem
    6. lbj
    7. russell
    8. oscar
    9. duncan
    10. stockton

lol

5. thekunk07

what's so funny fucknuts?[​IMG]

6. kwiteaboy

Get back to us when LeBron has led his team to a NBA title.

The guy averaged 35/9/7 in the playoffs. What more could he do? Will you give him personal credit if the Cavs get him some quality supporting players and he wins a title then? Or does he have to lead four lumps of shit to a title to get credit?

7. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

kobe bryant should definitely be higher. perhaps 1 or 2

8. thekunk07

9. thekunk07

i think more than any other sport, mj is the most clearly defined #1. list should go from 1 to 3

10. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

i think more than any other sport, mj is the most clearly defined #1. list should go from 1 to 3

Thaat far above Wilt? I think you could make an argument.

11. whacked

what's so funny fucknuts?[​IMG]

Having recently talked to various NYers about LeBron, I'm convinced y'all are out licking his nuts secretly in hope that "King" James would go to the Knicks in a few years.

I love Magic, but he'd be vulnerable to the same criticism rained upon Nash: no D. Stockton is rated too high, same w/ Duncan, albeit the latter only slightly. Boring is in I guess.

12. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

^kidding?

i think these kinds of lists are unfair when you are comparing people who finished their careers with players who are still developing their careers.
    in a few years who knows lebron will be in the top 10. we got to see them as a consummate whole and imo i think kobe should be 1 or 2 after his career is done with.

13. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

kobe bryant should definitely be higher. perhaps 1 or 2
    Srsly? Higher than Wilt, Jordan, Chamberlain, Magic, and Oscar? That's a bit too much Laker love.

14. thekunk07

i think wilt redefined his position helped redefine the league IMO

Thaat far above Wilt? I think you could make an argument.

15. whacked

The guy averaged 35/9/7 in the playoffs. What more could he do? Will you give him personal credit if the Cavs get him some quality supporting players and he wins a title then? Or does he have to lead four lumps of shit to a title to get credit?

A dozen of players put up dashing stats every year on bad teams too, all but a handful who later join winning systems where they put up less eyepopping numbers become forgotten. What's your point again?

16. thekunk07

i'm not a knicks fan, i just think lebron is that good.

Having recently talked to various NYers about LeBron, I'm convinced y'all are out licking his nuts secretly in hope that "King" James would go to the Knicks in a few years.

I love Magic, but he'd be vulnerable to the same criticism rained upon Nash: no D. Stockton is rated too high, same w/ Duncan, albeit the latter only slightly. Boring is in I guess.

17. kwiteaboy

A dozen of players put up dashing stats every year on bad teams too, all but a handful who later join winning systems where they put up less eyepopping numbers become forgotten. What's your point again?

That's the thing: no one has put up the numbers that he has, especially at his age. You give players individual credit when they join better teams? That's absurd. How about rating players on their individual value added?

18. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Pretty good list. Nice to see Timmy D. getting some love. He is criminally underappreciated due to the lack of flash in his game. I would like to see Olajuwon a couple of places higher. He won two NBA titles with no other stars on his team besides an aging Clyde Drexler on the second title team. I think a lot of people undervalue these titles because Jordan was playing baseball at the time.

19. whacked

That's the thing: no one has put up the numbers that he has, especially at his age. You give players individual credit when they join better teams? That's absurd. How about rating players on their individual value added?

1. Oscar Robertson

2. Basketball is a team game. Rating its participants merely on "individual value added", however flawed it is measured, is absurd.

20. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

i'll go:

1. mj
    2. wilt
    3. magic
    4. bird
    5. kareem
    6. lbj
    7. russell
    8. oscar
    9. duncan
    10. stockton

Also Kunk, you have Stockton with no Malone? My earlier question still remains, how can you put Magic above Kareem when Magic didn't win anything without Kareem? Also, how can you put LBJ above Olajuwon?