• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality of Brooks Brothers and Jos A Bank Slimfit Shirts

Hyped31

Reaction score
How would the quality of these compare to a Charles Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin?

I have had my BB slim fit non irons for over a year now and they have held up quite well. But I also agree with some of the other posters that they do seem to be quite baggy for a slim fit...is the fit comparable with CT and TMLewin??

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few Jos A Bank shirts to my knowledge there are only sewed not glued. I am not to familiar with Brooks Brothers shirts but I can vouge for Banks. I have several shirts from them out of the travler line that are going on 2 years now and still look fresh out of the packaging.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Almost all of my OCBD's are Brooks Bros. Slim Fit (regular fabric, not the non-iron crap).

So the non iron shirts are a different fabric? AFAIK they add a treatment to the same fabric you'd find on any of their shirts... which makes it a non-iron shirt. And I love the non iron shirts, especially since I travel quite a bit. It cuts down on ironing, which shortens the life of your shirts.

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
does anyone know if the slim-fit shirts at either of these stores have narrower shoulders compared to non-slim fit shirts in the same size?

Yes - our (JoS. A. Bank) Traveler Tailored Fit shirts are somewhere between 1.5-2 inches narrower in the shoulder than our regular fit. Try one on at your local JoS. A. Bank. It's not a "slim" fit...but definitely more fitted than a regular fit shirt...

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
So the non iron shirts are a different fabric? AFAIK they add a treatment to the same fabric you'd find on any of their shirts... which makes it a non-iron shirt. And I love the non iron shirts, especially since I travel quite a bit. It cuts down on ironing, which shortens the life of your shirts.

The biggest difference between most non-iron shirts and ours (JoS. A. Bank) is that ours are not dipped in formaldehyde after construction...not dipped at all, actually. Our Traveler treatment is not dipped and is not formaldehyde...and is still 100% cotton (unlike most non-irons). Ours is treated as a fiber instead of a fabric...so it cannot wash out or wear off. Wall Street Journal and Consumer Reports have named JoS. A. Bank's Traveler line the best wrinkle-free product line available in the country.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcmillin
Yes - our (JoS. A. Bank) Traveler Tailored Fit shirts are somewhere between 1.5-2 inches narrower in the shoulder than our regular fit. Try one on at your local JoS. A. Bank. It's not a "slim" fit...but definitely more fitted than a regular fit shirt...
good, because my JAB 16x35 non-tailored shirts are about 2" too wide in the shoulders.

ArrrrJay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
Johnny Flapjack
you sound like a candidate for custom shirts. Yes, online is chaeper, but it will be just as frustrating. have yourself measured.

Carl

I have the same issues as Mr. Flapjack, with a 17.5" neck, standard fit shirts look like hammer pants on me. I just picked up a couple BB 346 slim fit shirts (17.5/35), and they do fit better, but I can still pull the shirt out a foot from my stomach. Nice quality though.

I have been poking around at www.tailorstore.com and couple put together a nice looking shirt, but don't trust myself to measure correctly. If I get myself measured by my tailor, would ordering shirts online like this be worth it, or would it still be frustrating with correct measurement?

tripp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
does anyone know if the slim-fit shirts at either of these stores have narrower shoulders compared to non-slim fit shirts in the same size?

I recently ordered a JAB non-iron slim-fit shirt online and promptly returned it. Its yoke was wider than standard-fit Lands End non-iron shirts that I bought when I was 35 pounds heavier. (Both size 16) The Lands End shirts also have a finer, smoother hand. I've looked at the BB slim-fit and not purchased because the arms look baggy. I don't consider something slim-fit if only the shirt's waist is slimmer.

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tripp
I recently ordered a JAB non-iron slim-fit shirt online and promptly returned it. Its yoke was wider than standard-fit Lands End non-iron shirts that I bought when I was 35 pounds heavier. (Both size 16) The Lands End shirts also have a finer, smoother hand. I've looked at the BB slim-fit and not purchased because the arms look baggy. I don't consider something slim-fit if only the shirt's waist is slimmer.

Let me just jump in and say that JoS. A. Bank does not call ours a slim-fit shirt...we actually explicitly will tell you that it is not. It's a Tailored Fit - proportionately smaller in every measurement except the neck and sleeve.

Here are shirt measurements for our Standard Traveler and Tailored Fit Traveler shirts in a 16.5 neck. Expect these differences to adjust up and down by size. Remember, these are measurements of the shirt - not the person that will fit IN the shirt.

16.5" Neck
Tailored Fit

Chest 50.5"
Waist 46"
Hem 49"
Shoulder 19.75
(point to point)

16.5" Neck
Standard Fit

Chest 52.5"
Waist 51.5"
Hem 52.5"
Shoulder 22.25"
(point to point)

"Best Overall" Wrinkle-Free Dress Shirts The Wall Street Journal

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tripp

Land's End makes the trimmest non-iron shirt. Their 15.5 shirts have almost the exact same dimensions as my Barba stuff (the latter are all over the place in cut though). Just don't expect Riva fabrics or grandma style Napoli handwork for $35!

Chet Steadman

Reaction score
...Our Traveler system is included in the thread used to weave the fabric before it is built into a shirt....

Does this mean I can remove the pocket without leaving a permanent mark behind? I've heard that this is a problem with 100% cotton non-iron shirts.

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chet Steadman
Does this mean I can remove the pocket without leaving a permanent mark behind? I've heard that this is a problem with 100% cotton non-iron shirts.

hmmm...I am not sure about that. Honestly, I've never had a customer ask for that. I probably wouldn't advise it, because you might still see the needle marks. If I have time soon, I will try it and let you know what the results are...

Chet Steadman

Reaction score
hmmm...I am not sure about that. Honestly, I've never had a customer ask for that. I probably wouldn't advise it, because you might still see the needle marks. If I have time soon, I will try it and let you know what the results are...

That would be awesome. I wasn't so much worried about the needle marks but it is a possibility. Here's someone's adventure: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=50444

icedmocha

Reaction score
I may check out the JAB Travellers. I like the BB slim fit cut. Some of the slimmer shirts look too thin IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads