• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Do We Spend So Much On Clothes?

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
devleoping work ethic soley from the desire of buying nice clothes can't turn out well ahha

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cuz whatever I spend on clothes, my wife can't spend on rugs, lamps, deco, picture frames, etc.

And my kids can' fit in my size.

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's much worse when you have multiple hobbies. For example, I'm a car fanatic so I ended up spending thousands on modifications to my car. I bought my first house a month ago and is now concentrating on outfitting it will a slew of furnishings which will again require extensive spending. It's interesting how style transcends for me, even my girl thinks so. I was suggesting the various types of furnishings and housewares we should get right down to the bedding and she exclaimed how she's never met a man with such diverse sense of style. The downside for me is that I'm still in college, so I'm more budget conscious since I can't afford to squander my pennies on mediocre goods.

Oxnard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
true, spending money on technology is always legit and no one ever questions it. I'd feel like I was wasting $ if I were a tech-nerd buying the latest and greatest than being a clothes-whore.

Buying clothes or furnishings for the house is where all my disposable $ goes. I will spend weeks pondering if I should buy the new iPod for $150 but drop $600 on shoes without a second thought

There is much truth in this, I can turn little **** over in my head all day like whether or not I want to spend $25 eating out w/friends or whether my $20 a month Netflix account is justifiable, but I can drop $500 on Aldens without a second thought. I can't wait till I am older and making more money, right now I only make about $10 an hour, yet I already know exactly how I am going to spend my next six paychecks.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't , but that's only because I'm not really in a position to. I've got a pile of bills each month because I more or less live on my own. I'm taking my final two classes to get my degree in the fall, so I have to take care of the bills through various, less-than-steady forms of income.

I've bought a couple higher end items since joining here, but for the most part, I'm spending my peasant days observing, learning and further developing my own sense of style without necessarily adding a new purchase to my wardrobe every week.

In the end, a hobby is a hobby and is bound to get scrutiny from some people. When I was big into DVDs, these sorts of threads popped up regularly on the forum I posted on dedicated to DVDs. It should be expected for some to question the drive behind these hobbies, though it's strange for them to crop up on forums dedicated to these hobbies.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spend so much on clothings because If I didnt I would be buying video games and waisting my life away. I find that spending money on clothing I really like even if its a little expensive makes me want to go out more and I used to be a hermit.

dizzhizz

Reaction score
no girlfriend, immediate gratification, self-conscious and badly dressed people in my immediate circle calls for spending money on clothes. not to mention living in a country with 4 legitimate seasons requires accessories.

Trackstarr

Reaction score
I can't imagine being on a forum like this at an age that a lot of guys are (late teens - early 20s) and seeing so much cool **** that you can't afford. It would drive me nuts, esp since I have that "I want this I want this" type of personality
Welcome to my jobless world

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
nor do I have expensive vices like $100 weekend bar tabs and I like working class food, not a fan of faggoty gourmet eats.

bounce2.gif
Good thing we never spend 20+ mins on the phone discussing food.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads