• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Do We Spend So Much On Clothes?

Doin' Fine.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
devleoping work ethic soley from the desire of buying nice clothes can't turn out well ahha

I'ma end up on the streets with a bit of cardboard that says "will work for selvage jawnz."

stylo 9000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I can't imagine being on a forum like this at an age that a lot of guys are (late teens - early 20s) and seeing so much cool **** that you can't afford. It would drive me nuts, esp since I have that "I want this I want this" type of personality

I'm there and it sucks

Originally Posted by constant struggle
hopefully when you are younger, you can get out and about more and not have time to sit here and read all this! instead of being old and going "i have work in the morning, staying in tonight"

if only. perhaps tagutcow and I can have a "suckiest personal life" competition

killua

Reaction score
First I wouldn't say I spend "so much on clothes". In terms of my priority for use of disposable income, it comes in after good food, alcohol and travel. Whatever is left over generally gets spent on clothes now.

So why clothes? I want to improve each part of my life, and I consider looking and feeling good to be an important part of this. Generally, buying clothes that both look and feel good is going to be expensive. Once I've established a satisfactory waredrobe (if that's possible) I'll move onto something else that I consider enjoyable and worthwile while maintaining my collection.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I typically don't spend exorbitant amounts of money on clothing, just most of my time. Like a lot of the other posters and lurkers, SF provides a way for me to become informed about clothing. Yes, I want to look my best, but I don't have the means, nor do I have a reason to spend tons of money on clothing. My most expensive purchases since frequenting SF have been a pair of APC NS and recently 3 for $159 BB shirts. Other than that, I scour discount stores and thrift stores for things I can add to my wardrobe. I've also been known to be a bit of a JCrew addict... but only when on sale.

Perhaps a better question would be to ask why we spend so much time discussing, researching, and borderline obsessed with clothes. In order to do any successful thrift store shopping, I first needed to research the brands, sizes, and construction of more expensive designers. Since then, I've picked up some Hickey Freeman jackets, Florsheim shoes, and various other items I might not have been able to afford. Yet without the countless hours of surfing SF, I wouldn't have known where to start or what to buy.

So, to get to the point, I do it because it makes me feel more confident and generally happier. Before SF, I knew that I never looked quite right. During my punk days, I was really into my clothing and what I wore. After transitioning out of that stage, I never felt quite right in my appearance. It was if I was just going through the motions. With SF, spending more time researching, and a little more money, I now know why certain items look good and how to find them. Luckily, I don't feel the need to spend large sums of cash, but who knows... After working for a while, I might take the plunge and buy some Aldens, Common Projects, or some higher end denim. Until then, I'm just as happy at H+M, Uniqlo, and thrift stores, or just waiting for an occasional sale.

Cavalier

Reaction score
I actually spend considerably less money now that I am on the forum/starting to mature a bit in my style. for the last 3-4 years I was blowing tons of cash on ****** jeans with dumb designs on the back pockets (TR, RR, etc.), lame graphic tee's then I got in the silly retro throw back/nike sneakerhead scene... I would blow $500 bucks on lame hypebeast crap thinking I was a baller. Now every kid in the world is wearing that stuff and I can tell how desperate and lame it is For the last year, I haven't bought any of that crap-- everything I buy has long term value to me. Day to day, I am breaking in a pair of APC jeans and have a washed pair of R&B that are a bit baggier/lighter denim. T shirts are from AA at ~$8 shipped from my favorite vendor off eBay. Any big $ investments in the near future will be denim or leather goods. I really want a Filson bag eventually. (Might try to get $40 bucks out of my old Lacoste back pack
lol8[1].gif
)

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i don;t anymore. is a ******* waste.

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have these really weird phases where I get fixated on a certain thing. Right now its clothing. :p

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few reasons for me, I guess. I don't have too much of a social life these days, being a single parent and spending most of my free time renovating a house so I can sell it. I figure that by dumping my gf I have more money to spend on clothes. Like most of you, I don't really have any other hobbies that I need to spend money on. Overall, I don't spend a lot on clothes, but I spend a lot on particular pieces if that makes sense. My wardrobe is very minimalist, but full of higher end stuff. I fixate on stuff like hand dyed, natural indigo, made in Japan, vintage-inspired blah blah blah, all of which really gets me off. As a result, I don't mind spending $900 on a denim peacoat. BUT, I tend to more often than not sell other stuff to pay for at least part of it.
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I will spend weeks pondering if I should buy the new iPod for $150 but drop $600 on shoes without a second thought
I'm very frugal when it comes to just about anything but clothes. I hate buying stuff in general. If anything, I am a bit OCD about having 'stuff'- the less I have, the happier I am.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BubblyMasquerade
i have these really weird phases where I get fixated on a certain thing. Right now its clothing. :p

Strange, happens to me at time too. Except, I've moved on from clothes so much now.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Same. But it's mainly cologne now. And cars.

thedamnscott

Reaction score

Explains my situation precisely.

It'd be extremely financial beneficial for me if that ceased to be the case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads