• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: Thin-Red Line backorder pre-order... We're idiots

closetmess

Reaction score
News from Richard today...not great, not toooo terrible though

Hi Ben,

Those have been aded for you. We're collating orders now and expect to be able to send an order confirmation email no later than Thursday. Unfortunatley, the lower grade leather turned out not to be an option because our manufacturer now only deals in the high end of the market.

Whilst we're keeping prices to an absolute bare minimum, raw material costs have gone up over the last year and shipping charges are also significant. Dispite this, the shoes will still represent unbeatable value considering the almost unbeatable quality but the price will be more reflective of this. Also shipping are something which we cannot subsidise so they will be based on actual cost.

If you have a moment, would be able to let SF members know this so as to avoid dissapointment when the order confirmation email arrives.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sargents now only deal with the high end market??
sarcasm.gif
?

Seems what is a good deal is fast becoming disappointing for many of us. Figure in shipping and the new increased price, i'm starting to think buying c&js might have been a better option.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's too soon to say anything.
i'll reserve my thoughts until i get the quote.

Originally Posted by upnorth
sarcasm.gif
?

Seems what is a good deal is fast becoming disappointing for many of us. Figure in shipping and the new increased price, i'm starting to think buying c&js might have been a better option.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sarcasm.gif
?

Dont understand ?? Hows this disappointing? We havent been given a price yet and surely the price isnt going to be circa £280 the price of C&J's?? As for delivery thats got to be there in any case and cant be that different to their prices on TRL??? Lets just wait and see yeh ???

Sebastian

Reaction score
sarcasm.gif
?

I think this topic was discussed in another thread...

Obviously, they want to stop producing lower lines and increase the quality of the remaining lines.

Could someone elaborate on this?

It's also a way to deal with the crisis...

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kev777
As for delivery thats got to be there in any case and cant be that different to their prices on TRL??? Lets just wait and see yeh ???

Not sure if you are aware, their 12gbp shipping is hugely subsidized. I think some of those who placed orders could be in for more than 50gbp in shipping, not something they expect.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
£50 to where ?? Within the UK ?? Ive never ever seen delivery of that !!!!

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kev777
£50 to where ?? Within the UK ?? Ive never ever seen delivery of that !!!!

I think it was stated in the other thread for the USA.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sarcasm.gif
?

I think your statements are predicated on the idea that C&J are somehow miles apart from Sargent. IMHO owning several pairs of both C&J and Sargent, the differences in quality are marginal when comparing C&J benchgrade with the better Sargent lines. The gulf widens when comparing the non-premium lines, but that wouldn't exactly be a fair comparison.

I also agree with some of the other posters; given the average price of £220-280 for C&J benchgrades, I still think that the TRL Sargents would be good value for money.

Anders

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrCool1978

Yes, this is what Richard told me in a e-mail (entire email posted in the other thread):

the shipping charges start at GBP30 and for people who ordered several pairs, in some cases, we ended up paying over GBP50, whilst we only charge a flat rate GBP12 for international shipping.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two little gripes with these shoes.

I wore the walnut suede full brogues today.

1. The dumb red lining has dyed my pantherella socks red. Also the Lining edges can be seen from some angles when looking at the shoe when its on, which I don't like.

2. Looks like these are indeed seargents because the rubber heel wedges creak on both shoes when walking. I have the same issue on two pairs of peal sargents. Looks like I will have to get the wedges nailed down as a fix.

I think I am going to bail on a reorder unless there is option for non red lining.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
I also agree with some of the other posters; given the average price of £220-280 for C&J benchgrades, I still think that the TRL Sargents would be good value for money.

Maybe, but shouldn't we be comparing these against the price for AS -- since that's what they are -- rather than C&J? While 115 GBP would have been a great deal for C&J, it would have only been a good deal for AS who's prices were more in the 150-180 range.

I'm also concerned about how AS's quality holds up after all the changes.

Anyway, it's too soon to tell. I'll wait and see what the new price is going to be.

stylemaven

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrCool1978

I posted a pair from the UK to the states for another member - and assumed there 12gbp shipping was what it would cost me - turned out to be GBP 40+

still - I'm very pleased with the two pairs I got on the first go around, and would be game for some more...

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemaven
I posted a pair from the UK to the states for another member - and assumed there 12gbp shipping was what it would cost me - turned out to be GBP 40+
still - I'm very pleased with the two pairs I got on the first go around, and would be game for some more...

Sure, But TRL has to be careful with their pricing: there are alot of UK based websites that are offering the same quality shoes for 20 pounds shipping. Herringshoes, for example, has got some great Cheaney and Loake sale price deals for the above stated shipping price. Admittedly, I have no idea how Cheaney and Loake stand against AS, but they look good.

Perhaps the 40 pound shipping could be tempered by their willingness to not offer such fast shipping. I have no problem waiting longer for 20 pound shipping. But for 40 pounds ($70 CAD), blow me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads