• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H&M Suit Based Outfit - Waja think?

taikuodo

Reaction score
So, probably breaking some rules here and there about formality but here's what I set out to do:
Senior Ball coming up, renting a tux costs roughly $160 and I didn't feel like shelling out that much cash for something I'm only going to be using one night. Trying to save money and look good at the same time. I had tried out the black suit, but found that my super tan skin didn't really benefit from it, plus the fact that Navy with super small and faint pin stripes could be used in job interviews and stuff. So what do you guys think stylistically?

H&M Navy Pinstripe: $100
Aldo Cingual: $110
Black Skinny Tie: $6
Paul Fredrick Trim Fit, Windsor Collar, One button: $26
Belt: Something I had before
Pants hem: $5
Pocket Square: $4

Total: $251

Sorry bout the tags, I am taking them off later of course.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you did very well for the price you paid. Pants could be hemmed a bit shorter though.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it looks pretty good.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not bad. Pretty good considering the price you paid.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That actually looks pretty good. I've heard mixed opinions on H&M's clothing, but I like the cut and the color of that suit. Thinking back to my prom, my suit didn't look half as good.

Out of curiosity, did you pay full price for the suit? I saw that particular suit at a Toronto H&M, and it cost about $230. Of course clothes are usually more expensive in Canada than the U.S.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking really good for $250. A couple of thoughts:

-- They should probably redo the hem on the trousers for you. They look a little long.
-- I think the tie is too skinny to wear with such an epic collar.
-- Opinions vary on this, but I am in the school of thought that says black shoes with a navy suit make baby Jesus cry. Got any brown ones sitting around?

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good job. I find it funny that your in high school(?), wear H&M and you put yourself together better than some successful older gentlemen with a taste for "bespoke" who post on this forum.
wink.gif

taikuodo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr Huh?
Out of curiosity, did you pay full price for the suit? I saw that particular suit at a Toronto H&M, and it cost about $230. Of course clothes are usually more expensive in Canada than the U.S.
Hrmmf, thanks guys. I'm in the Bay Area, i've only checked out Walnut Creek and Stoneridge (where I bought this one) H&Ms. The suit says H&M on the inside, slim fit on the cardboard tag, and retails $60 and $30 respectively, blazer and pants. The cloth is super thin (good and bad, considering its summer). The other colors I've seen are a light grayish blue, charcoal (went OOS or something), gray, and black. Then they have khaki, white, and other colors in linen. Funny story about the hem: I wanted a shorter hem, but both my mom and the tailor were like "oh no'z then it will be too short and you will look like a person who got pants that were too short for them". In an essence this is true to the public eye, but then I don't get that clean break that SF'ers love. EDIT: My collar is "epic" haha?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overall looks pretty good for what you want out of it. Pants could be hemmed a bit shorter and collar is way too huge. It's too prominent IMO and is kind of "in your face".

Butterfly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by taikuodo
Funny story about the hem: I wanted a shorter hem, but both my mom and the tailor were like "oh no'z then it will be too short and you will look like a person who got pants that were too short for them". In an essence this is true to the public eye, but then I don't get that clean break that SF'ers love.

That is a story repeated every single day in homes across America, I believe. I have been privy to a scene in which the woman insisted her man's suit sleeves go all the way down to his thumbs, because "that's the way it should be".
lol8[1].gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Overall looks pretty good for what you want out of it. Pants could be hemmed a bit shorter and collar is way too huge. It's too prominent IMO and is kind of "in your face".

I dont know about 'in your face', but this could definitely benefit from a smaller collar.

Overall, very well done! I would have the hem redone to a light break.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I dont know about 'in your face', but this could definitely benefit from a smaller collar.

My eyes are drawn to the massive collar every time I look at the pics.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Right.....

??

They are. Yours may not be but mine certainly are and there is absolutely no way you can possibly tell me what my eyes are drawn to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads