1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

H&M Suit Based Outfit - Waja think?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by taikuodo, May 25, 2009.

1. taikuodo

taikuodo Well-Known Member

So, probably breaking some rules here and there about formality but here's what I set out to do:
    Senior Ball coming up, renting a tux costs roughly $160 and I didn't feel like shelling out that much cash for something I'm only going to be using one night. Trying to save money and look good at the same time. I had tried out the black suit, but found that my super tan skin didn't really benefit from it, plus the fact that Navy with super small and faint pin stripes could be used in job interviews and stuff. So what do you guys think stylistically?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

H&M Navy Pinstripe: $100
    Aldo Cingual: $110
    Black Skinny Tie: $6
    Paul Fredrick Trim Fit, Windsor Collar, One button: $26
    Belt: Something I had before
    Pants hem: $5
    Pocket Square: $4

Total: $251

Sorry bout the tags, I am taking them off later of course.

2. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Well-Known Member

I think you did very well for the price you paid. Pants could be hemmed a bit shorter though.

3. Philip1978

Philip1978 Well-Known Member

I think it looks pretty good.

4. Zenny

Zenny Well-Known Member

Not bad. Pretty good considering the price you paid.

5. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Well-Known Member

That actually looks pretty good. I've heard mixed opinions on H&M's clothing, but I like the cut and the color of that suit. Thinking back to my prom, my suit didn't look half as good.

Out of curiosity, did you pay full price for the suit? I saw that particular suit at a Toronto H&M, and it cost about $230. Of course clothes are usually more expensive in Canada than the U.S.

6. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Well-Known Member

Looking really good for $250. A couple of thoughts:

-- They should probably redo the hem on the trousers for you. They look a little long.
    -- I think the tie is too skinny to wear with such an epic collar.
    -- Opinions vary on this, but I am in the school of thought that says black shoes with a navy suit make baby Jesus cry. Got any brown ones sitting around?

7. emmanuel

emmanuel Well-Known Member

Good job. I find it funny that your in high school(?), wear H&M and you put yourself together better than some successful older gentlemen with a taste for "bespoke" who post on this forum. [​IMG]

8. taikuodo

Out of curiosity, did you pay full price for the suit? I saw that particular suit at a Toronto H&M, and it cost about $230. Of course clothes are usually more expensive in Canada than the U.S.
    Hrmmf, thanks guys. I'm in the Bay Area, i've only checked out Walnut Creek and Stoneridge (where I bought this one) H&Ms. The suit says H&M on the inside, slim fit on the cardboard tag, and retails $60 and $30 respectively, blazer and pants. The cloth is super thin (good and bad, considering its summer). The other colors I've seen are a light grayish blue, charcoal (went OOS or something), gray, and black. Then they have khaki, white, and other colors in linen. Funny story about the hem: I wanted a shorter hem, but both my mom and the tailor were like "oh no'z then it will be too short and you will look like a person who got pants that were too short for them". In an essence this is true to the public eye, but then I don't get that clean break that SF'ers love. EDIT: My collar is "epic" haha?

9. Jumbie

Jumbie Well-Known Member

Overall looks pretty good for what you want out of it. Pants could be hemmed a bit shorter and collar is way too huge. It's too prominent IMO and is kind of "in your face".

10. Butterfly

Butterfly Well-Known Member

Funny story about the hem: I wanted a shorter hem, but both my mom and the tailor were like "oh no'z then it will be too short and you will look like a person who got pants that were too short for them". In an essence this is true to the public eye, but then I don't get that clean break that SF'ers love.

That is a story repeated every single day in homes across America, I believe. I have been privy to a scene in which the woman insisted her man's suit sleeves go all the way down to his thumbs, because "that's the way it should be". [​IMG]

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Overall looks pretty good for what you want out of it. Pants could be hemmed a bit shorter and collar is way too huge. It's too prominent IMO and is kind of "in your face".

I dont know about 'in your face', but this could definitely benefit from a smaller collar.

Overall, very well done! I would have the hem redone to a light break.

12. Jumbie

Jumbie Well-Known Member

I dont know about 'in your face', but this could definitely benefit from a smaller collar.

My eyes are drawn to the massive collar every time I look at the pics.

13. SkinnyGoomba

14. Jumbie

Jumbie Well-Known Member

Right.....

??

They are. Yours may not be but mine certainly are and there is absolutely no way you can possibly tell me what my eyes are drawn to.

15. willpower

willpower Well-Known Member

Did anyone mention smaller collar and hemming of the pants?

16. Coal_Mining_Polak

Coal_Mining_Polak Well-Known Member

My eyes are drawn to the massive collar every time I look at the pics.
    +1 I didn't notice until it was brought up because other than the 70's-sized collar, the outfit looks pretty great - especially for the price! Good call on getting a Navy suit instead of black. Now go get a cheap White dress shirt at H&M, they're only $20!

17. taikuodo

haha, you guys are right. Hrmmf... I do have another express dress shirt but both including the h&m one are point collars and not spread, i kinda like how the collar tips spread out, eh? Ill keep switching back n forth and seeing for myself.

18. SkinnyGoomba

yeah stick to the spread.

Thought with a point collar, i'd wear a slightly wider tie (say 3") and a collar pin. It'll certainly be a conversation starter. Just make sure you get a sterling silver collar pin if you go with this idea. So that no one knocks your sartorial know-how if they ask what it is.

19. CHITON

CHITON Well-Known Member

Good job. I find it funny that your in high school(?), wear H&M and you put yourself together better than some successful older gentlemen with a taste for "bespoke" who post on this forum. [​IMG]

+1 [​IMG]

20. glowell222

glowell222 Well-Known Member

The coat is just a touch short for my taste, but I have no problem with the collar. I don't think it would make that much difference if it was a touch smaller-we can't see the OP's face, so maybe this collar will work for him.