• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Star Trek : Go Watch It

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw it on friday and really enjoyed it.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw it on an IMAX screen last night (highly recommended) and thought it was very entertaining. It was especially well-paced, the casting was well done, it definitely hit some self-referential Star Trek humor but being familiar with the older movies I appreciated it. There are definitely some head-scratchers in regards to the science, there's definitely some suspension of disbelief required, but the action and the effects are pretty well done and all in all it met my expectations.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
There are definitely some head-scratchers in regards to the science, there's definitely some suspension of disbelief required, but the action and the effects are pretty well done and all in all it met my expectations.

Not to pick on you but... it really puzzles me that people would pick apart the science of a futuristic science fiction movie, a setting whose technology allows for things ours don't, and whose knowledge of science probably opens them up to fields we haven't existed...

It'd basically feels like people from Roman times watching a WWII movie and complaining about how the atom bomb is impossible because of "such and such" and "x and y". It's more of a pet peeve, but a lot of the stuff in Star Trek seems plausible if you just imagine "Well they probably have X technology that solves THAT issue...".

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unrated
Why did Sulu have to use a sword though?

Way to reinforce stereotypes of Asian men.

Nero watched as Rome burned. Nice.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I loved it! the casting was great, and I'm glad they tried to give as much fan service as they could without going overboard, like the green chick Kirk was making out with, some sound effects, and an offer to save the Vulcan crew at the end just to name a few.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I'm curious to see what the MAJOR trek nerds think of what happened to Vulcan. Seemed a bit of an egregious sacrilege to me...
wink.gif

Obviously this will get addressed in the sequel.

Originally Posted by robertorex
Nero watched as Rome burned. Nice.

He should have been fiddling.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ He was a miner which leads me to believe he had the Romulan work wear going on.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rachel Nichols seemed to have gained some weight as an Orion. Do not want.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Not to pick on you but... it really puzzles me that people would pick apart the science of a futuristic science fiction movie, a setting whose technology allows for things ours don't, and whose knowledge of science probably opens them up to fields we haven't existed... It'd basically feels like people from Roman times watching a WWII movie and complaining about how the atom bomb is impossible because of "such and such" and "x and y". It's more of a pet peeve, but a lot of the stuff in Star Trek seems plausible if you just imagine "Well they probably have X technology that solves THAT issue...".
Every science fiction universe still has it's own rules, loosely based on what we currently know, which they definitely flaunted with impunity. They abused the deus ex machina a bit much for my liking. There was still some bizarre stuff that didn't have to do with technology...namely the scene from the trailer where Kirk as a boy manages to bring himself to a screeching halt using his hands on gravel in about 10 feet, after having lept from a car we are led to believe was going about 80 mph. I mean, come on. This was probably the least realistic thing in the entire movie, and this movie featured spaceships traveling faster than the speed of light, particle transporters, aliens, and artificially created black holes.
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
Rachel Nichols seemed to have gained some weight as an Orion. Do not want.
We get it, you don't like girls like that

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Not to pick on you but... it really puzzles me that people would pick apart the science of a futuristic science fiction movie, a setting whose technology allows for things ours don't, and whose knowledge of science probably opens them up to fields we haven't existed...

It'd basically feels like people from Roman times watching a WWII movie and complaining about how the atom bomb is impossible because of "such and such" and "x and y". It's more of a pet peeve, but a lot of the stuff in Star Trek seems plausible if you just imagine "Well they probably have X technology that solves THAT issue...".

Some science fiction ages better than others.

Think Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics