1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Quality of Brooks Brothers and Jos A Bank Slimfit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by StyGen, Jan 16, 2008.

1. furo

furo Senior member

How long a shirt lasts also has to do with how often you wear the shirt and how well you take care of it. If you wear a shirt once every 2 weeks, it should last longer than if you were it every week. Avoiding starch and fabric softeners will help it last longer as well.

Well here's a follow up:

What if you don't wash the shirt after every wear? And I'm being honest when I say that because I usually wear the shirts 3-4 times before washing (unless of course I had a bad day with body odor).

2. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I must admit, I'm a fan of the BB non-iron for the simple reason that they are so easy to take care of. Wash, dry and hang is right up my alley. If I wear the shirt with a tie I wear it once, but otherwise twice so it doesn't get washed too often. Most of my shirts have lasted 3+ years thus far. Perhaps I'll try a Jos A. Bank non-iron sometime.

My only complaint with the BB shirts is that even the slim-fit is too big and billowy. Do any companies make non-iron in a slimmer fit?

3. Cas Ruffin

Cas Ruffin Senior member

I own about 8 of the BB slim fits (some 346 and some retail). The BB 346 have the 2 buttons on the barrel cuff and the retail ones only have one button.

I'm perfectly happy with all of them but then again, I've only had them all for about 8 months or less, so I'm curious to know why they'd "fall apart" or be worn out in a year as the above poster mentioned.

If so, why would they wear down any quicker than a non-wrinkle-free shirt? The chemical treatment?

And here's another question: if we're comparing shirts like these, what is the price range of those shirts that "last longer than a year?" I typically get the BB slim fit shirts on sale for about $30 a piece (marked down from $80 retail).

It doesn't make any sense to me to pay $300 for a RLPL shirt or something, especially since they aren't even cut slim and tailoring a shirt is a lot of unneeded expense imo, but that's just me.

They have slimfit at 346?!!? You're lying. Prove it.

4. anon

anon Senior member

I've seen them. They're hard to come across, though. I was there this weekend and of the ~6 tables with shirts out, only 1 had slim fits. FWIW, most of my shirts are JAB wrinkle-free and, for the most part, they've help up fine. I started washing my first shirts with fabric softener and they are not holding up as well as newer shirts I got and have not washed with fabric softener. I don't know if it's because the older shirts have been worn more, if it's because the technique of making them wrinkle-free has changed, or if it is because of the fabric softener.

5. furo

furo Senior member

I must admit, I'm a fan of the BB non-iron for the simple reason that they are so easy to take care of. Wash, dry and hang is right up my alley. If I wear the shirt with a tie I wear it once, but otherwise twice so it doesn't get washed too often. Most of my shirts have lasted 3+ years thus far. Perhaps I'll try a Jos A. Bank non-iron sometime.

My only complaint with the BB shirts is that even the slim-fit is too big and billowy. Do any companies make non-iron in a slimmer fit?

3+ years seems reasonable to me. I'll just make sure I use the proper detergent [​IMG]

Will post pics when I get home

6. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Even some pretty good Neapolitan shirts (e.g. Barba) have fused collars and cuffs. Kabbaz bespoke shirts have fused collars. It is the construction method of cheap shirts, but it can also be a conscious style choice. Not everybody likes the look of unfused collars, and they're a pain to iron. BB does fused collars because it's cheaper, but so do Barba, Finamore, etc.

7. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

I am pretty sure that Jos A Bank dose not glue their shirts, I have several shirts from them that have seemed to hold up to their promise. I get them already fitted though.

8. mcmillin

mcmillin Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that Jos A Bank dose not glue their shirts, I have several shirts from them that have seemed to hold up to their promise. I get them already fitted though.

I am a JAB store manager and there seems to be a little confusion between the seam tape that is used and "glue" that we do not use. There is a tape in the seam that helps to prevent puckering though wearings and washings, but they are not glued.

9. anon

anon Senior member

does anyone know if the slim-fit shirts at either of these stores have narrower shoulders compared to non-slim fit shirts in the same size?

10. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Almost all of my OCBD's are Brooks Bros. Slim Fit (regular fabric, not the non-iron crap). They hold up remarkably well and the fit is really great, at least for me, a 15-33.

Anon, yes, the shoulders certainly are narrower.

11. Hyped31

Hyped31 Active Member

How would the quality of these compare to a Charles Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin?

I have had my BB slim fit non irons for over a year now and they have held up quite well. But I also agree with some of the other posters that they do seem to be quite baggy for a slim fit...is the fit comparable with CT and TMLewin??

12. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

I have a few Jos A Bank shirts to my knowledge there are only sewed not glued. I am not to familiar with Brooks Brothers shirts but I can vouge for Banks. I have several shirts from them out of the travler line that are going on 2 years now and still look fresh out of the packaging.

13. furo

furo Senior member

Almost all of my OCBD's are Brooks Bros. Slim Fit (regular fabric, not the non-iron crap).

So the non iron shirts are a different fabric? AFAIK they add a treatment to the same fabric you'd find on any of their shirts... which makes it a non-iron shirt. And I love the non iron shirts, especially since I travel quite a bit. It cuts down on ironing, which shortens the life of your shirts.

14. mcmillin

does anyone know if the slim-fit shirts at either of these stores have narrower shoulders compared to non-slim fit shirts in the same size?

Yes - our (JoS. A. Bank) Traveler Tailored Fit shirts are somewhere between 1.5-2 inches narrower in the shoulder than our regular fit. Try one on at your local JoS. A. Bank. It's not a "slim" fit...but definitely more fitted than a regular fit shirt...

15. mcmillin

So the non iron shirts are a different fabric? AFAIK they add a treatment to the same fabric you'd find on any of their shirts... which makes it a non-iron shirt. And I love the non iron shirts, especially since I travel quite a bit. It cuts down on ironing, which shortens the life of your shirts.

The biggest difference between most non-iron shirts and ours (JoS. A. Bank) is that ours are not dipped in formaldehyde after construction...not dipped at all, actually. Our Traveler treatment is not dipped and is not formaldehyde...and is still 100% cotton (unlike most non-irons). Ours is treated as a fiber instead of a fabric...so it cannot wash out or wear off. Wall Street Journal and Consumer Reports have named JoS. A. Bank's Traveler line the best wrinkle-free product line available in the country.

16. anon

anon Senior member

Yes - our (JoS. A. Bank) Traveler Tailored Fit shirts are somewhere between 1.5-2 inches narrower in the shoulder than our regular fit. Try one on at your local JoS. A. Bank. It's not a "slim" fit...but definitely more fitted than a regular fit shirt...
    good, because my JAB 16x35 non-tailored shirts are about 2" too wide in the shoulders.

17. furo

furo Senior member

So which is the slimmer cut, BB or JaB?

18. ArrrrJay

ArrrrJay Member

Johnny Flapjack
    you sound like a candidate for custom shirts. Yes, online is chaeper, but it will be just as frustrating. have yourself measured.

Carl

I have the same issues as Mr. Flapjack, with a 17.5" neck, standard fit shirts look like hammer pants on me. I just picked up a couple BB 346 slim fit shirts (17.5/35), and they do fit better, but I can still pull the shirt out a foot from my stomach. Nice quality though.

I have been poking around at www.tailorstore.com and couple put together a nice looking shirt, but don't trust myself to measure correctly. If I get myself measured by my tailor, would ordering shirts online like this be worth it, or would it still be frustrating with correct measurement?

19. tripp

tripp Member

I recently ordered a JAB non-iron slim-fit shirt online and promptly returned it. Its yoke was wider than standard-fit Lands End non-iron shirts that I bought when I was 35 pounds heavier. (Both size 16) The Lands End shirts also have a finer, smoother hand. I've looked at the BB slim-fit and not purchased because the arms look baggy. I don't consider something slim-fit if only the shirt's waist is slimmer.

20. mcmillin

I recently ordered a JAB non-iron slim-fit shirt online and promptly returned it. Its yoke was wider than standard-fit Lands End non-iron shirts that I bought when I was 35 pounds heavier. (Both size 16) The Lands End shirts also have a finer, smoother hand. I've looked at the BB slim-fit and not purchased because the arms look baggy. I don't consider something slim-fit if only the shirt's waist is slimmer.

Let me just jump in and say that JoS. A. Bank does not call ours a slim-fit shirt...we actually explicitly will tell you that it is not. It's a Tailored Fit - proportionately smaller in every measurement except the neck and sleeve.

Here are shirt measurements for our Standard Traveler and Tailored Fit Traveler shirts in a 16.5 neck. Expect these differences to adjust up and down by size. Remember, these are measurements of the shirt - not the person that will fit IN the shirt.

16.5" Neck
    Tailored Fit

Chest 50.5"
    Waist 46"
    Hem 49"
    Shoulder 19.75
    (point to point)

16.5" Neck
    Standard Fit

Chest 52.5"
    Waist 51.5"
    Hem 52.5"