• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: Thin-Red Line backorder pre-order... We're idiots

stoff

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just a heads up - I emailed Robert last night and asked about whether he could get hold of a plain captoe for this pre-order - he said no problems!

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the UK G width equivalence in US size?

I understand UK G to be equivalent to US EEE. But if an F width = US D, and a G width = US EEE, does this mean that in UK sizing there is nothing in between like the way US sizing has E and EE?

It seems like a big jump going from a D width to EEE width with nothing in between...

For my half-brogue suede re-orders I'm trying to decide between 12UK F or 11.5 UK G. My Full brogues fit nicely, but wondering if I can eliminate some of the length while keeping a good width with an 11.5 G.

Trojanman74

Reaction score
everyoen get in your orders today. if you have ANY questions, email richard. his email can be found throughout the thread. he will try his best to give you the accurate measurements of the shoe youre asking about or if he can do a special makeup of a shoe for you.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I just called Alfred Sargent from the number on their website and they mentioned that there is a half size difference in their shoes when converting from UK to US...

laddie00

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
FWIW, I just called Alfred Sargent from the number on their website and they mentioned that there is a half size difference in their shoes when converting from UK to US...

Does this mean a 1/2 size difference from the standard 1/2 size conversion? So one would normally convert a 10.5 US to 10 UK, but should subtract an additional 1/2 size to arrive at 9.5 UK. Oh dear, I've gone cross-eyed...

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laddie00
Does this mean a 1/2 size difference from the standard 1/2 size conversion? So one would normally convert a 10.5 US to 10 UK, but should subtract an additional 1/2 size to arrive at 9.5 UK. Oh dear, I've gone cross-eyed...

I think it means that you should take your regular US size and substract .5 to get your Sargent UK size. In your case, 10UK would be your AS size... From personal experience, I also don't think there is a standard for converting US-UK sizes; some quote .5 while for others it's 1 full size down. I'd go with the manufacturer's rec in case of doubt.

guster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stoff
Hi guys,

Just a heads up - I emailed Robert last night and asked about whether he could get hold of a plain captoe for this pre-order - he said no problems!

If he is willing to do a plain cap-toe for this order,how do we let him know that - if orders are due today? It was not on the form last night.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FX is between F and G

Originally Posted by somatoform
Can anyone comment on the UK G width equivalence in US size?

I understand UK G to be equivalent to US EEE. But if an F width = US D, and a G width = US EEE, does this mean that in UK sizing there is nothing in between like the way US sizing has E and EE?

It seems like a big jump going from a D width to EEE width with nothing in between...

For my half-brogue suede re-orders I'm trying to decide between 12UK F or 11.5 UK G. My Full brogues fit nicely, but wondering if I can eliminate some of the length while keeping a good width with an 11.5 G.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by guster
If he is willing to do a plain cap-toe for this order,how do we let him know that - if orders are due today? It was not on the form last night.

e-mail.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now to throw another monkey wrench into my call to Alfred Sargent, I just received a pair of Half Brogue Willow Calf in a size 9.5 UK and they fit great and I'm a size 10.5 US.

Ahhhhhh!!!

the law

Reaction score
I'm a US 13D, and I received the UK 12 black calf monks. Fit was good, if not a little bit roomy. I could not imagine going any bigger, say, to a 12.5.

doogle

Reaction score
first post here.

I've found this thread while looking info on alfred sargent shoes, and I've decided to join in on the pre-orders here, primarily interested in the full brogues.

I was just wondering what lasts these shoes were made on? Here's some pics from a japanese site of the pair that originally got me interested (Right pic, shoe to the far left) vs Thin Red Line version (Left pic):

2826342057.jpg
4408127862.jpg

As you can see japanese version a wider silhouette than the Thin Red Line version. I was wondering if this was just the matter of different width sizing (typically made wider for Asian markets), or if it is made on an entirely different last. Can any experts comment on this?

doublebucklemonk

Reaction score
I am a US 12EEE and ordered a UK 11.5G. I emailed and asking Richard if this was correct, and he said that is the size he would recommend for me.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, thanks Stoff for mentioning that captoe.

I changed my order to include plain captoes in black calf, willow calf and snuff suede.

This is just such a great deal for people starting out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads