• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

modual

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scoon0224
PBJ...
I don't like the cut of the Pure Blue Japan xx003 anyway. The butt is flat, the back rise too low compared to the front, and the thighs are too slim for the wide hem. All in all, I feel the proportions are all off. It's not a very 'blue jeans' cut.
(love the fabric... wish they would make a more vintage cut...)

I think you're describing the xx005 ?

scoon0224

Reaction score
Na, I mean the xx003. Though both seem to have quite wide hems compared to the thigh.
I don't know quite what the idea was with the way they cut the top block. I guess since most of the two SF's file them under 'repro' I expected it to be repro-ish. Instead it just means hidden rivets and selvage.

Nothing wrong if that's the cut you're looking for, just be aware that its not in the same category.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygenius06
I bought a pair of april 77 joey grey colordrives in a size 32 but there a little to baggy. What can I do to shrink em? thanks for the help.
Return them.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Asked this once before, no answer, trying again.

Have been wearing my dry Slim Jims for five months with no washing. They bled and all that fun stuff when I first got them, fairly ruined my white couch, awesome. But after all this time there are no visible fades. Nada. The colour is consistent throughout. I have never washed them.

WTF is going on?

PLS HLEP

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Asked this once before, no answer, trying again.

Have been wearing my dry Slim Jims for five months with no washing. They bled and all that fun stuff when I first got them, fairly ruined my white couch, awesome. But after all this time there are no visible fades. Nada. The colour is consistent throughout. I have never washed them.

WTF is going on?

I guess you're just not wearing them hard enough.... When you say "5 months", do you mean 5 months wearing them every day, or 5 months wearing them every other day or less? There is a huge difference. Also these aren't the slim jim stretch are they? I've heard those fade really, really slowly.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
I guess you're just not wearing them hard enough.... When you say "5 months", do you mean 5 months wearing them every day, or 5 months wearing them every other day or less? There is a huge difference. Also these aren't the slim jim stretch are they? I've heard those fade really, really slowly.

I typically put them on every evening after work, and wear them for about seven hours, and then on weekends all day. I sometimes wear them to work on Fridays. This is going to change as summer comes and I start wearing shorts more. I don't think they are stretch.

I will just keep going. I don't understand why there are no fades at all though. I was under the impression that the fades would begin to show in a couple months.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I typically put them on every evening after work, and wear them for about seven hours, and then on weekends all day. I sometimes wear them to work on Fridays. This is going to change as summer comes and I start wearing shorts more. I don't think they are stretch.

I will just keep going. I don't understand why there are no fades at all though. I was under the impression that the fades would begin to show in a couple months.

It depends on how hard you wear them not just how often you wear them. If you're putting them on after work, I can't imagine you spend that down time mountain biking. People with desk jobs have slow-fading jeans and it only makes sense.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ You can shrink them, but they'll just stretch back out with wear. It's an exercise in futility. Just get the right size.

Crazy

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm looking at a pair of either the APC PS, or the Naked & Famous Skinny Guy in Natural Indigo Revival. I've tried on both in person and they fit pretty similarly, but the Skinny Guys look lighter and I'm wondering how they will fade. I've heard that Natural Indigo takes a little more to knock off, but rope dying alleviates some of this (Naked & Famous claim to do something called "long chain" dying, is this the same?) I'm also wondering if the N&F will stretch as much as APC. I'm looking for some fairly quick, defined fades, as this will be my first pair of decent raw denim. I haven't seen any faded examples up here, so even if people have predictions it would be appreciated. Another thing to keep in mind is that, since I live Canada, the APCs are $50 more. With that in mind, which should I choose?

Thanks

bunny4eva

Reaction score
Question: Is a 7.5 inch leg opening large enough to cover most engineer-like boots without making a buldge at the bottom?

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 4saken
Question: Is a 7.5 inch leg opening large enough to cover most engineer-like boots without making a buldge at the bottom?

It's really going to depend on the boot.

My slimmer jeans are all in the 7-8 inch range and I only wear them with ankle boots and slim combat boots. Cowboy and heavier work boots bulge too much.

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
Currently I own these jeans:

Naked and Famous Skinny guy - silk denim (for my skinny jean, obviously)

Wings + Horns 5 pocket slim fit raw - dark indigo (for my very slim (almost skinny!) straight leg)

Rag and bone RB11 - dark indigo (for my "loose" straight leg)

RRL slim boot cut - light wash (a very skinny/tight fitting jean, but enough room to fit comfortably with boots)

They all have different enough fits, at least for me, to justify owning them. I want to add a black jean, as my N&F skinny guys in black ended up not fitting (i sized down too much). I want it to fit pretty slim-straight. I was thinking the KMW black rocker raw, any other suggestions?

jwagner15

Reaction score
I am 5'10" and 130 lbs. I am looking for a dark, good, and inexpensive jean. Something under $60 would be nice. Sinc I am really thin as well would a skinny jean be appropriate as long as its not tight?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads