• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Massages: Are they worth it?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive never had a massage but Im going to Vegas this weekend and my one friend swears up and down that getting a massage when you are hungover has rejuvenating potential.

I am staying at the MGM Grand and their standard 50 minute message is $140. Seems a little steep; Is this a fair price or should I just drink by the pool all day to get rid of my hangover?

Im sure its relaxing, just dont know what Im getting myself into (rub and tug?), what to request (swedish?), ettiquette (tipping?), etc...

Anyone have experiences with vegas massages they are allowed to share?

Cavalier

Reaction score
you can probably find a better massage off lasvegas.backpage.com

they'll come to your room too
fistbump.gif

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had some good and some bad. When it's good, it's generally great, and when it's bad, you'll wish you were pulling out your own fingernails rather than letting the masseuse grind into your spine one more time. In my experience, the best massages are given by aged Chinese women (not whores!). I paid about $1 per minute in NYC and surrounding area, so yes, $140 for 50 sounds steep to me, unless you're supposed to be deriving medicial benefit from it.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First, you're staying at the MGM, not at the Bunny Ranch, so what you're getting into is a massage, not a "massage."

Second, think of this as therapeutic, not as sexual or you're going to be very surprised when a big dude named Bruno comes in. It might be a woman. It might even be an attractive woman, but they will be very professional about it and there will not be any confusion about intentions.

Third, as to cost, there is "reasonable" and there is "Vegas reasonable." The same massage can be gotten in your home town for (likely) half the price. But you're not in your home town, you're in Vegas, trying to get over a hang over so that you can go out and do it all again the next night. Also, depending on your gambling interests, $140 for 50 minutes might be much cheaper than spending 50 minutes at the blackjack or craps tables (Vegas Economics 101), so the cost should be evaluated in that context.

Fourth, yes to tipping. Same as at a restaurant: 15-20% depending on service.

Finally, is it worth it? All depends on you. If you are someone that is not used to this sort of thing and gets antsy about a stranger having their hands on you...maybe massages aren't for you. If you just get over the homophobia/sexual connotations of that and just enjoy it, then it is GREAT! Extremely relaxing. Swedish massages have put me to sleep when I was particularly tired or hung over.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it in a hotel. The massage services are usually mediocre and for 150USD, more on the pricey side. I'd check out the local thai massage places in Las Vegas and they really are good at a fraction of the hotel costs. To answer you question: Are massages worth it? Yes, if you look ten years younger and if you feel relaxed for a week after the massage. The best massage I had was in Boracay Island. My masseuse was blind and he gave me a shiatsu massage. The best ever!

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had one massage before. It was in a hotel and it was half price because it was by a woman I had chatted up in the bar earlier and she gave me a deal. It was awesome. Ive never been able to afford another massage since, though.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
Ive never had a massage but Im going to Vegas this weekend and my one friend swears up and down that getting a massage when you are hungover has rejuvenating potential.

I am staying at the MGM Grand and their standard 50 minute message is $140. Seems a little steep; Is this a fair price or should I just drink by the pool all day to get rid of my hangover?

Im sure its relaxing, just dont know what Im getting myself into (rub and tug?), what to request (swedish?), ettiquette (tipping?), etc...

Anyone have experiences with vegas massages they are allowed to share?

In chicago I can get a decent massage for ~$60/hour, so to me $140 is way too high.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
First, you're staying at the MGM, not at the Bunny Ranch, so what you're getting into is a massage, not a "massage." Second, think of this as therapeutic, not as sexual or you're going to be very surprised when a big dude named Bruno comes in. It might be a woman. It might even be an attractive woman, but they will be very professional about it and there will not be any confusion about intentions. Third, as to cost, there is "reasonable" and there is "Vegas reasonable." The same massage can be gotten in your home town for (likely) half the price. But you're not in your home town, you're in Vegas, trying to get over a hang over so that you can go out and do it all again the next night. Also, depending on your gambling interests, $140 for 50 minutes might be much cheaper than spending 50 minutes at the blackjack or craps tables (Vegas Economics 101), so the cost should be evaluated in that context. Fourth, yes to tipping. Same as at a restaurant: 15-20% depending on service. Finally, is it worth it? All depends on you. If you are someone that is not used to this sort of thing and gets antsy about a stranger having their hands on you...maybe massages aren't for you. If you just get over the homophobia/sexual connotations of that and just enjoy it, then it is GREAT! Extremely relaxing. Swedish massages have put me to sleep when I was particularly tired or hung over.
+1!!!11!1!111111111!!!11! I get one every 2 months.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had a great one for $45 a couple of hours ago. Well worth it for me because my traps are killing me today.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... so everyone seems to agree its a lovely start to the day. Now I just need to decide if I want to drop $140 + $20 tip. Guess its worth a try once.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know that I'd want one when hungover. I wouldn't get my first one that way.

I like them, otherwise. It's frustrating when you're stuck in the middle of a bad one, but good ones are spectacular.

There are a variety of types and intensities, from the very gentle to the painful. I like mine pretty deep, but YMMV.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I don't know that I'd want one when hungover. I wouldn't get my first one that way.

I like them, otherwise. It's frustrating when you're stuck in the middle of a bad one, but good ones are spectacular.

There are a variety of types and intensities, from the very gentle to the painful. I like mine pretty deep, but YMMV.

Ok, one last question.... if it gets started and I want it harder/softer can I request that?

For instance, the Swedish Massage is the basic, but what does that entail? Is that a painful one or just a nice little rubdown? What is the best entry level type to get?

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why pay the hotel a fee? Look on craigslist or the yellow pages and save the added $$. The hotel just subcontracts out to somebody they've found anyway.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Massages are only worth it when they push as hard as they can and bruise the hell out of me. Otherwise, it just irritates me.

If you do get a deep tissue massage, be sure to drink lots of water afterward. The massage is going to release toxins built up in your body, so you may feel a little sick afterward. Drink lots of water and piss it all out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads