• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for dark suede chukkas. Anyone have some favorites? I'm tempted to just order the unlined chukka directt from Alden, but would prefer a Plaza last or some broguing, if available anywhere. Also - should I order them true to size or a half size down (Leydon last)?

(The Leather Sole boots are great; I'd get them if they came in a color I didn't already own.)

Oxnard

Reaction score
Ordered these last week after scraping, scrounging, and selling in order to get the money up, just got them in from Leather Soul yesterday. For anyone looking for a sizing comparison, I got the boots (plaza last) in an 11d, and I also own a pair of cordovan balmoral oxfords (aberdeen) in an 11d, both actually fit pretty similar for me, strangely enough as I usually wear 11.5-12 in most shoes/sneakers.
tswb1.jpg
Also wanted to say how impressed I am with the service that I received at Leather Soul, as Tom was extremely patient and forthcoming , as well as quickly responsive, through the entire process of purchasing these boots.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mechanical pencil
I just got the unlined suede chukka. Love 'em!

Fit true to size for me.

I'll second that - they're awesome. The unlined chukka comes on the Leydon last, so it's a sleeker design. I prefer it over the Plaza for a suede shoe. I've got the snuff suede color, which looks pretty g-damn good with a seersucker suit.

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking I need a plain toe bad-weather boot in my life for when I move back to the Midwest this fall. AF53 and AF43 on trubalance, or the AF88 and AF89 on Leydon all look great. Anyone have a pair on the Leydon last and can compare the trubalance?

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PinkPantser
I'm thinking I need a plain toe bad-weather boot in my life for when I move back to the Midwest this fall. AF53 and AF43 on trubalance, or the AF88 and AF89 on Leydon all look great. Anyone have a pair on the Leydon last and can compare the trubalance?

I would also take a look at the rust colored Wolverine 1000 mile boot. I'm planning on getting one of these for the same exact reason.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the Leydon will have a sleeker, narrower toebox. Probably desirable if you plan to wear the shoes with non-outdoors, dressier clothing. The tru-balance will have a wider toe-box, and looks better with heavier fabrics IMO. The tru-balance is the same last as the Indy, just imagine all the fits pics with the Indy without the stitching. I own the Indys in a size 8D and they fit me very well, however when I tried on a pair of the suede chukka boots by Alden on the Leydon last in a 8D, they were noticeably narrow, I definitely would of needed a 8E or something in the Leydon. If you want a shell-boot, I would personally get the PTB (plain toe boot) by leather soul. Don't ask me why, I just prefer the look of it.

mechanical pencil

Reaction score
Hey does anyone here know of a source for the plain to bal Plaza last (935) in brown calf or the
wingtip bal oxford (903) in brown calf?

I tried to order each of these from Sherman Brothers and was informed both times told that they are "discontinued." Thought maybe some Alden hunter might have come across them somewhere...

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
the Leydon will have a sleeker, narrower toebox. Probably desirable if you plan to wear the shoes with non-outdoors, dressier clothing. The tru-balance will have a wider toe-box, and looks better with heavier fabrics IMO. The tru-balance is the same last as the Indy, just imagine all the fits pics with the Indy without the stitching. I own the Indys in a size 8D and they fit me very well, however when I tried on a pair of the suede chukka boots by Alden on the Leydon last in a 8D, they were noticeably narrow, I definitely would of needed a 8E or something in the Leydon. If you want a shell-boot, I would personally get the PTB (plain toe boot) by leather soul. Don't ask me why, I just prefer the look of it.
thanks mini. I looked into ls first thing but wanted a boot with a commando sole right out of the box. I'm also not sure i'm willing to pay extra for shell, have to think on that.

I've already got one alden boot on the trubalance last in a size 11d so i'd probably take an 11.5 in the leydon, can anyone confirm?

Originally Posted by Teger
I think my next Alden purchase will be a suede boot.

do it, best thing in my wardrobe. I love mine more than my infant child

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Nice chattin with you Tom, you truely are an asset to the board and a top class gentleman.

someone needs to balance you out.

btw, anyone know of a good Alden shop in Tokyo? Doesn't Alden do Japan-only editions that can't be found here?

Oxnard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mechanical pencil
Hey does anyone here know of a source for the plain to bal Plaza last (935) in brown calf or the wingtip bal oxford (903) in brown calf? I tried to order each of these from Sherman Brothers and was informed both times told that they are "discontinued." Thought maybe some Alden hunter might have come across them somewhere...
Have you checked theshoemart yet? They have an absolute ton of Alden shoes for sale online, in a variety of finishes and lasts. http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/c...rowse_vendor=1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads