• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Hong Kong" Tailors

dbachman

Reaction score
I am considering buying custom-made suits for the first time. Sure enough, there are people to ask about this on the Internet!

I've long noticed the ads for "Hong Kong" tailors in newspapers and had heard a long time ago that this was a reasonable way to get a better fitting suit (compared to, say, a department store). Since I started thinking about this, I've come across what seem to be three plausible options:

1. William Sani (advertisement in the Wall Street Journal, apparently has been advertising there for years).

2. The Tailored Man, Alexandria, Virginia (Ad in Washington Post--I live in the area).

3. Raja Fashions (puts a lot of effort into getting press, for sure).

To define my needs: I am a senior level career employee with the U.S. government, and would like some suits that look and feel appropriate for this type of work.

Would any of these makers represent a step up from buying off the rack at a department store or Joseph Banks? What should I expect, and do you have any tips for dealing with them?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's been a pretty fair amount of discussion of Raja Fashions here which you can read if you do a search for it. I would suspect the others you list are of the same ilk.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, if you use the search function for "Hong Kong tailors," you will find a plethora of information on itinerant Hong Kong tailors. W.W. Chan, whom I can most highly recommend based on personal experience, is the most popular and respected in the forum culture. I am confident that anything from them will be much superior to to anything from Banks, but it will also cost substantially more.

Hemrajani Brothers (mytailor.com) also have a following among forum members.

No other itinerant HK tailor gets any favorable mention that I am aware of among the thousands of members of these clothing fora. There is probably a message there.

dbachman

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I did do the search before I posted, and found the results confusing (one thread of a "cannonical list" of HK tailors did not include two of the three I mentioned above). Raja seems to get mixed reviews--I wasn't sure what this meant, and was kind of hoping for something like a consensus view. But maybe that is impossible.

Perhaps I could sum up what I've seen as indicating that the difference between the more expensive tailors and cheaper ones---whether itinerant or not---is consistency. Does this make sense?

BigPhil4

Reaction score
I just received what was supposed to be a custom make Honk Kong Suit from William Sani. This suit cost me $1100.00 and was god-awful. The sleeves were the wrong length, the sleeves puckered at the shoulders, the pans were not lined as promised, there were no working buttons on the cuffs of the jacket, the material feels like plastic. I have been to Honk Kong many times and have many "Hong Kong" suits - this suit is absolute junk. Another contributor to this forum is 100% correct when he states: "Attention to detail is non existent, fabric, thread, lining and button are highly suspect. The air fare to Hong Kong is about $800.00 RT from the NYC area. Fly there, have three to four suits made, enjoy Hong Kong. You will save money and have a great time. Above all STAY AWAY FROM WILLIAM SANI AND HONG KONG GRAND!

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbachman
Thanks for the help. I did do the search before I posted, and found the results confusing (one thread of a "cannonical list" of HK tailors did not include two of the three I mentioned above). Raja seems to get mixed reviews--I wasn't sure what this meant, and was kind of hoping for something like a consensus view. But maybe that is impossible.

Perhaps I could sum up what I've seen as indicating that the difference between the more expensive tailors and cheaper ones---whether itinerant or not---is consistency. Does this make sense?

IMO it goes beyond consistency. Chan has excellent fabrics and tends to be meticulous wrt to the little details. Plus, they are very technically adept. Their suits / jackets are very well constructed and can, if you so choose, include any number of SF-approved sartorial features. The one thing they sometimes fall short on is the "advisory" aspect of tailoring - in comparison to SR tailors, for instance, they will offer less advice on what may or may not suit you. You'll get the best results if you have a fairly good idea of the kind of product you are looking for (silhouette, fit, feel, etc., but not too specific in terms of construction elements which are rightly the province of their skilled tailoring hands) before you see them. I have never used the other you mention, so can't offer anything there.

yoshii

Reaction score
I remember reading (maybe in these forums) that you can send back your Chan suit for any alterations free of charge (i'd assume excl. shipping of course), is that true or was i just dreaming that i read that?

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much are you willing to spend?

paul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BigPhil4
I just received what was supposed to be a custom make Honk Kong Suit from William Sani. This suit cost me $1100.00 and was god-awful. The sleeves were the wrong length, the sleeves puckered at the shoulders, the pans were not lined as promised, there were no working buttons on the cuffs of the jacket, the material feels like plastic. I have been to Honk Kong many times and have many "Hong Kong" suits - this suit is absolute junk. Another contributor to this forum is 100% correct when he states: "Attention to detail is non existent, fabric, thread, lining and button are highly suspect. The air fare to Hong Kong is about $800.00 RT from the NYC area. Fly there, have three to four suits made, enjoy Hong Kong. You will save money and have a great time. Above all STAY AWAY FROM WILLIAM SANI AND HONG KONG GRAND!
Dear Sir,

I've personally dealt with "The Tailored Man", for over ten years or more. Sunder, is excellent, with regards to tailor made shirts. If it's suiting that you'll need, I would recommend you to "MyTailor.com", under Joe Hemrajani. Joe's establishment, has tailored, several sport jackets, suits and vests for me. MyTailor.com, does an excellent job, with regards to "attention to detail". I would highly recommend Joe's firm. My very first blazer done with MyTailor.com, was tailored, pretty close to being flawless. If you contact me directly, I can refer you to Joe.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
above post ^ ignore the advertising prick.
Originally Posted by dbachman
I am a senior level career employee with the U.S. government,
Are you Tim Gueithner? hehe
smile.gif
*And tailors that need to advertise are not very good- kinda like they're increasing units sold but not the quality. The great ones have enough clients from word of mouth. *HKD is pegged 7.5 to the USD, given low cost of living in HK, you can get a lot for a very reasonable price. *W.W. Chan seems to be popular for suits (out of my price range - i have my own old school tailor in HK who reportedly does cutting, and tailoring all by hand). *Jantzen is VERY popular for shirts - US$50 per shirt, but it tends to be a 'hit and miss' thing. Might as well grab a few while you're here *A final note, be prepared to stay at least 1 week for one suit. You'll need to pick fabric on the first day (pay 1/3 deposit). Usually they can get you come back for 1st fitting on the next day. And possible if you're really fussy anotehr fitting a few days later before your suit is ready in a week (or sent to you in US if you wish). *if you're new to bespoke, note that the most changes can only be done druing hte first fitting, so you need to be careful to know what you want- the silouette/shape of the suit, tapered waist or waht kind of shoulders- extra or minimal padding. *After the jacket is done, alterations can be made but an expert here said think of alterations as 'surgery', only do as a last resort.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seriously ...

Originally Posted by paul
Dear Sir,

I've personally dealt with "The Tailored Man", for over ten years or more. Sunder, is excellent, with regards to tailor made shirts. If it's suiting that you'll need, I would recommend you to "MyTailor.com", under Joe Hemrajani. Joe's establishment, has tailored, several sport jackets, suits and vests for me. MyTailor.com, does an excellent job, with regards to "attention to detail". I would highly recommend Joe's firm. My very first blazer done with MyTailor.com, was tailored, pretty close to being flawless. If you contact me directly, I can refer you to Joe.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
I think I have to agree that with Hemranjani, I would seriously just say no.

You must work for them

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone who views Hong Kong as a city with a low cost of living is probably viewing it through the rose tinted glasses of a billionaire, or else he hasn't been to or stayed in Hong Kong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads